[bit.listserv.i-amiga] Want CDTV info. CORRECTION!

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (02/12/91)

In article <91040.095300JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu>, I said:

>>I remember hearing somewhere that CD's had to be placed in a tray to be
>>played in it, is that just for CD-ROMS or for audio CD's too?
>
>Nope.  It has normal CD insertion just like any other CD player.

The information I posted above is INCORRECT. I just learned that CDTV
DOES require that every CD be placed in a special "caddy" before it
can be inserted into the unit.  These caddies cost around $6 apiece
at the local Radio Shack (so I am told.)

(Enter soapbox mode)

Why did C= do this??  If CD players can play CD's perfectly well
without caddies, why require them with CDTV?  Reqiring them will be
a nuisance for day-to-day use, and will add to the price of buying
new software for the unit.  If the caddy is included with a new CD,
it will add $5 to the price.  If not, you have to buy it separately
and incur the same expense.  Can someone at C= please explain why
caddies are needed?  I'll shut up if there is a good reason, but
so far I have been unable to think of one (EXCEPT that if you want
little kids to use the unit, a caddy will keep dirty fingers off
the CD surface...  but wouldn't a supervising adult be needed to
power the unit on/off and run the program anyway?)

Thanks for any info,

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu (02/13/91)

JKT <JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> Writes:

[stuff...deleted]

>DOES require that every CD be placed in a special "caddy" before it
>can be inserted into the unit.  These caddies cost around $6 apiece
>at the local Radio Shack (so I am told.)
>
>(Enter soapbox mode)

[more stuff...deleted]

>it will add $5 to the price.  If not, you have to buy it separately
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Well I don't think that you will need more than one caddy.  Just
  swap out one disk for another.  Just like 3" CD adapters, you'll only
  need one for all of your CD's.  As to why they did it, probably cost of
  adding a tray (could be wrong though)

>Thanks for any info,
>
>                                                            Kurt
>--
>|| Kurt Tappe  (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
>|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.      || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
>|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214      || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
>||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu        --------------------------------------||
>||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

                                                    Ajai

itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) (02/13/91)

In article <91043.120405AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu>, AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> JKT <JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> Writes:
>
> [stuff...deleted]
>
> >DOES require that every CD be placed in a special "caddy" before it
> >can be inserted into the unit.  These caddies cost around $6 apiece
> >at the local Radio Shack (so I am told.)
> >
> >(Enter soapbox mode)
>
> [more stuff...deleted]
>

> >it will add $5 to the price.  If not, you have to buy it separately
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     Well I don't think that you will need more than one caddy.  Just
>   swap out one disk for another.  Just like 3" CD adapters, you'll only
>   need one for all of your CD's.  As to why they did it, probably cost of
>   adding a tray (could be wrong though)

This doesn't necessarily mean anything, but every CD-ROM player I have ever
seen uses one of these trays.  I suppose the tracking is a bit more accurate,
which would be important when dealing with computer data.

Of course I could be completely off the mark with this one....

> >|| Kurt Tappe  (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
> >|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.      || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
> >|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214      || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
> >||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||
>
>                                                     Ajai
RichBrack
--
{ the itchman cometh   /-/         _          i don't want to be your angel }
{ itch@cbnews.att.com /-/        _|_|_          i want to be your witch!    }