[net.space] bridges not yet crossed

REM@IMSSS (Robert Elton Maas, this host known locally only) (02/02/86)

J> Date: 29 Jan 86 08:11:57 EST (Wed)
J> From: James R. Van Zandt <jrv@mitre-bedford.arpa>
J> 1. How long should we wait before launching another shuttle,
J>    if we CANNOT find the cause for the explosion?

Good question for speculation, but let's not cross our bridges before
we reach them. Indeed NASA released films of flame on side of right
SRB for about ten seconds before the explosion, which could have been
first cause. Second cause may be that the flame heated up the
detonation device that was supposed to blow up the shuttle in case it
was out of control headed toward populated area. If true, doubly
ironic that (1) detonation device actually was immediate cause of loss
of orbiter (2) huge chunks landed despite detonation (3) SRBs
continued from scene of detonation as if nothing happened, not even
going much out of control for a while, requiring their own detonation later.

J> 2. Should we build another shuttle, or the next generation spacecraft?
Yes.

In article <8602020835.AA05414@s1-b.arpa> REM%IMSSS@SU-SCORE.ARPA writes:

>J> 2. Should we build another shuttle, or the next generation spacecraft?
>Yes.

        Not a bad idea! Do *both*!! AND design a new unmanned satelite
launching system as well. Maybe a couple more deep space probes.
--

                                Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa