[bit.listserv.mailbook] Two more items for the wish list

MAINT@DERRZE1.BITNET (Rainer M Woitok) (01/16/90)

While I'm continuing to utilize the new features of MAIL/MAILBOOK 89-02-
0A, I found two other things I'd like to see:

1. When you display the columns SUBJECT,  DATE and FROM in this order in
   the  menu,  there's   no  blank  between  the  date   and  the  From-
   information. This looks a bit ugly.  In fact, in the standard display
   (FROM, TO,  DATE and SUBJECT), there  isn't a blank between  date and
   subject either, but  since the subject starts with either  a blank or
   an asterisk, there is sort of a separation between these two.

2. When you sort  according to subjects, the resulting  sequence will be
   eg "*A",  " A",  "*B", " B"  etc., which is  quite ok.  Now consider,
   subject "A"  came up twice, ie  your notebook contains messages  " A"
   and "*A" dating  from yesterday and today  respectively, and messages
   " A" and "*A" dating a month  back. Then sorting for subject and date
   would yield  "*A", "*A", " A",  " A" and not  "*A", " A", "*A",  " A"
   which would be rather more useful.

Could this easily be changed?

Sincerely
 Rainer

| Rainer M. Woitok                 | Phone  : (+49 9131) 85-7811,-7031 |
| Regionales Rechenzentrum         | Fax    : (+49 9131) 30 29 41      |
| Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet | Telex  : d 629 755 tf erl         |
| D-8520 Erlangen                  | e-Mail : MAINT@DERRZE1.BITNET     |
| West Germany                     |                                   |
'----------------------------------------------------------------------'

NJG@CORNELLA.BITNET (Nick Gimbrone) (01/17/90)

On Tue, 16 Jan 90 14:27:09 CET Rainer M Woitok said:
>2. When you sort  according to subjects, the resulting  sequence will be
>   eg "*A",  " A",  "*B", " B"  etc., which is  quite ok.  Now consider,
I'm not sure I agree about this being ok. Since "*A" and " A" have the
same subject, but one is/should be written after the other I'd rather
that the "*" or " " column not be included in the sort and that the
GMT date/time field be used as a secondary sort field (such that " A"
always preceeded "*A").
I've not verified how the code is written/commented to work :-).

SCHAFER@RICEVM1.RICE.EDU (Richard A. Schafer) (01/17/90)

On Tue, 16 Jan 90 17:55:56 EST Nick Gimbrone said:
>On Tue, 16 Jan 90 14:27:09 CET Rainer M Woitok said:
>>2. When you sort  according to subjects, the resulting  sequence will be
>>   eg "*A",  " A",  "*B", " B"  etc., which is  quite ok.  Now consider,
>I'm not sure I agree about this being ok. Since "*A" and " A" have the
>same subject, but one is/should be written after the other I'd rather
>that the "*" or " " column not be included in the sort and that the
>GMT date/time field be used as a secondary sort field (such that " A"
>always preceeded "*A").
>I've not verified how the code is written/commented to work :-).
Not only do I believe that this is *not* OK, as far as I can determine
that's not the way the code actually works.  As far as I can verify,
" A" is always sorted before "*A" for precisely the reason that you
want replies to follow the original.  If it doesn't work that way
(and so far as I can tell it does), it's a bug.

Richard

MICHAEL@UTORONTO.BITNET (Michael Wagner) (01/18/90)

>I'm not sure I agree about this being ok. Since "*A" and " A" have the
>same subject, but one is/should be written after the other I'd rather
>that the "*" or " " column not be included in the sort and that the
>GMT date/time field be used as a secondary sort field (such that " A"
>always preceeded "*A").

Since this is wishlist time, I'd rather have the messages sorted into
"thread" order, i.e. use the string of "in-reply-to" message-ids
where available, and only use the GMD time/date logic when
in-reply-to is not available or not tracable.  This would also
alert you to messages that were "orphans"

Michael

MICHAEL@UTORONTO.BITNET (Michael Wagner) (01/18/90)

>while I  would prefer  after sorting  according to  subject and  date in
>ascending order to have them in the sequence shown first.

I think, with all due respects, that we cannot force the subject and
date fields into a duty to which they were not intended, without a lot
of 'stand on your head' code. Lets step back and find out what we
really are trying to do.

I would guess that you want to be able to read the messages in the
order that corresponds to which messages are replies to which. The
best way of doing this is to use the 'in-reply-to' fields, where
available, and to use time/date/subject/timezone/cokebottle heuristics
only when better information isn't available.

There are, of course, User Agents that don't produce standard
In-Reply-To fields, so this won't always work, but part of the reason
for the lack of standardization is that no one has cared up to this
point.  If some software actually used the field for something, there
would be impetus for people to clean up their act.

The problems with using time and subject are: times aren't set reliably
in many environments, and subject names get reused.  These are, in
my opinion, substantial problems that will not be solved by us.

>I hope, this time at least someone  is recognizing my point, even if she
>or he doesn't agree.

Did I understand you correctly?   Michael

MAINT@DERRZE1.BITNET (Rainer M Woitok) (01/18/90)

On Tue, 16 Jan 90 17:43:34 CST Richard A. Schafer said:
>On Tue, 16 Jan 90 17:55:56 EST Nick Gimbrone said:
>>On Tue, 16 Jan 90 14:27:09 CET Rainer M Woitok said:
>>>2. When you sort  according to subjects, the resulting  sequence will be
>>>   eg "*A",  " A",  "*B", " B"  etc., which is  quite ok.
>>I'm not sure I agree about this being ok.
>Not only do I believe that this is *not* OK, as far as I can determine
>that's not the way the code actually works.  As far as I can verify,
>" A" is always sorted before "*A" for precisely the reason that you
>want replies to follow the original.  If it doesn't work that way
>(and so far as I can tell it does), it's a bug.

Sorry, I  think, I just  didn't get my  point accross (I  didn't mention
whether I  was using SORTUP or  SORTDOWN). But my point  was not whether
or not  subject " A"  should precede "*A",  but the following:  Assume a
notebook containing the four items

    subject " A", date 88-01-01
    subject "*A", date 88-01-02
    subject " A", date 89-01-01
    subject "*A", date 89-01-02

Then SORTUP SUBJECT DATE (as well  as SORTUP SUBJECT alone) will produce
the sequence

    subject " A", date 88-01-01
    subject " A", date 89-01-01
    subject "*A", date 88-01-02
    subject "*A", date 89-01-02

On Wed, 17 Jan 90 12:08:22 EST Michael Wagner said:
>I would guess that you want to be able to read the messages in the
>order that corresponds to which messages are replies to which. The
>best way of doing this is to use the 'in-reply-to' fields, where
>available, and to use time/date/subject/timezone/cokebottle heuristics
>only when better information isn't available.

This idea  is clearly supperior to  what I suggested, though,  I fear, a
lot more difficult to implement.  The solution of disregarding the first
character ("*" or " ") of  the subject field whenever an additional sort
field was specified would be a  quick (& dirty), though not perfect one.
Besides you had  to do that anyway, when no  'In-Reply-To:' header field
was available.

>Did I understand you correctly?   Michael

Yes, I think you did.

NADWL@HDEDH1.BITNET (Scott Ophof) (01/18/90)

On Wed, 17 Jan 90 11:21:41 EST Michael Wagner said:
>>I'm not sure I agree about this being ok. Since "*A" and " A" have the
>Since this is wishlist time, I'd rather have the messages sorted into
>"thread" order, i.e. use the string of "in-reply-to" message-ids
>where available, and only use the GMD time/date logic when
>in-reply-to is not available or not tracable.  This would also
>alert you to messages that were "orphans"

I second this wish/motion, and have a feeling that *effectively*, Rainer
Woitok means the same thing.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, Rainer.

Regards.
Scott/

NADWL@HDEDH1.BITNET (Scott Ophof) (01/19/90)

On Wed, 17 Jan 90 12:08:22 EST Michael Wagner said:
>>while I  would prefer  after sorting  according to  subject and  date in
>>ascending order to have them in the sequence shown first.
>I would guess that you want to be able to read the messages in the
>order that corresponds to which messages are replies to which. The

Would something like:
do this?

Regards.
Scott/

MICHAEL@UTORONTO.BITNET (Michael Wagner) (02/03/90)

>Re using the chain of Message-Ids to sequence messages:
>
>I'm at a loss to see how this could possibly be implemented in the context of
>a discussion list such as this.  Postings to a discussion list do not occur in
>a linear sequence.  There is not one single series of message-reply-reply...;
>rather, the structure is a tree form, with multiple replies possible to any
>given message.  How would you sequence two messages with the same message-id
>in the In-Reply-To: header line?  At least you would want a secondary value on
>which to sort - the date, perhaps?

Of course it's a tree.  Trees have an order.  It's just not a simple order,
and it isn't clear that you can just pass it off to the SORT command.  But it's
a very useful order.  The usual order for this sort of thing is a depth-first
tree walk, with some other key (fancy time-zone compensated date, in this case)
resolving the order of the siblings.  But, to tell you the truth, I don't
want to see them on the front screen in this order, so I don't think the
linear representation is much of an issue.  I would rather see them
clumped on the front screen as

MAILBOOK    4 items    HELP! My help contains no help
MAILBOOK   18 items    More ideas for the wish list
MAILBOOK 2001 items    More congratulations for Richard on a job well done

This allows me to find my personal mail in amongst the discussion group
mail, and allows me to skip the 2001 thank yous to Richard with a single
keystroke (I echo the thank you sentiment, mind you.  I'm just tired of
reading it over and over again).

More to the point, when I am looking at a piece of mail, I want 3 PFKeys:
PARENT, SIBLING, and CHILD.  These should use the message-id information
when it is available, and only resort to date/time/timezone/cokebottle
heuristics when more reliable means aren't available.

PARENT and CHILD are a lot like PREVIOUS and NEXT, once you have figured
out how to sort your mail correctly (which I never have).  SIBLING doesn't
seem to really exist in MAIL/BOOK.

For those who did not study computer science in English or are not
familiar with this terminology of trees, here is a diagram:

         Original Note                      If you are looking at Reply A,
   +---------+----------+------------+      key gets you R B, R C, & R D, and
   |         |          |            |      the CHILD key gets you R R A.
Reply A    R B        R C           R D

 R R A                                      By the way, I think these names
                                     for the keys would not be good end-user
                                     names for the keys.
>- Lawrence

Michael

NADWL@HDEDH1.BITNET (Scott Ophof) (02/06/90)

On Fri, 2 Feb 90 11:15:59 EST Michael Wagner said:
>>Re using the chain of Message-Ids to sequence messages:
>MAILBOOK    4 items    HELP! My help contains no help
>MAILBOOK   18 items    More ideas for the wish list
>MAILBOOK 2001 items    More congratulations for Richard on a job well done

I second the motion for this type of display (as an option, of course).

>More to the point, when I am looking at a piece of mail, I want 3 PFKeys:
>PARENT, SIBLING, and CHILD.  These should use the message-id information
>when it is available, and only resort to date/time/timezone/cokebottle
>heuristics when more reliable means aren't available.

Another second here.  Especially the SIBLING idea (I'm running out of PF keys,
by the way...).  PF keys sensitive to the cursor-position?

Generally, I think it's time to evaluate what's really MAIL/MAILBOOK stuff,
and what is nice & handy stuff (but not really necessary), and putting all
those extra's in a separate macro; might make MAILB00K XEDIT easier to
manage, and maybe give users a better place to put their own ideas?
I know about MAILUSER XEDIT, but I don't feel that to be the right place.

Regards.
Scott/