[bit.listserv.i-amiga] Starboard SCSI Module

NOP@GACVAX1.BITNET (Let there be...MORE light.) (01/11/90)

I ordered a SCSI Module for my Microbotics StarBoard 2 today. I'm going
to get a 65M Segate drive on Saturday, and I need to know which kind
of cabling to buy with it. Does the SCSI module use Mac-style 25 pin,
or standard 50 pin cabling?

Since you StarDrive people are listening, I'd like to ask for any
hints on how to set up the drive and maintain it. I'm not at all
afraid to mess with the MountList, but I don't want to rush madly
in all directions.

Thanks for your time,

Jay Carlson
nop@GACVAX1.bitnet

"That's different. It's not the same."

MARKV@UKANVAX.BITNET (MARK GOODERUM - UNIV. OF KANSAS ACS - MARKV@UKANVAX) (01/12/90)

You need the 25-50 pin cabling (the Starboard has a 'Mac SCSI' connector.)
For the Mountlist, leave the first two cylinders unused (0 and 1) for
the new driver (don't have it, just heard about it) which (I think)
supports the 'hardblocks' standard.

Second, 'physically' format the drive with a 1:1 interleave, and leave it up
to DOS to take care of the interleave.  (With the Interleave= entry in the
Mountlist.)  Depending on your system your want a 2:1 or 3:1 interleave.
2:1 performs better, but under worst case condidtions (or less than mostly
ideal even) 3:1 is better.  Right now my drives are 2:1, but I will probably
to to 3:1 the next time I reformat.  (If you have some kind of processor
accelerator like the CMI or something else you have enough extra horse power
to get away with 2:1.)

On interleave I've figured this out (at least the StarDrive.)  Using drive
timings, I've figured out that when you do 'low-level' format, and give an
interleave of other than 1 or 0 (1:1) the drive does the interleaveing
completly transparent to DOS.  So if you Interleave 2:1 on formatting, your
and Tell DOS Interleave=0 (or 1) you get 2:1 Interleave.  However, if you
tell DOS Interleave=2, you actually get 4:1 interleave becuase DOS does 2:1
on top of the drives 2:1.  This was determined expirmentally with careful
timing and some help from DiskPerf.

For other things, just follow the sample entries for the 2090 in the Enhancer
manual, just use StarDrive.device for the Device=.  FFS does work with
the StarDrive just fine.

Finally, its and extra command from Floppy, but DO SetPatch before ANYTHING
else.  I solved a lot of intermittant crashes by moving SetPatch back to the
beginning of my floppy Startup.

Good luck

Mark

DSR@CRNLNS.BITNET (01/12/90)

Comment: forwarded by CRNLNS/FMAIL v2.0
Comment: REPLY may not work.
Comment: Network-Source:  _LNS62::DSR (HEPnet/SPAN)
Comment: Originally-From: DSR          "Dan Riley"
Comment: Originally-To:   JNET%"i-amiga@ubvm"

[apologies for any bogus messages I sent...we just upgraded to VMS 5.3,
 and the new DECwindows clients don't seem to like the MIT X11R4 server
 on my DECstation, so weird things have been happening]

MARK GOODERUM - UNIV. OF KANSAS ACS - MARKV@UKANVAX writes:
>For the Mountlist, leave the first two cylinders unused (0 and 1) for
>the new driver (don't have it, just heard about it) which (I think)
>supports the 'hardblocks' standard.

The driver with Rigid Disk Blocks support doesn't exist yet--it's still
being worked on.  But do reserve a couple of cylinders.

>Second, 'physically' format the drive with a 1:1 interleave, and leave it up
>to DOS to take care of the interleave.  (With the Interleave= entry in the
>Mountlist.)  Depending on your system your want a 2:1 or 3:1 interleave.

This goes directly against my experience, my common sense, and Microbotics'
recommendations.  I've gotten the best performance using a DOS interleave
of 0 (in the MountList), and hard formatting the drive with an interleave of
2:1 or 3:1 (which is better depends on the drive you are using).  Using the
DOS interleave adds lots of transfer overhead--with a DOS interleave of 0,
FFS can request large contiguous reads whenever possible.  With a non-zero
DOS interleave, FFS has to send out a seperate request for every block,
which adds overhead and restricts any optimizations the driver may make for
large reads.  With OFS, this makes little difference, but with the FFS it
matters, since FFS is lots smarter.

>On interleave I've figured this out (at least the StarDrive.)

Mark's description is basically correct.  I just wanted to note that there
is an update to the StarDrive software which, among other improvements, does
correctly explain the difference between DOS and SCSI interleaves, and gives
some timings and recommendations.  It also explains how to set up a
MountList entry, and includes support for Adaptec adapters and fixes some
bugs in the driver.  I pulled my copy off the Microbotics support conference
on BIX, but the docs specifically disallow any redistribution.  Hopefully
new StarDrives should come with the update--if not, call Microbotics and
ask for it.

-Dan Riley (dsr@crnlns)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University