From: ertem@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Tuna Ertemalp)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Monthly FTP/Mailserver list
Date: 16 Jan 90 22:28:46 GMT
Sender: news@Neon.Stanford.EDU (USENET News System)

                    AMIGA SOFTWARE SOURCES (Jan 16, 1990)

The following is a list of mail-servers, BBS services, and anonymous Internet
FTP sites that I know, and which provide a large selection of Amiga software.

Please keep me informed about any new sites, mail-archives, IP-addresses, and
directories, as well as the ones which have been removed, changed, or
manipulated (enough to make this list "old").  I'd appreciate it. Since during
these days I'm very busy, I have little time to read newsgroups. Therefore,
please do *email* your suggestions/corrections to me. I may not see your
posting. Also, if you email me something, which does not show up in the next
version of the list, please don't get mad about it. My mind was probably doing
something else... Remind me again...

You will see a section below which is titled "CHANGES THIS MONTH". Lines in
that section may start with !, -, or +. They mean "changed", "removed", and
"added", respectively.

My plan is to extend the list of mail servers and UUCP ftp sites etc., in
order to enable people without access to Internet to have some sort of
software source.  If you operate such a server or site, please send me couple
of lines describing how people can connect to it, or send requests, what kind
of programs you have, whether it is also accessible via Internet anonymous
ftp, if yes what the IP-address is, what the directories are etc.  Include any
information you think would be appropriate.  I will add those instructions to
the end of this list, and won't be able to check their validity (is there
someone willing to make that test for me?).  Internet anonymous ftp sites will
be checked as before.  Still, I may miss some directories or removed sites
since I don't have infinite supply of time to spend on this list. So, think
twice before flaming me...

Another thing: Since many people were asking me where a specific file could be
found, because they thought that I also know the contents of the archives
since I know their names, I decided to be able to answer such questions
instead of saying, "Sorry, I don't know!". I set up a mechanism to extract the
contents of FTP-sites using 'ls -CFRla' every day.  So, I *may* be able to
answer your questions.  e.g.  if you ask the whereabouts of NIB, I'll do a
'fgrep -i nib *' over my files of directory listings, and tell you that they
seem to be existing in foo.bar.edu. Also, if you wish, I can email you those
directory listings (either one or all of them).  However, there is no
guarantee that they reflect the *latest* contents of that site. No, I don't
have this service for Mail servers.  *You* can always send a request to the
server for its index.  I shouldn't be contributing to the load.

Some of the Internet sites also provide BBS service. I marked them as such. To
connect to them as BBS, use 'telnet' instead of 'ftp'.

Tuna Ertemalp. Ertem@Polya.Stanford.Edu

================== CHANGES THIS MONTH (since Dec 9, 1989) ====================

- sauna.hut.fi

=============================== FTP/BBS SITES ================================

Name                IP-Address(es)  Files
a.cs.uiuc.edu       128.174.252.1   /pub/amiga/*
                    128.174.237.2
cavevax.ucsb.edu    128.111.41.100  /amiga/* (you can also login as 'bbs'
                                              to have bbs service)
cs.utah.edu         128.110.4.21    /pub/amiga-forth/*
cseg.uark.edu       130.184.64.202  /amiga/* (you can also login as 'bbs'
                                              to have bbs service)
etana.tut.fi        128.214.1.1     /amiga/*
f.ms.uky.edu        128.163.128.6   /alt.sources.amiga/*
                                    /comp.sources.amiga/*
                                    /pub/amiga/*
gtss.gatech.edu     128.61.4.1      /pub/*
ix1.cc.utexas.edu   128.83.1.21     /microlib/amiga/*
ix2.cc.utexas.edu   128.83.1.29     /microlib/amiga/*
j.cc.purdue.edu     128.210.9.2     /comp.binaries.amiga/*
                                    /comp.sources.amiga/*
louie.udel.edu      128.175.1.3     /pub/amiga/*
                                    /pub/ka9q/*
mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu 128.174.73.105 /amiga/*
tolsun.oulu.fi      128.214.5.6     /pub/amiga/*  (you can also login as 'box'
                                    /pub/amiga3/*  to have bbs service)
                                    /pub/amiga4/*
topaz.rutgers.edu   128.6.4.194     /pyr-public/text/mg2/sys/amiga/*
tukki.jyu.fi        128.214.7.5     /pub/amiga/*
                                    /pub/dnet-amiga.zoo
tut.cis.ohio-state.edu 128.146.8.60 /pub/amigo/*
ucbvax.berkeley.edu 128.32.133.1    /pub/amiga/*
                    128.32.130.12
                    128.32.149.36
                    128.32.137.3
ucsd.ucsd.edu       128.54.16.1     /hamradio/karn/*
                                    /midi/sofware/amiga/*
uihub.cs.uiuc.edu   128.174.252.27  /pub/amiga/*
uunet.uu.net        192.48.96.2     /amiga-sources/*
uxc.cso.uiuc.edu    128.174.5.50    /utils/cshar/*
uxe.cso.uiuc.edu    128.174.5.54    /amiga/*
wuarchive.wustl.edu 128.252.135.4   /systems/amiga/comp.binaries.amiga/*
                                    /systems/amiga/comp.sources.amiga/*
xanth.cs.odu.edu    128.82.8.1      /usenet/comp.binaries.amiga/*
                                    /usenet/comp.sources.amiga/*
                                    /amiga/*

============================= AMIGA MAIL SERVERS =============================

---------------------------------- SERVER 1 ----------------------------------

Correspondence to: greg@noel.CTS.COM

Requests to: amiga-archive@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Registered domain address)
             amiga-archive@ncr-sd.UUCP             (Psuedo-domain address)
             ...!ncr-sd!amiga-archive              (UUCP path)

Ncr-sd is not on the Internet; FTP access is not possible.  Anonymous UUCP is
not supported.

All lines of the incoming mail message are ignored except lines that begin
with either "path" or "send".  (For compatibility with other servers, "help"
and "index" are also recognized and are treated as equivalent to "send help"
and "send index".)

If a line saying "path route-from-us-to-you" is encountered, it will be used
for any subsequent mail.  If the path line is missing, the system will try to
determine the reply address; it's pretty good at guessing, but it's not
perfect.  Try it initially without the path line; if you don't get an answer
in a reasonable period, try again with one.  We run a full domain router, so
the route-from-me-to-you should be a domain address (or a UUCP psuedo-domain
address) if you have one.

Start with "send help" for information on how to get started.

The mail server is actually the beta test version of an archive server that I
hope to fill with Amiga sources and binaries.  If you are interested in
providing some feedback, try the requests "send help" and "send index" to see
how to use it.  I'd appreciate any help you can offer in getting this started.
There's only about 15MB of stuff so far, so I need to make arrangements to get
access to more of the comp.{sources,binaries}.amiga archives; anybody have
this in a form that I can conveniently get?

| Mr. Tuna Ertemalp        | Manzanita Park 26X      | Small things together |
| Stanford University      | Stanford University     |   form the quality,   |
| Computer Science MS      | Stanford, CA 94305, USA | But quality is not a  |
| Ertem@Cs.Stanford.Edu    | (415) 328-8515          |     small thing!      |