[alt.rock-n-roll.metal] ME

dianeh@gryphon.COM (Diane Holt) (01/20/90)

In article <1166@faatcrl.UUCP> jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) writes:
>dianeh@gryphon.COM (Diane Holt) writes:
>
>[lots of inflammatory drivel deleted]

"Inflammatory"?  Moi?

>I've found that HM people are usually more open minded than most.

Oh how true.  So "open minded" are they that they're perfectly willing
to let someone think the music they like is *shit* without ever feeling
any kind of slightest need to convince that person otherwise.

>They'll give just about any music a chance before passing judgement, [...]

I see.  They'll give it a chance before passing judgement on it.  That's
mighty white of them.  Of course, that implies that at some point
they will, in fact, pass judgement on it, doesn't it?  And when they do,
what happens if it turns out they don't fucking *like* it?

They...

>[...] they usually don't thrust their opinion on others.

They *don't*??  Let's just see, okay?  (Bear with me on this one -- you
won't be sorry you did.)

>Most people go for that trendy shit they play on "Hit-Loop" stations across
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^
>the country.  They follow like cattle. [...]  The "trendoid masses" listen
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>to music that stresses fitting in with the crowd, and being "normal".

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I know I certainly feel better for it.

>The essense of metal is freedom.  Freedom of choice, freedom of mind, and
>free thinking.

You mean, like the freedom to like "'Hit-Loop' stations", or "trendy shit"?
How about the freedom to think "Heavy Metal" sucks big, green pachodas?

>>What a bunch on insecure, safety-in-numbers defensive little whiners.
>
>Safety in numbers ?  I'm afraid you're wrong, kiddo.  HM people are a
>minority in most cases.

(Please -- somebody -- somewhere -- explain the irony of this statement
 to this mindless little moron.  I can't even deal with it right now.)

>Listen to Fates Warning's "Part of the Machine", or "Static Acts" on
>/Perfect Symmetry/ [...]

Oh well, no -- thanks just the same, though.  How about Ministry?  Can
I listen to them instead?  (I want to check with you first because I
know how "open minded" you are and all...)

>Defensive ?  Of course.

What's this?  What's this?  But, but, didn't you just get through telling
us all how "open minded" you were and how you _weren't_ insecure little
whiners?

>Wouldn't you be if someone verbally stomped on something you love ?

Well, nnn-o, no I wouldn't.

What do I care what someone I don't even know thinks -- positively OR
negatively -- about something I like?  (This is not rhetorical.  Please
try to answer this question.  Please try to make it good.  [I can't wait.])

>Opinionated tactless oafs [...]

You mean, ones who say things like "trendy shit" and "trendoid masses"?

(Just curious.)

>[...] have no place in this newsgroup.

Wait a second -- let me see if I've got this...

You think a newsgroup that's devoted to "discussing" "Heavy Metal" music
means that anyone posting to it *must* "discuss" it *positively*?  And
that would then imply that that's the case for _all_ newsgroups, right?

Okay -- I don't ever want to see another dissenting opinion on the Net
in any newsgroup anywhere ever.

(And we'll be *watching* you, so you better look out!)

>[more drivel nuked]

"Drivel"?  How "open minded" and "tactful" of you...

>>>The united stand against the post only served to fuel the fire of the love
>>>these metalheads have of Heavy Metal!
>
>>Right.  Safety in numbers.
>
>>Didn't I say that already?
>
>Yeah.  And you're wrong...  Again.

As you've so eloquently proven.

<a-aha-ahahahaha-ahahahahahahahahahahahahaoooooooooooooooo-ahahahahahahahaha>

>>Duh.
>
>Boy.  Is that just well practiced, or does it come naturally ?  :-)

Ow!  Ow, ow, ow! <ssssssizzle>

>For a good example of the metal psyche.

Call 1-800-MINDLESS.

Diane Holt
(dianeh@binky.UUCP)

"Fool."
   --Clay Bond

(Damn, I like using that one.  Thanks, Clay.)

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) (01/20/90)

dianeh@gryphon.COM (Diane Holt) writes:

>In article <1166@faatcrl.UUCP> jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) writes:
>>dianeh@gryphon.COM (Diane Holt) writes:
>>
>>[lots of inflammatory drivel deleted]

>"Inflammatory"?  Moi?

Yes.  I sure thought so.  So does everyone else in this newsgroup who's
using it for the purpose it was created for.  Please go away soon.

>>I've found that HM people are usually more open minded than most.

>Oh how true.  So "open minded" are they that they're perfectly willing
>to let someone think the music they like is *shit* without ever feeling
>any kind of slightest need to convince that person otherwise.

Oh.  Please explain what "to let someone think the music they like is
*shit* without ever feeling any kind of slightest need to convince [...]"
has to do with being open minded.

>>They'll give just about any music a chance before passing judgement, [...]

>I see.  They'll give it a chance before passing judgement on it.  That's
>mighty white of them.  Of course, that implies that at some point
>they will, in fact, pass judgement on it, doesn't it?  And when they do,
>what happens if it turns out they don't fucking *like* it?

Then they don't like it.  Perhaps I phrased things wrongly.  If they don't
like it, they keep it to themselves.  Or perhaps it read perfectly clearly
before you quoted me out of context, and re-arranged a "bit".

>They...

>>[...] they usually don't thrust their opinion on others.

>They *don't*??  Let's just see, okay?  (Bear with me on this one -- you
>won't be sorry you did.)

>>Most people go for that trendy shit they play on "Hit-Loop" stations across
>                         ^^^^^^^^^^^
>>the country.  They follow like cattle. [...]  The "trendoid masses" listen
>                           ^^^^^^^^^^^              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>to music that stresses fitting in with the crowd, and being "normal".

>Thanks for clearing that up for me.

>I know I certainly feel better for it.

Your welcome.  That's just my opinion.  I'm not saying that listening to
that type of music is wrong.  Go ahead.  It makes no difference to me, or
anyone on this newsgroup.  Just don't come into our newsgroup tell us what to
listen to, or give us your opinion of a type of music we listen to without us
asking for it.  Remember, we didn't start this flame thread.  You asked for
my opinions.

>>The essense of metal is freedom.  Freedom of choice, freedom of mind, and
>>free thinking.

>You mean, like the freedom to like "'Hit-Loop' stations", or "trendy shit"?
>How about the freedom to think "Heavy Metal" sucks big, green pachodas?

Read above.  I don't care about your opinion.  It means nothing to me.
So why is it so important for YOU to post in this newsgroup, and use up
net bandwidth ?  Are you insecure, or do you just crave attention ?

>>>What a bunch on insecure, safety-in-numbers defensive little whiners.
>>
>>Safety in numbers ?  I'm afraid you're wrong, kiddo.  HM people are a
>>minority in most cases.

>(Please -- somebody -- somewhere -- explain the irony of this statement

Ok.  I see the irony.  But in most cases, we are a minority, and must put
up with opinionated boobs like you telling us our music is "*shit*"
(as you so intelligently put it), etc.  Don't you think we hear that kind
of thing enough without having to hear it in a metal newsgroup ???

> to this mindless little moron.  I can't even deal with it right now.)
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Then again, I see where you're coming from.  Yer mammy wears combat boots,
nya nya.  Is that more to your tastes ??

>>Listen to Fates Warning's "Part of the Machine", or "Static Acts" on
>>/Perfect Symmetry/ [...]

>Oh well, no -- thanks just the same, though.  How about Ministry?  Can
>I listen to them instead?  (I want to check with you first because I
>know how "open minded" you are and all...)

Gee..  I've never heard them before.  Maybe I'll give them a listen
sometime just to humor you.  Metal isn't the only music I listen to.
Most metal people I meet listen to a pretty wide range of music.

>>Defensive ?  Of course.

>What's this?  What's this?  But, but, didn't you just get through telling
>us all how "open minded" you were and how you _weren't_ insecure little
>whiners?

Read the sentence below, which you split from the one above.

>>Wouldn't you be if someone verbally stomped on something you love ?

>Well, nnn-o, no I wouldn't.

O.. Sure you wouldn't.  Didn't you just advocate defending our music ?
Read a few paragraphs up, puppy.

>What do I care what someone I don't even know thinks -- positively OR
>negatively -- about something I like?  (This is not rhetorical.  Please
>try to answer this question.  Please try to make it good.  [I can't wait.])

I don't know what you care, no one is attacking something you hold dear.
How would you react ?  Would you try to defend it ?

Actually, you probably don't realize that I wasn't really even trying to
defend our music.  The basic tone of my message was, and is, FUCK OFF.
You're not wanted here.  I'm sure you could satisfy you obvious penchant
for argueing, and your craving for attention by keeping to alt.flame.

>>Opinionated tactless oafs [...]

>You mean, ones who say things like "trendy shit" and "trendoid masses"?

>(Just curious.)

Just keep in mind who started this thread.  Tact ends when the first person
ceases to be tactful.  You win the prize.

>>[...] have no place in this newsgroup.

>Wait a second -- let me see if I've got this...

>You think a newsgroup that's devoted to "discussing" "Heavy Metal" music
>means that anyone posting to it *must* "discuss" it *positively*?  And
>that would then imply that that's the case for _all_ newsgroups, right?

Certainly not.  But a completely inflammatory message slamming the subject
of the newsgroup, and the people interested in that subject is uncalled
for.  There are limits to everything.  There is a big difference between
positive, negative, and derrogatory.

[...]

>>[more drivel nuked]

>"Drivel"?  How "open minded" and "tactful" of you...

I think it's a pretty accurate assesment.  But it may be closer to babble..
Or maybe blather... hmm..

Gee.. I don't remember ever saying that.. Quoting from other messages ?

>>>Right.  Safety in numbers.
>>
>>>Didn't I say that already?
>>
>>Yeah.  And you're wrong...  Again.

>As you've so eloquently proven.

I think so.  And it wasn't very difficult.

>>>Duh.
>>
>>Boy.  Is that just well practiced, or does it come naturally ?  :-)

>Ow!  Ow, ow, ow! <ssssssizzle>

Gee.  Maybe that's what you really wanted.  A masochist perhaps ?

>>For a good example of the metal psyche.

Gee.  This sentence moved a whole lot on its own!  I kinda remember writing
it right next to a couple of songs you may want to listen to, so you have
an idea of the metal psyche.  Wonder how it got broken off and moved all the
way down here ...  Must be some maniac with a text editor!

For a good time, call Diane at:
>1-800-MINDLESS.

[two can play at THAT game!]

>Diane Holt
>(dianeh@binky.UUCP)

Why don't ya quit while you're ahead, before you wind up in EVERYONE'S
KILL file.. ?

ta ta...
--
James S. Burwell