[net.space] Columbia Replacement

Cargo@HI-MULTICS.ARPA ("David S. Cargo") (01/29/86)

Given that the shuttle program will continue, how will the program deal
with a decline in their orbiter inventory?  I can see three
possibilities.
 (1) NASA will not replace the Columbia, and will simply fly fewer
missions with the remaining shuttles.
 (2) NASA will have Rockwell build another shuttle.  This will take some
time (and a lot of money), but would restore the 4th shuttle.  (Some
have said that there are already a substantial number of spare parts, so
that everything wouldn't have to be done from scratch.)
 (3) NASA will have Rockwell refit the Enterprise to make it fully
operational.  Nobody has mentioned this one.  Is it even possible?  I
don't know how far the Enterprise is from being an operational orbiter,
instead of a boiler plate shuttle replica.  Anybody have any ideas?

chuq@sun.uucp (Chuq Von Rospach) (01/30/86)

> Given that the shuttle program will continue, how will the program deal
> with a decline in their orbiter inventory?  I can see three
> possibilities.
>  (1) NASA will not replace the Columbia, and will simply fly fewer
> missions with the remaining shuttles.

I don't think the military (not to mention anyone else) would like this.
With major payload competition from France (among others) and the shuttles
already booked solid, they can't really afford this option unless the
US is willing to give up space dominance.

>  (2) NASA will have Rockwell build another shuttle.  This will take some
> time (and a lot of money), but would restore the 4th shuttle.  (Some
> have said that there are already a substantial number of spare parts, so
> that everything wouldn't have to be done from scratch.)

the cost figure I've heard is 1.1 billion, and about a year (I think). That
is before any re-engineering needed to prevent whatever caused the loss of
the Challenger.

>  (3) NASA will have Rockwell refit the Enterprise to make it fully
> operational.  Nobody has mentioned this one.  Is it even possible?  I
> don't know how far the Enterprise is from being an operational orbiter,
> instead of a boiler plate shuttle replica.  Anybody have any ideas?

It is not possible. Enterprise, being first, was more a mockup than a real
orbiter and is significantly heavier than the production schedules. They
would have to significantly reduce payloads to orbit it, and I'm not really
sure if it was ever certified as spaceworthy.

There is a couple of possible options that weren't mentioned:

(4) Sell the shuttles to Boeing, since they have been trying to buy them for
about 5 years, and turn space into a commercial venture.  Make all
non-military space operations work in the public sector, perhaps with
government help to some degree.

(5) Take a closer look at what is being sent in the shuttle as payload, and
redirect stuff that doesn't need human care to unmanned (Titan or
equivalent) rocket launches -- do we really need a crew of seven to ship out
sattelites? One problem I've seen at Nasa is that because of budgetary
problems they've put all of their eggs in the shuttle basket. Perhaps now is
the time to lobbty for a REAL budget and use men where men are neccessary
and robots where robots are acceptable. A lot of payload that could have
been shipped on Titan boosters was sent in the shuttle to justify the
shuttles existence, and it is probably time to rethink that.

--
:From catacombs of Castle Tarot:        Chuq Von Rospach
sun!chuq@decwrl.DEC.COM                 {hplabs,ihnp4,nsc,pyramid}!sun!chuq

My uncle told me all of this. It must be true, because I know my uncle, and he
is as honest as me.

ritter@spp1.UUCP (Phillip A. Ritter) (01/31/86)

In article <860129202758.780479@HI-MULTICS.ARPA> Cargo@HI-MULTICS.ARPA ("David S. Cargo") writes:
>...I can see three options for NASA...
> (3) NASA will have Rockwell refit the Enterprise to make it fully
>operational.  Nobody has mentioned this one.  Is it even possible?  I
>don't know how far the Enterprise is from being an operational orbiter,
>instead of a boiler plate shuttle replica.  Anybody have any ideas?

I believe that Rockwell was asked by the DoD in the early '80s about making
the Enterprise a fully operational shuttle.  At that time they were concerned
about not having enough shuttle capacity, relying on NASA, etc. (the DoD is
very paranoid).  I am not sure, but I believe that the results of the report
were positive and the cost would not be too much more than two or three times
what Columbia's overhaul cost.

Anyone from Rockwell care to confirm or deny?

Phil Ritter
--
Phillip A. Ritter

don@umd5.UUCP (02/01/86)

>> Given that the shuttle program will continue, how will the program deal
>> with a decline in their orbiter inventory?  I can see three
>> possibilities.
>>  (1) NASA will not replace the Columbia, and will simply fly fewer
>> missions with the remaining shuttles.
>>
>>  (2) NASA will have Rockwell build another shuttle.  This will take some
>> time (and a lot of money), but would restore the 4th shuttle.  (Some
>> have said that there are already a substantial number of spare parts, so
>> that everything wouldn't have to be done from scratch.)
>
> the cost figure I've heard is 1.1 billion, and about a year (I think). That
> is before any re-engineering needed to prevent whatever caused the loss of
> the Challenger.

The DoD has allocated (but not appropriated) about $2 billion in case there
is a "catastrophic loss" of one orbiter from Vandenburg AFB.

> >  (3) NASA will have Rockwell refit the Enterprise to make it fully
> > operational.  Nobody has mentioned this one.  Is it even possible?  I
> > don't know how far the Enterprise is from being an operational orbiter,
> > instead of a boiler plate shuttle replica.  Anybody have any ideas?
>
> It is not possible. Enterprise, being first, was more a mockup than a real
> orbiter and is significantly heavier than the production schedules. They
> would have to significantly reduce payloads to orbit it, and I'm not really
> sure if it was ever certified as spaceworthy.

The US Space Shuttle Enterprise has already been donated by NASA to the
Smithsonian Institute. I've heard the cost of retrofitting the Enterprise
would exceed the cost of a brand-new orbiter.

--
--==---==---==--
"beware the fruminous Bandersnatch"

  ARPA: don@umd5.UMD.EDU
BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
  UUCP: ..!{ seismo!umcp-cs, ihnp4!rlgvax }!cvl!umd5!don

(NOTE: Please mail to  umcp-cs!cvl!umd5!don  NOT  umd5!cvl!umcp-cs!don)
umcp-cs ::= mimsy.UMD.EDU | maryland.ARPA | umcp-cs.UUCP

In article <860129202758.780479@HI-MULTICS.ARPA> Cargo@HI-MULTICS.ARPA ("David S. Cargo") writes:
> (3) NASA will have Rockwell refit the Enterprise to make it fully
>operational.  Nobody has mentioned this one.  Is it even possible?  I
>don't know how far the Enterprise is from being an operational orbiter,
>instead of a boiler plate shuttle replica.  Anybody have any ideas?

	I have it from a reliable source(someone actually involved in
shuttle construction/maintenence) that refitting the Enterprise would
cost as much or more than building a complete new shuttle. So this is
highly unlikely.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

space@ucbvax.UUCP (02/03/86)

Enterprise has already been donated to the Smithsonian and stripped of
any usable parts.  It's too old to be easily updated to the current
design, so it would be easier to build a new one.  The assembly line
has been kept open because NASA hoped for a 5th operational shuttle.
				Dave Newkirk, ihnp4!ihuxl!dcn

dwhitney@uok.UUCP (02/04/86)

>...I don't know how far Enterprise is from being an operational
>.shuttle...

Though I have yet to hear this mentioned by any members of NASA or
the networks, this idea to me seems far more sensible than spending
the money involved in a from-scratch shuttle.  If Enterprise weren't
reasonably close to an operational shuttle in terms of design alone,
it wouldn't have served very well as a prototype (i.e. aerodynamics
structure, etc)

From what I understand, Enterprise is simply on display on the West
Coast.  Given the rate at which NASA will fall behind its schedule
each month it waits for the investigations and search teams to
complete their research and findings into the loss of Challenger,
it seems that refitting the Enterprise to be the most expedient.
I believe that the main types of refit required would involve
tiling of the shuttle exterior, installation of engines, and of
course, the necessary computer and on-board control systems it
couldn't possibly have by virtue of its "retirement."

Of course, if any of the above information is incorrect or incomplete,
please correct it, because it has been some time since I heard much
about Enterprise.  It merely seems that refitting Enterprise could
not possibly approach the cost of building a scratch shuttle; even
if only the basic framework/structure proved all that could be used,
that would seem to be worth looking into.

David Whitney]
University of Oklahoma
Engineering Computer Network
uok!dwhitney

spencer@oberon.UUCP (Randy Spencer) (02/04/86)

> >don't know how far the Enterprise is from being an operational orbiter,
> >instead of a boiler plate shuttle replica.  Anybody have any ideas?
>
>       I have it from a reliable source(someone actually involved in
> shuttle construction/maintenence) that refitting the Enterprise would
> cost as much or more than building a complete new shuttle. So this is
> highly unlikely.

I don't really know the facts of any re-fit, however when I was home at
christmas I saw the Enterprise.  It is sitting at Dullas airport and is
there (supposedly) as part of the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum.
It is not really on exhibit, but it is *in* the museum, how can they
take it back and retrofit it?

Randal Spencer      Student DEC Consulting - University of Southern California
UUCP: ...sdcrdcf!oberon!spencer                         Office: (213) 743-5363
Arpa: Spencer@USC-ECL  or  Spencer@USC-Oberon          Bitnet: Spencer@USCVAXQ
Home: 937 N. Beverly Glen Bl. Bel Air California 90077          (213) 470-0428

thoth@tellab3.UUCP (Marcus Hall) (02/06/86)

>> >  (3) NASA will have Rockwell refit the Enterprise to make it fully
>> > operational.  Nobody has mentioned this one.  Is it even possible?  I
>> > don't know how far the Enterprise is from being an operational orbiter,
>> > instead of a boiler plate shuttle replica.  Anybody have any ideas?
>>
>> It is not possible. Enterprise, being first, was more a mockup than a real
>> orbiter and is significantly heavier than the production schedules. They
>> would have to significantly reduce payloads to orbit it, and I'm not really
>> sure if it was ever certified as spaceworthy.
>>

>The US Space Shuttle Enterprise has already been donated by NASA to the
>Smithsonian Institute. I've heard the cost of retrofitting the Enterprise
>would exceed the cost of a brand-new orbiter.

Wouldn't the Smithsonian Institute give it back?  I remember that the Saturn V
lying on its side at the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville was
considered "on active standby" when I visited there many years ago.

At any rate, if Rockwell would have to re-tool from B1 production to make
another shuttle, that could drive the cost of a new shuttle higher than the
cost of making Enterprise operational.  I believe that the Discovery is
actually older than Enterprise (I believe that it is frame 098 and Enterprise
is 099 [Not in octal, by the way :-)]).  If Discovery could be built from
an older airframe, perhaps Enterprise could be updated.  Since Columbia just
recently returned from her retrofit, there may be enough facilities remaining
at Rockwell to retrofit Enterprise although not nearly enough to start from
scratch again.

This is just total speculation on my part.  I welcome corrections from those
in the know.  Perhaps it's just wishful thinking?

marcus hall
..!ihnp4!tellab1!tellab2!thoth