[bit.listserv.christia] JMP - Re: Down? A prayer request

JMP@VMS.BRIGHTON.AC.UK (pharmacy John Pickett) (01/12/90)

From:     Michael Kline <XVDHMAK@EARN.VCUVM1>
>Subject:  Down List?
>
>     I think some of the "Down" in Christia might just be the "After
> Christmas Blues". I think it happens that we all get somewhat disappointed.

>     I would like to think that I did well myself, but we went to Pa. to see
> the folks, and all. We went to PA around 2AM Sunday morning and got back
> about 8:30AM Friday morning. It was visit, visit, visit, and kids, kids,
> kids. As you all know from my stories, I love kids, but on 2-3 evenings we
> had about 11-12 kids and 4 adults visiting in one living room. I was ready
> to climb the walls!

>     Then we get back, some having 1-2 weeks away from work, away from
> studies, and suddenly it's back to the grindstone. Myself, with Jack my
> partner, we upgraded from VM/SP 5 to HPO 5. We also have installed Oracle(a
> database) Version 6. It was a lot different from 5 which I was used to do
> so Jack and I are taking a crash course in learning Version 6 since we are
> supposed to have a Test, and 2 production installs ready to go by February.
> To top that off we are having problems with VTAM connections.
>
>     While I've worked like this before, I had about 9 hours on Monday, 10
> hours on Tuesday and 11 hours Wednesday and today. Is there anyone else
> that is finding themselves in a similar situation? I'm tired, and I would
> think there are others out there. Isn't it surprising how quickly we get
> out of the "work" and "study" swing of things with such a little time off?

>     As others on the list have talked about the negative postings, pause,
> take a deep breath, realize you might not be totally up to par yet, still
> trying to get over the vacation and all, and be kind.

Thanks Michael. I too feel shattered. I've lots I want post to you all but
I'm exhausted even though I had a very quiet Christmas really although the
heat was on the first few days of January to conclude some marking for a
postgrad course. Trouble was I was exhausted for about a month before
the holiday having been ill several times. Then on Christmas Day I crashed
out with a second severe infection and spent several days in bed!

What ever am I telling you all this for?  No, not so you'd be sorry for me,
for we all have burdens to bear...  but we are exhorted,  not only to bear
our own burdens (Galatians 6:5) but one anothers too (Galatians 6:2).

Well, you can, please pray for me, that my strength will soon return. This
is the end of only the first week of the Spring Term and I'm already up to
my eye-balls in work and feeling shattered! I've had to go to extra meetings
on four evenings this week on top of my daily work, so I've little time left
for CHRISTIA. So I'm mostly just printing postings off at the moment, hoping
to come back to them as time permits. Trouble is, you're all very active and
I just can't keep up - so I really do need the Lord to give me that extra
'umph' that I'm lacking.

"...pray for each other..." (James 5:16).  I do pray for you.

Safe in Jesus' love,

John Pickett

PS  I was quite bewildered the other day, re HPO 5, Jack and all that...
      I just couldn't see what you were getting at. Thanks for the daylight!