[bit.listserv.i-amiga] Want CD/TV info.

mrose@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Rose) (02/08/91)

Hello everyone!

	I haven't seen any mention of it in the Amiga newsgroups for
awhile, but I was wondering if anyone had any info on the CD/TV.  When
will it be available, how much?  What are the specs on it, does it have
a hard drive port?  How easy will it be to expand it into a complete
Amiga computer system (ie. Keyboard, mouse, hard drive, monitor, memory
expansion, other upgrades, etc...)?  Does it come with ECS?  I remember
hearing somewhere that CD's had to be placed in a tray to be played
in it, is that just for CD-ROMS or for audio CD's too?  I think
I remember hearing that it could play CD+Graphics disc's too, is that
correct?
	I've also heard that industry standard CD-I players are going
to be released later this year.  What is Commodore planning to do
to compete with the CD-I players?  Will the CD/TV be upgraded in the
future to provide full-motion playback of CD-I disc's?
	Sorry to ask so many questions, but I really want to get a
CD player soon and I've been wanting to get an Amiga for a long time.
The CD/TV seems like the perfect solution.  Thanks for your help!

				-Michael Rose

 ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^_^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
< Michael Rose	      |Quack! _/.\      | "It is unnatural in a large field >
< mrose@ic.sunysb.edu |Quack!  /\ -===-/| to have only one shaft of wheat   >
< mrose@ccvm.sunsb.edu|QUACK!    \____/ | and in the infinite Universe only >
< mrose@sbccvm.bitnet |           _||_  | one living world." - Metrodorus   >
 v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v

easu052@orion.oac.uci.edu (Thu Ra Tin) (02/09/91)

I would like to know what I have to do to become a developer for CDTV applications.  I have heard that CDTV uses its own interface.  Can I just write the whole thing on the Amiga then just ask C= to press the CDs.  Any info would be appreciated!!!

In article <27B3C0D5.1642@orion.oac.uci.edu> easu052@orion.oac.uci.edu (Thu Ra Tin) writes:
>I would like to know what I have to do to become a developer for CDTV
>applications.  I have heard that CDTV uses its own interface.  Can I just
>write the whole thing on the Amiga then just ask C= to press the CDs.  Any
>info would be appreciated!!!

[BTW, please use newlines in your postings...]

	CDTV is based around 1.3 ROMs (currently), plus flash eeprom.  You can
press almost unmodified applications, but you probably want to a) take
advantage of that 650Mb of space (for gfx or sound - it can play CD sound
from the disk on request), b) modify the UI to handle the lack of a
keyboard (it's not required), use the extra buttons on the remote, etc, c)
make sure that if you need any disk access, things are laid out "right", and
d) possibly make use of the memory cards for saving data.

	However, with all that said, I'm told it's fairly easy to port things
over (I don't work on it myself).

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)