[bit.listserv.i-amiga] ASDG's VD0: RRDisk.

A0NJ@UNB.CA (Greg Patterson) (01/15/90)

Hi, just recently received ASDG's recoverable ram disk and I'm having
some problems getting it to work. I've installed the .device in DEVS:
and added the entry into the mountlist but every time I mount it and
then try to access it it says it "can't find VD0:".

My mountlist is as follows (setup for a 1 MEG Amiga in fastmem).

VD0: Device = asdg.vdisk.device
     Unit   = 1
     Flags  = 0
     Surfaces  = 1
     BlocksPerTrack = 16
     Priority = 5
     Reserved = 2
     Interleave = 0
     LowCyl = 0
     HighCyl = 75
     Buffers = 5
     BufMemType = 5
#

I'm running an A500 + A501 + ARP 1.3. Any suggestions? Thanks!

A0NJ@UNB.CA

TLIMONCE@DREW.BITNET (Tom Limoncelli @ Drew Univ.) (01/15/90)

In article <30324.25b0973e@drunivac.drew.edu>, Greg Patterson <A0NJ@UNB.CA> writ
   es:
> Hi, just recently received ASDG's recoverable ram disk and I'm having
> some problems getting it to work. I've installed the .device in DEVS:
> and added the entry into the mountlist but every time I mount it and
> then try to access it it says it "can't find VD0:".
>
> My mountlist is as follows (setup for a 1 MEG Amiga in fastmem).
>
> VD0: Device = asdg.vdisk.device
[mountlist deleted]

The MOUNT command is case sensitive.  That means that "asDg" is
different than "asdg".

If you have a STRINGS utility (or anything that lets you look for
ASCII text in an executable file) try to find how they capitalize
"vd0" and "asdg.vdisk.device" in the .device or .library and any
executables.  Make sure it is the same all over and also make sure
you type it the same in your mountlist.

If that doesn't work, re-post :-)

Good luck,
Tom
---
Tom Limoncelli       The computer industry should spend more time in front of
tlimonce@drew.edu (new)         their computers.  Remember when 'Look & Feel'
tlimonce@drew.Bitnet                      was what you tried to do on a date?
limonce@pilot.njin.net                                                    -Me

GBEANES@UALR.BITNET (Greg) (01/15/90)

>Hi, just recently received ASDG's recoverable ram disk and I'm having
>some problems getting it to work. I've installed the .device in DEVS:
>and added the entry into the mountlist but every time I mount it and
>then try to access it it says it "can't find VD0:".

[Mountlist stuff deleted]

>I'm running an A500 + A501 + ARP 1.3. Any suggestions? Thanks!
                              ^^^^^^^^
If I remember correctly, AmigaDOS chokes on the ARP Mount command.
Try using the Mount which comes on your Workbench 1.3 disk.

Good luck!

gbeanes@ualr.bitnet

barrett%crabcake@CRABCAKE.CS.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (01/16/90)

In article <30324.25b0973e@drunivac.drew.edu>, Greg Patterson <A0NJ@UNB.CA> writ
   es:
> Hi, just recently received ASDG's recoverable ram disk and I'm having
> some problems getting it to work. I've installed the .device in DEVS:
> and added the entry into the mountlist but every time I mount it and
> then try to access it it says it "can't find VD0:".

	Try using the AmigaDOS "Mount" command instead of the ARP 1.3
command.  There are incompatibilities between the ARP and AmigaDOS versions.
(I think you have to add something like "Mount=1" to your mountlist entry
if you use ARP on RAMdisks....)

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett     -      Systems Administrator, Computer Science Department |
| The Johns Hopkins University, 34th and Charles Sts., Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

DSR@CRNLNS.BITNET (Dan Riley) (01/17/90)

Greg Patterson <A0NJ@UNB.CA> writes:
>Hi, just recently received ASDG's recoverable ram disk and I'm having
>some problems getting it to work.
[...]
>I'm running an A500 + A501 + ARP 1.3. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Tom Limoncelli (tlimonce@drew) mentioned that mount is case sensitive,
which is true, but I think the case is right in your mountlist (I'm not
at home where I could check this).

Greg (gbeanes@ualr) said that the ARP mount command has some
incompatibilities with AmigaDOS.  This is also true, but I don't believe
any of those problems bite vd0:.  I mount vd0: with the arp mount command,
and it works fine.  Of course, your mileage might vary, so it's worth trying
the AmigaDOS mount instead.  If you are feeling conservative, you might want
to get rid of the ARP mount command entirely.

Here's possibility three:  what version of vd0: are you using?  According
to Perry Kivolowitz (the original author), the "new improved" version making
the rounds was produced by someone who disassembled Perry's original and then
tried to improve it.  The original was produced with an early version of the
Manx compiler, and was fairly inefficient in places, so this isn't quite as
stupid as it sounds (close, but not quite).  However, in the process, some
things were broken, and the new version does not work in some configurations
that the older version handled.  In particular, I seem to remember reading
that the new version does not like $C00000 memory (which I believe the A501
is).  So, if you are using the "new improved" version, you might want to get
the original (Fish disk 58) and give it a try.

-Dan Riley (dsr@crnlns)
-Wilson Laboratory, Cornell University