[bit.listserv.mailbook] list of names with mail

VALDIS@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU (Valdis Kletnieks) (02/07/90)

I got this query from one of our consultants today.  Does anybody have
any suggestions?  I suspect with the 89.02.0B version, it should be
easier to do due to the BSMTP processing...

                                   Valdis Kletnieks

Do you know if there is any way of suppressing the list of names printed
when you MAIL to a list of names?  e.g.

To:  Systems programming

instead of

To:  VALDIS,BECK,BABER,MBOX, etc.

SCHAFER@RICEVM1.RICE.EDU (Richard A. Schafer) (02/07/90)

Yes, I believe it would be possible to implement this, using the
RFC822 "list" syntax.  The question would be whether you'd really
want this, since it would impossible to then reply to all of the
recipients of the message.

Richard

NJG@CORNELLA.BITNET (Nick Gimbrone) (02/07/90)

On Tue, 6 Feb 90 15:26:39 EST Valdis Kletnieks said:
>Do you know if there is any way of suppressing the list of names printed
>when you MAIL to a list of names?  e.g.
>To:  Systems programming
>instead of
>To:  VALDIS,BECK,BABER,MBOX, etc.
You could setup a mailing list in your MAILER/LISTSERV...
You could also use my 'header display reduction' mod that allows you
to put different SELECT levels on each line of the header and
then use the SET SCOPE and SET DISPLAY subcommands to control their
display for READ (and PRINT if I recall right).

I have to agree with Richard, you don't want to use the BSMTP header
as a way to hide the list of userids from the recipients... that will
cause more problems than it will solve.

BEC@ALBNYVM1.BITNET (Ben Chi) (02/07/90)

On Tue, 6 Feb 90 15:26:39 EST Valdis Kletnieks said:
>I got this query from one of our consultants today.  Does anybody have
>any suggestions?  I suspect with the 89.02.0B version, it should be
>easier to do due to the BSMTP processing...
>                                   Valdis Kletnieks
>Do you know if there is any way of suppressing the list of names printed
>when you MAIL to a list of names?  e.g.
>To:  Systems programming
>instead of
>To:  VALDIS,BECK,BABER,MBOX, etc.

One way is the way you used to send this message -- create a LISTSERV
list.  We have a Systems list, User Services list, Operations list, etc.
Each of these lists, in turn, is a member of the Computing Services list.

MAINTCMS@PUCC.BITNET (John Wagner) (02/07/90)

On Tue, 6 Feb 90 23:52:24 EST Ben Chi said:
>On Tue, 6 Feb 90 15:26:39 EST Valdis Kletnieks said:
>>I got this query from one of our consultants today.  Does anybody have
>>any suggestions?  I suspect with the 89.02.0B version, it should be
>>easier to do due to the BSMTP processing...
>>                                   Valdis Kletnieks

The problem with using LISTSERV is that you cannot suppress the
addresses being placed in the header and you are limited to a maximum
id length of 8 characters.  It is possible to create distribution
lists using MAILER's DISTLIST exit that will not list any of the
recipients (just the list name) and have a list name longer than 8
characters (such as Systems-Programming and
Systems-programming-request).  This approach looks like the standard
internet list.