[alt.rock-n-roll.metal] Best METAL group an oxymoron

fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org (Axel Fischer) (01/15/90)

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>and the number one reason why Bill Wisner is superior:
>1) He doesn't post from BITNET

Superb! :-) :-) :-)

-Axel

--
fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org / fischer@db0tui6.BITNET / fischer@tmpmbx.UUCP
Bang-Europe : ...!{doitcr,gopnbg,smurf,tmpmbx}!utower!fischer

rick@ntmtv.UUCP (Rick Fisk) (01/17/90)

From article <1990Jan16.005148.22985@agate.berkeley.edu>, by gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith):

>>PS - I have no time for elitists like this, we're all small
>>potatoes in God's eyes.
>
>   You should hear what God thinks of heavy metal sometime.
O.K. I'll bite,

What does God think about Heavy Metal?

or............... are you gonna come back and tell me that you are God
and that you've already stated your opinion?

IMHO I think that you are lonely and have no friends. This is your only
means of communication with others. Do you feel really good now?

Rick
--
Rick Ashay@Crossfire Tecnology

amdahl!bnrmtvb!ntmtv!twoam!rick
(415) 940-2268

sjw2264@cec1.wustl.edu (Stephen John Von Worley) (01/17/90)

In article <1990Jan16.005148.22985@agate.berkeley.edu> gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:

>>What Mr. Smith has done is to create an air of distrust, not a
>>good thing on any network or network bboard.
>
>  This aint a bboard, this is the alt.net. It's about time you
>grew up and learned the difference.

Think about it, Mr. Smith.  If you really want to be picky, I suppose
you might consider yourself correct.  However, isn't the news really a
form of the common bulletin board implemented across the network?

>>PS - I have no time for elitists like this, we're all small
>>potatoes in God's eyes.
>
>  You should hear what God thinks of heavy metal sometime.

And I suppose you have heard what "God" thinks about this?  Are you
his spokesperson?  I'm beginning to believe you have serious mental
deficiencies.

What I really don't understand about you, Mr. Smith, is why you feel
the need to lash out against a group of people who you do not know in
the slightest.  When you post your hatred and degradations here, you
insult us all.  That was most likely your intention, but once again,
I wonder what would compel you to be so rude?

Heavy metal is a legitimate form of music; unfortunately, some folks,
such as Mr. Smith, seem to find it hard to respect the tastes of the
other free-thinking people around them.  I will admit, there is some
rather poor metal out there, but the majority of the genre is of high
quality.  And, believe it or not, a large number of bands out there do
sing about social issues and similar subject matter.  Maybe someday,
Mr. Smith, you will understand.  Until then, I think we all pity you.

 Stephen Von Worley                  "Honesty is my only excuse." -- Metallica
 Internet: sjw2264@cec2.wustl.edu    Ski the winter sun: Ski New Mexico!

dianeh@gryphon.COM (Diane Holt) (01/17/90)

In the referenced article js8q+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Joseph Swick, Jr.) writes:
>I wasn't gonna add to all this, but I just gotta.

Do ya'? Do ya' gotta really?

>1) If Gene W. Smith meant what he said, then the idiocy
>     speaks for itself.

Interesting ... I always thought idiocy spoke for itself regardless of
what Gene Ward Smith did or didn't mean by whatever he does or doesn't
say.

Hey -- I could be wrong...

>2) If he truly meant it as a joke or provocation, or whatever the heck,
>then it was far less than a mature thing to do.

Gosh darn and shucky-beans, it sure was.

>At first I thought, "Uh, oh, everybody's fallen for this lame ruse".  Then
>it hit me, No...they are in the right to strike back.  And why did people
>strike back?  Because they expect SINCERITY on the network.

Well, nnn-o, I don't think that was quite what it was...

They struck back because they got so threatened by someone else
bad-mouthing their choice in music -- they got de-<tada>-fen-sive.

I mean, really, if you stop and think about it, why should they care
two bits whether some guy they don't even know who lives up in
Berkeley and who's only ever even been seen by two other people
anyway likes or doesn't like that ridiculously named music, Heavy Metal?

Would you have given a shit whether he liked Country&Western? Nah --
you'd have applauded his sentiments, right-on-duded it right and left.

What a bunch on insecure, safety-in-numbers defensive little whiners.

("Crank it *up*, duuude -- we are *Heav-ay*!" <snort,snigger,giggle>)

>When I see opinions I consider stupid or moronic, I at least want to believe
>that the person who said it believes it.

Oh, I agree -- reassures me right up.  No problem.

>What Mr. Smith has done is to create an air of distrust,
>not a good thing on any network or network bboard.  Nice abuse of
>trust, dude.

Ruhlly.  Righteous abuse.  Like, guy, Geeeene -- what are you, like,
totally bogus or what?  I mean, like get ruhl, Gene -- come on', dude --
get a guitar and some lip-gloss and, like, get with the program, okay?

>The united stand against the post only served to fuel the fire of the love
>these metalheads have of Heavy Metal!

Right.  Safety in numbers.

Didn't I say that already?

>PS - I have no time for elitists like this, we're all small potatoes in
>God's eyes.

Boy, am I ever out of it -- I thought we were all just eyes in God's potatoe.

Duh.

Diane Holt
(dianeh@binky.UUCP)

"Now is tomorrow's yesterday."
              --Cosmic California Proverb

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) (01/17/90)

dianeh@gryphon.COM (Diane Holt) writes:

[lots of inflammatory drivel deleted]

>Would you have given a shit whether he liked Country&Western? Nah --
>you'd have applauded his sentiments, right-on-duded it right and left.

Most likely.  I've found that HM people are usually more open minded than
most.  They'll give just about any music a chance before passing judgement,
and they usually don't thrust their opinion on others.

>What a bunch on insecure, safety-in-numbers defensive little whiners.

Safety in numbers ?  I'm afraid you're wrong, kiddo.  HM people are a
minority in most cases.  Most people go for that trendy shit they play on
"Hit-Loop" stations across the country.  They follow like cattle.  The
essense of metal is freedom.  Freedom of choice, freedom of mind, and free
thinking.  The "trendoid masses" listen to music that stresses fitting in
with the crowd, and being "normal".  Listen to Fates Warning's "Part of the
Machine", or "Static Acts" on /Perfect Symmetry/ for a good example of
the metal psyche.

Defensive ?  Of course.  Wouldn't you be if someone verbally stomped on
something you love ?  Opinionated tactless oafs have no place in this
newsgroup.

[more drivel nuked]

>>The united stand against the post only served to fuel the fire of the love
>>these metalheads have of Heavy Metal!

>Right.  Safety in numbers.

>Didn't I say that already?

Yeah.  And you're wrong...  Again.

>Duh.

Boy.  Is that just well practiced, or does it come naturally ?  :-)

--
James S. Burwell
UUCP:  ...!rutgers!faatcrl!jimb        Internet:  jimb@faatcrl.UUCP

md89mch@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Martin Howe) (01/17/90)

In article <1990Jan11.065239.6785@agate.berkeley.edu> gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
> Now that the US Army has determined that crap like you  (non-oxy) morons
> listen to is a form of torture, do you look at things any differently ?

1. I hate being bombarded with Minogue, SAW, TV Jingles and a whole lot of
   styles of music I hear on the Radio, TV and in supermarkets, and probably
   the sort of music YOU listen to (which is ?). However, I would not assert
   that you are a moron, merely that you have the manners of a pig.

> I'm glad this group got created, so I could get this off my chest--I hate
> your guts. You've made my life miserable, and I just wish all you puke-bags
> could be ground up for catfood or made into lamp-shades.

2 Er., my cat listens to Motorhead with me all the time.

> GOD do I hate heavy metal.
Does He agree with your posting ? I sorta thought He said love your neighbor.
(* that's not a flame, I'm serious. *)

>  Do you ever think about the agony you cause other people?  Do
3. ????
>you care? Could you turn that fucking shit DOWN already?
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^
4. NO, but I do turn down my MUSIC, if people ask me politely. You'll find it
   in the dictionary under 'P'.

5. Your real name isn't Stubna by any chance, is it ?

6. Are you not clever enough to understand the lyrics of most Metal ?
   Try a remedial class at Kindergarten.

7. Try critiscising things you know, rather than things you don't, please.

Yours pityingly,
Martin Howe.
--
Martin C. Howe           | "Motorhead will be the DIRTIEST band in
MSc. Microelectronics    |  Rock N' Roll. If this band moved in next door,

crusader@kannel.lut.fi (Mikko Hy|kki) (01/17/90)

gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:

>  You should hear what God thinks of heavy metal sometime.

Ah!! Oh!! Is heavy metal mentioned in the Bible?? Or does God speak to you??
You mean that you have heard God saying: "Heavy metal is shit!"?? Do you hear
other voices??

Just read my .sig.

--
==How can you call me evil?======I==crusader@kannel.lut.fi==I===DEATH========
I Have you spoken to God today...I  Punkkerikatu 1 B 22     I    TO         I

shea@ntmtv.UUCP (Ray Shea) (01/19/90)

In article <1990Jan16.204857.18042@cec1.wustl.edu>, sjw2264@cec1.wustl.edu (Stephen John Von Worley) writes:
> In article <1990Jan16.005148.22985@agate.berkeley.edu> gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
>
> >>PS - I have no time for elitists like this, we're all small
> >>potatoes in God's eyes.
> >
> >  You should hear what God thinks of heavy metal sometime.
>
> And I suppose you have heard what "God" thinks about this?  Are you
> his spokesperson?

Seems to me Mr. JJ Swick was the first one in this little tirade to
claim to be privy to the Big Guy's thoughts.  Gene was just making
fun of him, something he's very good at.

--
Ray Shea
                            Freedom of speech...just watch what you say.