[bit.listserv.mailbook] ACK Problem

SCHAFER@RICEVM1.RICE.EDU (Richard A. Schafer) (01/12/90)

On Thu, 11 Jan 90 16:14:56 EST Ben Chi said:
>Following is an as-yet unread item in my UNREAD NOTEBOOK:
>Date:     Thursday, 01/11/90 16:11:08 EST
>From:     "Ben Chi" <BEC@ALBNYVM1.BITNET>
>Subject:  Test.
>To:       "B.E.C." <bec@uacsc2.albany.edu>
>
>A test.
>When I read this item, the acknowledgement goes to <BEC@ALBNYVM1.BITNET
>(no closing ">"), which causes MAILER to burp.  Any ideas about what's
>wrong?
>
>The original mail was NOT generated by MAIL, but rather punched directly
>to MAILER, which had no problem delivering it.  No BSMTP envelope, however.
>The same thing happens if the recipient address is BITNET rather than IP.
I stared at this for a while, then finally realized what the problem is:
you're not generating that X-Acknowledge-To header from Mail, but some
other process!  Mail does *not* put *anything* on the line except the
address, i.e., there's no name phrase.  Fix whatever code you have
generating the X-Acknowledge-To to only put <userid@node>, and the
problem will be fixed.

Richard