[bit.listserv.ibmtcp-l] Request for help with IBM's 3172 and MVS

jimm@CSUFresno.EDU (Jim Michael) (12/15/90)

tony@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Anthony Olejnik) writes:

>I'm going thru a *GREAT* learning curve on this, so please pardon
>me if this request sounds like its coming from a novice (its only
>because I *AM* a novice at this).

>We have an MVS system which we are trying to bring up IBM's TCP/IP
>product using a 3172.  We think we have both the software on the
>host side configured correctly as well as the software on the 3172.

>However, we are getting the following error message:

>	IEE025I UNIT C00 HAS NO LOGICAL PATHS

>Looking thru the manuals for additional info on this indicates that
>the varried device online command has not been executed.  The operator
>action is supposed to make sure that the channel is enabled and the
>device set online. The 'UNIT C00' is the address of our 3172 in our
>configuration.  We think that the channel is enabled and the device
>is already set online.

>So, can anyone help us out on this?
>What is ment by 'no logical paths'?
>Is there a way we can verify that the channel is enabled?
>Is there a way we can verify that the device is online?

I would refer anyone having this sort of difficulty to the appropriate
System Commands manual for their version of MVS.  In my case (MVS/ESA) I
use IBM manual GC28-1826-2.

In particular review the sections on display unit, display M (system
configuration info) for CHP and dev. Vary command for unit and path and
config for the CHP.

I have responded in for detail to the original poster.  This is more
than RTFM because somtimes it's a case of WHICH FM! ;-).

Jim

--
Jim Michael - jim_michael@CSUFresno.EDU

My opinions are my own ... what else?