[bit.listserv.christia] Lawyers have a tough road, don't they?

BWA6067@TAMAGEN (01/12/90)

John Cromartie writes:

>      Why does Paul go to such great lengths to convince the Corinthians NOT to
> go to court with one another?  As a Christian, do I not have the obligation to
> AVOID being a willing participant in something that is expressly forbidden?
> Do I not sanction the act by saying, "I'll help you do it?"  I'm not sure,
> that's why I'm asking you.

    I don't know, either.  A lawyer may feel an obligation to honor any
well-meaning request, just like a doctor is obligated to aid anyone in
need.

Distinction:  a doctor rendering medical assistance to an injured person is
not the same as, essentially, conspiring to commit something that was
expressly forbidden.

All I know is, Paul is addressing the two who seek the lawyer, not the
lawyer himself.  The passage may fit, but not like a glove.

Would you then go so far as to say that application of a principle must not
exceed the immediate context?  What constitutes conspiracy to commit sin?
Does such a concept even exist, Biblically?

    But this raises another, very PRACTICAL question.  To what extent do
lawyers, and other professionals, treat clients/customers/fellow workers
differently when the person is a Christian?  Do different standards
exist?  Different strategies?  Different procedures?  If so, how do you
know that a person is a Christian?  Do you ask them outright?  Do you
guess?

And, if providing apt and professional legal assistance means emotionally
shredding someone on the witness stand in order to discount his/her testimony,
does Jesus suspend the commandment to be compassionate to justify providing
that required assistance?

    Personally, I would hope that people are *not* treated differently.
I believe we are called to seek Christ in ALL people, to treat everyone
fairly, and to do the best job in all situations.  What do other people
think?
John Cromartie

                                queue ball