[bit.listserv.christia] How "Christian" are we?

BWA6067@TAMAGEN (01/10/90)

Jim McIntosh writes:
Now, I don't think ******* are necessarily of Satan, but I'm not sure
how Christian they are either.

I'm not interested in prosecuting a witch hunt for mormonism or any other
group, so I substituted a wild card.  The point is, though, that no matter
about whom you're talking, they are either of Satan or they are of Christ.
What did Jesus say..."those who are not with me are against me," or words to
that effect?  Christianity is not bequeathed by degree.

                                qb

P.s.  Don't misconstrue this to be a license to judge others.  It is simply a
fact that one cannot serve both God and _______.  To attempt that is to commit
spiritual adultery.

dnw@RSCH.OCLC.ORG (Dan Wiebe) (01/11/90)

	Actually, it can be shown through simple boolean algebra that the two
statements (if not with, against; if not against, with) reduce to each other;
in other words, they're exactly equivalent.

Dan Wiebe

DEVOSCM@RUG.NL (Marco de Vos, Kapteyn Lab Groningen) (01/11/90)

>       Actually, it can be shown through simple boolean algebra that the two
>statements (if not with, against; if not against, with) reduce to each other;
>in other words, they're exactly equivalent.
>
>Dan Wiebe

Boolean algebra is valid for binary problems only. In the case of "whith"/
"against", WE do have the third option of "indifferent", or "with, but in
another way". Those situations are exactly the ones people like to solve with
the Jesus' statements, they're also the kind of context in which the
statements are made. I'm afraid (well, may be glad is a more appropriate word)
that the differences just show we will never be able to make the final
judgement.
Of course one could point out that finally, there is only "with"/"against",
(or "good"/"bad", or whatever), so God could most probabely treat it as a
binary problem. That's why I capitalised WE. Because we still cannot.

Marco.