[net.space] Thermonuclear Device

will@anasazi.UUCP (Will Fuller) (01/14/86)

<REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR FINGERS>

One means of creating the temperatures and pressures necessary for
nuclear fusion is atmospheric ablation.

In this scenario a ceramic sphere containing a mixture of hydrogen
isotopes would be made to enter the atmosphere with a large initial
velocity. As the ceramic ablates away the temperatures and pressures
in the core of the sphere climb (this is a similar mechanism as the
one currently practiced for sustained fusion reactions via high
power laser). Another (more tasteful) application might be to use
the ceramic pellets as a fuel for a *very fast* ramjet.

I would like to see anybody's SDI knock out half a mole of billiard balls
traveling at tens of kilometers per second.

--
William H. Fuller
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!will

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (01/18/86)

>I would like to see anybody's SDI knock out half a mole of billiard balls
>traveling at tens of kilometers per second.

Lets see, 1/2 mole ~= 1E23 = 4.6E7^3.  A billiard ball is about
3 inches in diameter.  This gives us a cube of billiard balls ~2000
miles on a side.  I don't think this is practical. :-)
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) (01/19/86)

The idea of using very high velocity projectiles to initiate fusion has
been considered.  It isn't too terribly feasible.  One would have to
ram projectiles together at > 100 km/sec; just hitting air would do
nothing.

will@anasazi.UUCP (Will Fuller) (01/20/86)

In article <8601182109.AA26118@s1-b.arpa> dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) writes:
>The idea of using very high velocity projectiles to initiate fusion has
>been considered.  It isn't too terribly feasible.  One would have to
>ram projectiles together at > 100 km/sec; just hitting air would do
>nothing.

Ramming objects together is quite another matter entirely. What was
origionally proposed was to use the heat generated by aerobraking
for ablation.  I have no idea what temperatures would be required
to obtain the desired combination of temperature and pressure inside
a ceramic sphere by the ablation process. Seems like some of you
laser fusion experts out there could hang some numbers on this one.
Further, I have no idea what sort of atmospheric impact velocities
would be required to achieve the above temperatures. Perhaps some of
the NASA types on the net could fill in some numbers.

The only "wow" number that I can think of off hand is that the Soviet
Vennera lander was subject to temperatures in excess of the surface
temperature of the sun (far cry from the interior) when it entered the
Venusian atmosphere.

Seems like ~6-7 years back some fellow writing in Mercury or Icarus or
maybe even the Ap. J., tried to show that a meteorite with trace
hydrogen isotopes might have caused the Siberian Tenchutka (spelling?)
meteoritic devestation. Unfortunately, the only journals I have available
any more are the UN*X Reveiw, etc., (gek!) or I would try to find the
article again.
--
William H. Fuller
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!will

> One means of creating the temperatures and pressures necessary for
> nuclear fusion is atmospheric ablation.

Alas, it won't work.  Yes, you can get heat and pressure that way, but
nowhere near *enough* of either.  The energy is coming from the kinetic
energy of the projectile, so the maximum heating can be calculated by
assuming that all the kinetic energy is instantly turned into heat and
none of the energy is lost to the atmosphere. You end up with temperatures
of tens of thousands of degrees, tops.  Not good enough, by orders of
magnitude.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

In article <497@anasazi.UUCP> will@anasazi.UUCP (Will Fuller) writes:
>The only "wow" number that I can think of off hand is that the Soviet
>Vennera lander was subject to temperatures in excess of the surface
>temperature of the sun (far cry from the interior) when it entered the
>Venusian atmosphere.

This is not really very impressive.  I believe a welding torch does the
same.  Anything which is heated enough to glow white is at about solar
surface temperature.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

spk328@uiucuxf.CSO.UIUC.EDU (01/31/86)

We could always just set up a base on the moon, and throw rocks.
(BIG rocks)...non-nuclear, and has about the same effect as a small
atomic bomb. Also very hard to stop.

Benjy Mouse
University of Illinois

julian@riacs.UUCP (02/08/86)

> We could always just set up a base on the moon, and throw rocks.
> (BIG rocks)...non-nuclear, and has about the same effect as a small
> atomic bomb. Also very hard to stop.
>
> Benjy Mouse
> University of Illinois

an idea (first, as far as i know) proposed in

"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
Robert A. Heinlein
1963?4? (somewhere around there, when I was still young)
--
"If Chaos himself sat umpire, what better could he do?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez  (ARPA: julian@riacs)
	415-694-6141        415-694-6363  (UUCP: decvax!decwrl!julian@riacs)
	RIACS - Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science