[net.space] Remotely Controlled Manipulators in Space

dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) (02/02/86)

The Challenger explosion has got me thinking about more about
teleoperated mechanical manipulators for space tasks.  These are robot
arms or similar devices controlled from Earth by humans.  Such devices
already exist on Earth as manipulators on submarines and for handling
radioactive substances.   The problem with using them in space is the
nonnegligible feedback delay imposed by the speed of light: about .25 to
.3 seconds for geosynchronous orbit and about ten times that for the moon.

There are lots of interesting questions raised by these machines.  How
inconvenient is the feedback delay?  What kind of force sensing is
needed to prevent the manipulator from crushing things?  What kind of
sensors should the manipulator have?  Cameras, surely, but how many
and what kinds?  How much image processing should be done, and how
a should the resulting information be presented to the operator?  Where
should the processing be done: in space or on the ground?

The remote manipulators would have many uses, and would probably be
built with interchangable effectors for various missions.  Suggested
missions include: satellite refueling and/or part replacement in
geosynchronous orbit, lunar mining and manufacturing, and
orbital manufacturing of habitats or solar power collectors.
Gerard K. O'Neill estimates that, using remotely controlled
manipulators, a "seed" manufacturing facility capable of
making 1800 tonnes of material per year could be put in place
with 107 tonnes on the moon and 89 tonnes in high orbit.  The facility
would be capable of reproducing itself (except for some "vitamins",
like integrated circuits and some volatiles) in 90 days.

Remotely controlled manipulators probably also make sense even if
humans are in orbit.  For example, it probably would be more efficient
(and safer) for the human to be close (< .05 light seconds) to the
manipulator (and inside a habitat) than for the human to be in a space
suit.

A study of the effect of feedback delays on manipulator performance
would seem to be an excellent research area for a robotics lab.  This
research would probably be the single most important near term
contribution a computer scientist/roboticist could make to the space
program.

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (02/05/86)

In article <8602020218.AA04732@s1-b.arpa> Paul Dietz writes:
> The problem with using [remote manipulators] in space is the
> nonnegligible feedback delay imposed by the speed of light . . .

Well, that's ONE of the myriad problems.  What about maintenance and
repair of the machines?  Or ordinary servicing, including refueling (if
any)?  Another minor problem [sarcasm] is the design and realization
of these machines.  Certainly we should be able to replace humans
with teleoperators in every dangerous "mundane" occupation (e.g. coal
miner, test pilot, saturation deep-sea diver, fire fighter, police
officer, cat bather, and inner-city school teacher to name just a few)
long before we'll be able to create teleoperators that function even in
low Earth orbit.  I guess it'll be a while before we even see such
things happening on the surface of the Earth, much less in space.

> . . . a "seed" manufacturing facility . . . could be put in place . . .
> The facility would be capable of reproducing itself . . .

What, you just drop it on the lunar surface and it installs itself?
That would be multiplying the complexity of the thing considerably.
And of course you build in a Junior Alchemy set so that it can transform
lunar soil into titanium.  Oh, not impossible maybe, but certainly
a couple centuries into the future.  And many quadrillions of dollars.

> . . . it probably would be more efficient (and safer) for the human
> to be close (< .05 light seconds) to the manipulator (and inside a
> habitat) than for the human to be in a space suit.

No argument there, but it does pose some technological challenges in
the areas of dexterity, adaptability, etc.

> This research would probably be the single most important near term
> contribution a computer scientist/roboticist could make to the space
> program.

You have a rather elongated definition of "near term."  How about a
computer scientist becoming an astronaut to understand better what
needs to be done with data management systems to better assist people
in space?  That's my goal.
--
	Roger Noe			ihnp4!riccb!rjnoe

> > . . . a "seed" manufacturing facility . . . could be put in place . . .
> > The facility would be capable of reproducing itself . . .
>
> What, you just drop it on the lunar surface and it installs itself?
> That would be multiplying the complexity of the thing considerably.
> And of course you build in a Junior Alchemy set so that it can transform
> lunar soil into titanium.  Oh, not impossible maybe, but certainly
> a couple centuries into the future.  And many quadrillions of dollars.

Actually, it's not very hard at all, or terribly expensive, *if* you send
along a handful of humans to do the hard parts.  This problem has been
studied.  It is not terribly difficult to do 90% or more of the work by
remote control or automation.  The remaining 10% or so is vastly harder
to handle that way, and the most economical approach is to use humans
to fill in the gap.  If the human end of the operation is a colony rather
than a base (key difference:  colonists don't expect to come back), it is
not particularly expensive.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology