[net.space] SRBs Detonated

SECRIST%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA (01/31/86)

Date:    Fri, 31-JAN-1986 09:22 EST
To:      SPACE@S1-B.Arpa

Excerpt from AP in local morning paper, Fri., Jan. 31, 1986:

"Also found were two cone-shaped objects described as "about 10 feet" in
diameter.  One had an attached parachute, indicating it came from one of
the solid rocket boosters blown up by the range safety officer."

So much for the SRBs being intact to give us a Big Clue.  Then again, even
if they survived impact in the ocean, they'd be way off the continental
shelf, and who knows how we'd get them back...

Richard
SECRIST%OAK.SAInet.MFEnet@LLL-MFE.Arpa

space@ucbvax.UUCP (02/01/86)

In article <8601311422.AA07947@s1-b.arpa> you write:
>Quote: "May your future be limited only by your dreams." -- Christa McAuliffe
>
>So much for the SRBs being intact to give us a Big Clue.  Then again, even
>if they survived impact in the ocean, they'd be way off the continental
>shelf, and who knows how we'd get them back...
>
>Richard
>SECRIST%OAK.SAInet.MFEnet@LLL-MFE.Arpa

They float.  How else would NASA be able to reuse them?