[alt.rock-n-roll.metal] OtherListeningAdventures

mk3j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Marcia Karen) (01/18/90)

	Although metal dominates my listening library, it does not stand alone
by any means. For example, in the "B" section of tapes, Beethoven sits
between Bach and Black Sabbath. Over in the "H" section, Hooked on
Classics sits just under Hades and Helloween. An album by Kesher, a
Jewish rock/pop band sits in "K" right before Kiss. i like reggae, but
no one has been able to recommend albums to me (but i like Third World).
And i'll admit, the first album i ever bought was Million Mile
Reflections by the Charlie Daniel's Band (gimme a break, i was seven or
eight years old). i'd just as soon go see the Pittsburgh Symphony as go
see VoiVod (the latter of these two i'll be doing tonight). i was
looking through the paper last night, and stumbled across a review of
"NothingFace", and the reviewer does NOT consider them to be metal,
thrash, OR hardcore (sorry Hans). i agree with his judgement that they
stand alone. They absolutely do.

	Replies requested, all will be answered.
	Thanx.

metallicious moshin marcia
the biker biology babe

mojo@reed.bitnet (feedback) (01/19/90)

My tape collection is sort of random: a lot of metal, a fair amount of thrash
and industrial, a small but growing collection of jazz and blues, Pink
Floyd, twenty or so live tapes of the Grateful Dead, a smattering of
classical, Bauhaus, PiL, REM, Kitaro...

IMHO, jazz is far too much neglected among metalheads.  If you thought Paul
Gilbert was fast, listen to John Scofield or John McLaughlin.  It's harder
to listen to (especially a lot of recent near-fusion stuff, which is often
in ridiculous time signatures and sometimes just barely in a key), but very
rewarding, especially if you like tight instrumentation...

king@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (01/19/90)

In article <IZhA_mK00Xod01oXNO@andrew.cmu.edu> mk3j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Marcia Karen) writes:
>i like reggae, but no one has been able to recommend albums to me

If you don't have any Bob Marley & the Wailers albums then you better get
some. While this would not be newer reggae, it would be newer music that
your Black Sabbath album. Bob Marley was (and in many minds still is) the
very spirit of reggae. He was considered a god, and I don't think he ever
produced a bad album.

>i'd just as soon go see the Pittsburgh Symphony as go
>see VoiVod (the latter of these two i'll be doing tonight).

So, then, why are you doing the latter?