[alt.rock-n-roll.metal] Finnish National Masochism and Heavy Metal Fandom--a correlation?

crusader@kannel.lut.fi (Mikko Hy|kki) (01/16/90)

gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:

>Maybe you should steam yourself half to
>death, beat yourself with sticks, and jump naked into a bank of
>snow. You'll feel better, your head will be clearer and you can
>work on the problem some more.

That only indicateds that you are even more narrow-minded: You don't accept any
other music than that you yourself like and you refuse to understand other cul-
tures than your own. We Finns have bathed in sauna for about 2000 years. How
long has your American culture existed?

You also show that you are ignorant. We are used to the heat, it makes us
relax. We don't use sticks, but small branches with leaves still in them tied
together. And about rolling in snow...I haven't done it for a little while, but
it is refreshing.

And hey, are you sure that your forefathers weren't Finns??

Sorry about that earlier article...your article made me furious and I didn't
think before typing. You see, we Finns have a short fuse.

I still think that you should reconsider your attitude towards metal. Try to
get rid of your prejudices.

--
==How can you call me evil?======I==crusader@kannel.lut.fi==I===DEATH========
I Have you spoken to God today...I  Punkkerikatu 1 B 22     I    TO         I

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (01/17/90)

In article <1208@kannel.lut.fi> crusader@kannel.lut.fi (Mikko Hy|kki) writes:
>gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
>
>>Maybe you should steam yourself half to
>>death, beat yourself with sticks, and jump naked into a bank of
>>snow. You'll feel better, your head will be clearer and you can
>>work on the problem some more.
>
>That only indicateds that you are even more narrow-minded: You don't accept any
>other music than that you yourself like and you refuse to understand other cul-
>tures than your own. We Finns have bathed in sauna for about 2000 years.

And you're still not clean ?

>How long has your American culture existed?

Uhh, I dunno. What year was the hot air popcorn popper invented ?

js8q+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Joseph Swick, Jr.) (01/17/90)

crusader@kannel.lut.fi (Mikko Hy|kki) writes:

>How long has your American culture existed?

How long has Metallica existed?  Not as long as a lot of
bands but they're still the best!!!

disclaimer:   :-)   :-)    :-)   :-)  .......   :-)

gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) (01/17/90)

In article <1208@kannel.lut.fi>, crusader@kannel (Mikko Hy|kki) writes:

>We Finns have bathed in sauna for about 2000 years.

  If you see a pasty mass of wrinkles diving into a bank of
snow--that's a Finn who's *finally* gotten out of the sauna.

>We don't use sticks, but small branches with leaves still in them
>tied together.

  Well, OK. I guess it's not strange to beat yourself with a
tree.  Do you listen to heavy metal while you do it?

>And hey, are you sure that your forefathers weren't Finns??

  My forefathers were Swedes. We used to keep Finns as pets.

>You see, we Finns have a short fuse.

  No wonder you stay in the sauna all the time. "Oh no! Someone
lit the Finn! Everybody duck!"
--
ucbvax!garnet!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
"Without NNTP, the brahms gang itself would be impossible" Erik E. Fair

crusader@kannel.lut.fi (Mikko Hy|kki) (01/17/90)

gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:

>  My forefathers were Swedes. We used to keep Finns as pets.

Swedes?? HA !! No wonder your IQ is so low. Swedes are degenerated. When Fin-
land was a part of their country, they used to fight many wars which brought
Sweden the position of a super-power in Europe. The problem was that they were
only the commanders. The best fighting troops were consisted of Finns. So, when
they lost Finland to Russia, their country lost its political position.
   Most of us Finns despise Swedes. Those submarine conflicts shocked 'em
because it was the first threat from the east that we Finns weren't stopping.
Imagine, they had to do something theirselves !!

   National masochism - ha ! If bathing in sauna is something you can't stand,
so what? We do what we want. Stay there and stare at your own ah-so-all-american
navel.

   No - all Finns aren't heavy metal fans. In fact, we metal fans are a small
minority.

viikki@kannel.lut.fi (Juha Viikki) (01/18/90)

crusader@kannel.lut.fi (Mikko Hy|kki) writes:

>Swedes?? HA !! No wonder your IQ is so low. Swedes are degenerated. When Fin-
>land was a part of their country

Mikko, you have got it wrong this time. Sweden was only a part of Finland
until we gave the Swedes their independence. Then Russia became
our colony...

>   No - all Finns aren't heavy metal fans.

I am not. I hate it. Bird lives!

JTViikki
---

bondc@spdcc.COM (Asmodeus) (01/18/90)

In article <1990Jan17.021156.5771@agate.berkeley.edu> gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:

>  My forefathers were Swedes. We used to keep Finns as pets.

But Gene ... aren't they awfully hard to house-train?

>>You see, we Finns have a short fuse.

Apparently there is at least one Finn who is short
on more than just a fuse.

--
"It is not possible to convey sarcasm to certain members of the
 net without using a 2x4.  The smiley face merely reminds them

canuhed@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Dylan Salisbury) (01/19/90)

In article <1215@kannel.lut.fi> crusader@kannel.lut.fi (Mikko Hy|kki) writes:
>gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
>
>>  My forefathers were Swedes. We used to keep Finns as pets.
>
>Swedes?? HA !! No wonder your IQ is so low. Swedes are degenerated. When Fin-

Hey, everyone, care to keep this sort of flaming OFF of alt.rock-n-roll.metal?
Take it to a politics or history node if you must, or just leave it in
alt.flame.
--
 ___________
/___________\   Mister            Dylan Salisbury           And to my cat,

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (01/19/90)

In article <1215@kannel.lut.fi> crusader@kannel.lut.fi (Mikko Hy|kki) writes:
>gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
>
>>  My forefathers were Swedes. We used to keep Finns as pets.
>
>only the commanders. The best fighting troops were consisted of Finns. So, when
>they lost Finland to Russia, their country lost its political position.

If they were so good, why did they lose to Russia ?

>   No - all Finns aren't heavy metal fans. In fact, we metal fans are a small
>minority.

Not small enough.

In article <7324@lindy.Stanford.EDU> canuhed@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Dylan Salisbury) writes:

>Hey, everyone, care to keep this sort of flaming OFF of alt.rock-n-roll.metal?
>Take it to a politics or history node if you must, or just leave it in
>alt.flame.
>--
> ___________
>/_________\_\   Mister            Dylan Salisbury           And to my cat,
>     /#\          Penishead       dickhed@ucscb.ucsc.edu    Mittens, I bestow
>     / \                                                    my entire, vast...

Hey, everyone, care to keep this sort of .signature OFF of alt.flame?
Take it to a politics or history node if you must, or just leave it in
alt.rock-n-roll.metal.

john@frog.UUCP (SuperUser) (01/19/90)

In article <1208@kannel.lut.fi>, crusader@kannel.lut.fi (Mikko Hy|kki) writes:
> gsmith@garnet.berkeley.edu (Gene W. Smith) writes:
v >Maybe you should steam yourself half to
< >death, beat yourself with sticks, and jump naked into a bank of
^ >snow. You'll feel better, your head will be clearer and you can
> >work on the problem some more.
< You also show that you are ignorant. We are used to the heat, it makes us
^ relax.

Seems like you got out of the sauna a few hours too soon.
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

Happiness is Planet Earth in your rear-view mirror.	- Sam Hurt

crusader@kannel.lut.fi (Mikko Hy|kki) (01/19/90)

Joo joo, seh{n ei haitannut mit{{n kun suomalaisia haukuttiin, mutta voi hurja
ja kauhistus kun sanon pahan sanan ruotsalaisista. On sinullakin jotain kriti-
soimisesta opittavaa.

--

dianeh@gryphon.COM (Diane Holt) (01/19/90)

In article <1208@kannel.lut.fi> crusader@kannel.lut.fi (Mikko Hy|kki) writes:
>I haven't done it for a little while, [...]

What a surprise.

>You see, we Finns have a short fuse.

Well, you know, size isn't everything.  (Check out soc.singles for lots
of articles that will boost your insecurity in this area.)

>I still think that you should reconsider your attitude towards metal.
>Try to get rid of your prejudices.

Why?  Why do you care?  What could it possibly matter to you? What if it
was just you and your short-fuse, Gertrude, who liked that shit -- I mean,
music?  Would you still like it?

If you answer that last question "Yes, dammit, I would!", then I suggest
you stop and think (assuming you can get your mind off Gertrude for a
minute): What the fuck do you care if Gene Ward Smith thinks it sounds
like two cats fighting in a garbage can?

Beat yourself with a tree until you figure it out.

Or until you collapse in ecstasy.

Whichever comes first. <hyuck,hyuck>

Diane Holt
(dianeh@binky.UUCP)

"Never go out with a guy whose hair is bigger than his IQ."