[net.space] SRB Telemetry Clues

dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) (02/01/86)

The NY Times today (2/1/86) reports that telemetry indicates the right
(far) SRB experienced a 4% drop in thrust and a 30 lb/in^2 drop in pressure
starting 10 seconds before the explosion.   The main engines and SRB
nozzles were swivled at that time to try to compensate.  Also, telemetry
indicates the main engines stopped several seconds before the explosion,
apparently because the oxygen line running down the side of the ET was cut.

My guess of the course of the accident is this: (1) the right SRB
was faulty, (2) when the burn-though on the side of the SRB occured
(either because of cracked propellant or casing) a jet of hot gas hit
the ET near the oxygen line, (3) it took several seconds for the
insulation and metal to burn through, (4) when the oxygen line went
gas began escaping and perhaps the tank structure itself (aluminum)
burned in the hot oxygen gas, (5) just before the explosion the
flames may have set off the range-safety charges on the ET, allowing
the fuels to mix and explode.  This could explain the small explosion
that occured several frames before the big blast.

It looks like proper software could have saved the shuttle.  The proper
course would have been to jettison the SRB's as soon as one acted up.
Unfortunately, SRB's have varying thrust, so perhaps NASA didn't want
to jettison one for just a 4% variation.  Even so, the shuttle could
have tried to get away when all the main engines failed, although it's
not clear enough time remained for it to get clear.

Does anyone know if the shuttle was in a position to return to Kennedy,
or did it already have too much lateral velocity to glide back on its
own?  Also, how close is the oxygen line to the right SRB?  If it runs
down the right side of the ET this could be considered a serious design
error (similarly for the range safety charges).

joels@tekred.UUCP (Joel Swank) (02/05/86)

> It looks like proper software could have saved the shuttle.  The proper
> course would have been to jettison the SRB's as soon as one acted up.
> Unfortunately, SRB's have varying thrust, so perhaps NASA didn't want
> to jettison one for just a 4% variation.  Even so, the shuttle could
> have tried to get away when all the main engines failed, although it's
> not clear enough time remained for it to get clear.

   The SRBs cannot be jettisoned before burn is complete, and burn cannot
be stopped. One astronaut was quoted as saying: "If the SRBs fail, it's
just curtains."

ray@rochester.UUCP (02/07/86)

> Does anyone know if the shuttle was in a position to return to Kennedy,
> or did it already have too much lateral velocity to glide back on its
> own?  Also, how close is the oxygen line to the right SRB?  If it runs
> down the right side of the ET this could be considered a serious design
> error (similarly for the range safety charges).

  According to a NASA spokesman, there is virtually no chance of successfully
aborting the mission until the SRBs have used up their fuel and are jettisoned.

  NASA has no viable abort plans for the shuttle until the SRBs have been
normally jettisoned.  Until this point in the liftoff, the shuttle is too low
to return to Kennedy and would have to ditch in the Atlantic at a speed of
220 mph +.  At this speed, NASA believes the shuttle would break up on impact
and sink rapidly.  NASA also believes it is unlikely the shuttle would escape
serious damage from the exhausts of the SRBs as it jettisoned them while they
were still functioning at full power.

  I'm not sure of this, but several days ago I thought I read where NASA had
bits of debri from one of the SRBs that showed the exploding bolts had not
been activated indicating no attempt by the crew to jettison the SRBs.
Has anyone heard any more on this?  An earlier posting surmised the reason
the SRBs escaped the explosion intact was because they were jettisoned by
the crew moments before the explosion.

ray

jlg@lanl.UUCP (02/07/86)

In article <440@tekred.UUCP> joels@tekred.UUCP (Joel Swank) writes:
>   The SRBs cannot be jettisoned before burn is complete, and burn cannot
>be stopped. One astronaut was quoted as saying: "If the SRBs fail, it's
>just curtains."

All the reports I've heard say that the SRBs and the ET *CAN* be seperated
before the burn is complete.  It's just a matter of throwing a switch and
pushing a button (arm and fire I would guess).  The only problem is, no one
knows whether the Shuttle can survive the trip through the SRB exhaust
plumes or whether the ET may fold up under the change of stress.  Trying
to seperate early might cause the same kind of explosion as they were
trying to avoid.  These, at any rate are the facts according to the Shuttle
test pilot interviewed by CBS.

J. Giles
Los Alamos