[alt.rock-n-roll.metal] Satanism and Fools...

pa2027@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Stupendous Man) (01/17/90)

In article <10602@thor.acc.stolaf.edu> seebs@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (--SeebS--) writes:
>Uhm, it has come to my attention that, once again, people are bringing up
>the Satanism in Metal issue.
>It may be a bit hard for some people to realize this, but it is *not*
>impossible to be a Christian and like metal. Trust me. Of the people I
>know who listen to metal, about 80-90% are Christian. Of the people I
>know who don't like metal, about 30% are Christian. Get the point?

Okay, I'm going to get on my soapbox now.... BE FOREWARNED

I agree with your point that one can be a practicing Christian and
still enjoy metal.  However, that is not to say that one always
beleives or supports every metal group and their message.
Fortunately for Christians, there are a lot of good metal bands out
there who also happen to be Christian.  I.e.  Saint, Deliverance,
Barren Cross.. However, there is on the metal scene many things
which a Christian, IMHO, has to avoid.  It can not be denied that
SOME groups in metal do focus upon Satanism.  Take for instance
Venom, Slayer, Omen and all the other black, death metal bands.
Their lyrics are usually filled with imagery of hell and death and
such which are not always condemnatory in their presentation.
    Contrary to what you stated, there are some aspects of Satanism
in Metallica.  I happen to enjoy their work immensly but I still
have problems with what they are saying.  Their first album, KILL
'EM ALL, did have some references to Satan with the song Junp in the
Fire.  After reading over the lyrics for that song, I've decided
that it is not something that I wish to listen to.  Most likely,
that song was an isolated instance and I have not seen any other
problems with their more recent work.

The major point I am trying to convey is for Christians, as well as
others, to take a good look at the lyrics of every group you listen
to.  And then decide whether it is something you wish to listen to
with a clear conscience.  There are plenty of bands out there that
are great.  I've gone over all of Iron Maiden's work and have few
objections as well as the progressive bands like Fates Warning.  And
then again, you could always stick with the progressive
neo-classical fusion instrumentalists like Vinnie Moore and Tony
Mcalpine.

Okay, You can have the box back.

Michael

--
Michael Butler - "Water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink"-
S.T. Coleridge and Iron Maiden////   Brad McQuaid - When reality

js8q+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Joseph Swick, Jr.) (01/17/90)

Stupendous Man writes:

>There are plenty of bands out there that
>are great.  I've gone over all of Iron Maiden's work and have few
>objections as well as the progressive bands like Fates Warning.

Just curious - how about that bozo that was there before Bruce
Dickinson ?  I can't even remember his name and I haven't
listened to a whole lot of early IM but I hear that he was getting a bit
too serious about satanism and that's one of the reasons he got
the boot.  Did any of this infiltrate their work?  Maiden heads - Is any of my
information on target at all?

---J. J.
    js8q@andrew.cmu.edu

weyand@csli.Stanford.EDU (Chris Weyand) (01/18/90)

js8q+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Joseph Swick, Jr.) writes:

>Stupendous Man writes:

>>There are plenty of bands out there that
>>are great.  I've gone over all of Iron Maiden's work and have few
>>objections as well as the progressive bands like Fates Warning.

>Just curious - how about that bozo that was there before Bruce
>Dickinson ?  I can't even remember his name and I haven't

Rich? Di'anno or something close to that I think.  I didn't think he was a bozo
I thought his vocals were great!  They really made the band I thought.

>listened to a whole lot of early IM but I hear that he was getting a bit
>too serious about satanism and that's one of the reasons he got
>the boot.  Did any of this infiltrate their work?  Maiden heads - Is any of my
>information on target at all?

I don't recall any satanism in their early work.  It may have been the
case that he was serious about satanism and got the boot because of it,
I don't know one way or the other about that, but regardless I don't think
it affected their work.

Come to think of it I recall a couple lines from the "Killers" album that
went
	"Devil's got hold of my soul he won't let me be"
	"Devil's got hold of my soul he's driving me mad"

from the song Prodigal Son (Great song!!).
I would interpret this as anti-satanic.

Chris Weyand
weyand@csli.Stanford.Edu