[bit.listserv.christia] symbols and upside down crosses - LHA

LHARANGO@OWUCOMCN (Lauren Arango) (01/15/90)

Bill writes:

>        Question: Was not Peter a great man?  Would it not be an honorable
>thing for us to wear the symbol of his Crucifixion as well as Christs, or
>does the fact that he was Crucified upside down mean that he is currently
>rotting in hell?

This reminds me of the time that Dan Wiebe first came to church with me.
My church is St. Peter's, and the door handles on the front doors are
upside down crosses.  Dan took one look at those and with a horrified
look on his face, said to me, "What are you doing with...*satanic symbols*
...on the doors of your church?!"  So I explained that the upside down
crosses were symbols of St. Peter, who was crucified upside down...and
since our church is named after him, it makes sense.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that perhaps it's not the symbol
itself that's intrinsically bad, but the use people make of it and the
reason behind using it in the first place.

>        P.S. Keith-- yes, I *did* make a mistake earlier-- I somehow got
>it mixed up with the Chrysler symbol. :-)

Hee.... I think you got it wrong again, Bill.  The Chrysler symbol, I
believe, is like a five-pointed star, although it's a stick-figure star,
if you know what I mean.  The symbol you outlined was the Mercedes Benz
symbol.  Don't feel bad about not being familiar with Mercedes Benz...
I'll probably never own one, either. :-) :-)

                                God's peace,
                                Lauren