[bit.listserv.christia] Good Witches

BLOUGH@USMCP6 (DONALD BLOUGH) (01/12/90)

Witches, whether they use "white" magic or "black" magic, are doing
nothing more than sending demons to do their bidding.  That's the
only source of power for any witch.  That means they would have to be
in league with the demons and with Satan.  In that sense, there is
no such thing as a good witch.  However, we should not condemn them,
but we should pray for them and share Jesus with them.
                               In His service and love,
                               Gene Blough

Gene Blough <BLOUGH@USMCP6.BITNET>

MCMV9048@WOOSTER (Mark V. McGrew) (01/12/90)

Gene Blough writes:

>Witches, whether they use "white" magic or "black" magic, are doing
>nothing more than sending demons to do their bidding.  That's the
>only source of power for any witch.

heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in
your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many
miracles?'  Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you.  Away
from me, you evildoers!'"  -- Matthew 7:21-23

Witches of any kind have no love for Jesus, therefore do not do the
will of the Father.  The 'will of God' is summed up in, 'Love God &
love your neighbor...'  Part of loving God is bringing glory to Him.
If a 'power' does not bring glory to God, it is not of God.  The above
quote shows that, even though good may appear to result from
something, if it is done with no love, it does not have heavenly
approval.

Mark McGrew

JIM@AUVM (Jim McIntosh) (01/12/90)

In article <900111.11374190.056807@USM.CP6>, DONALD BLOUGH <BLOUGH@USMCP6> says:
>Witches, whether they use "white" magic or "black" magic, are doing
>nothing more than sending demons to do their bidding.  That's the
>only source of power for any witch.  That means they would have to be
>in league with the demons and with Satan.  In that sense, there is
>no such thing as a good witch.

I have often  marveled at the way  the Lord has chosen to  be revealed to
the world. The revealing has been so  gentle and subtle. Over the tens of
thousands of years that humankind has  existed, it has only been the last
two thousand that we have had the access to the most complete information
(though Jesus Christ).

What  of those  who lived  before God  started revealing  details of  the
Godhead?  Weren't cave  people  doing  the will  of  God  when when  they
attempted to understand  their reality by finding God in  wood spirts and
weather phenomenon? It was all that God had revealed up to that point.

And can people be blamed if  they still believe these simple (incomplete)
understandings of God?  Even when Jesus was here in  the flesh there were
many who were unconvinced by him and  refused to believe. Those of us who
are Christian know the completeness and wonderfulness of his message, but
there are many who find God in other ways.

It is  my understanding that  many "witches" are not  anti-Christian (who
exist simply  as a reaction  to Christianity and mock  Christian symbols)
but are instead remnants of earlier understandings of God. As such, it is
sad that they do not share  our more-complete understanding of God, but I
would hesitate before calling them "bad".

>                                However, we should not condemn them,
>but we should pray for them and share Jesus with them.

Yes! I agree  completely. It would be nice if  *everyone* could share our
joy!
-------
Jim McIntosh (JIM@AUVM)
The American University
Washington DC 20016 USA

MCMV9048@WOOSTER (Mark V. McGrew) (01/14/90)

>What  of those  who lived  before God  started revealing  details of  the
>Godhead?  Weren't cave  people  doing  the will  of  God  when when  they
>attempted to understand  their reality by finding God in  wood spirts and
>weather phenomenon? It was all that God had revealed up to that point.
>
>And can people be blamed if  they still believe these simple (incomplete)
>understandings of God?  Even when Jesus was here in  the flesh there were
>many who were unconvinced by him and  refused to believe. Those of us who
>are Christian know the completeness and wonderfulness of his message, but
>there are many who find God in other ways.
>
>It is  my understanding that  many "witches" are not  anti-Christian (who
>exist simply  as a reaction  to Christianity and mock  Christian symbols)
>but are instead remnants of earlier understandings of God. As such, it is
>sad that they do not share  our more-complete understanding of God, but I
>would hesitate before calling them "bad".

Before Abraham, God spoke directly, in a mystical way possibly.  To
the Jews, God spoke through the Law and the Prophets.  For us, God
speaks through Jesus Christ.  Each is superior to the one before, and
anyone who rejects the superior is making a grave (consider the term)
mistake.  Read Hebrews.  It explains it really well.

God bless,                      "Jesus Christ alone knew answers to
Mark McGrew                      all questions and knew how to feed
                                 20,000 Jews with five loaves of
                                 bread.  We don't possess that
                                 skill." --Official atheist
                                           Mikhail Gorbachov

JIM@AUVM (Jim McIntosh) (01/16/90)

In article <CHRISTIA%90011321380338@FINHUTC>, "Mark V. McGrew"
<MCMV9048@WOOSTER> says:
>Before Abraham, God spoke directly, in a mystical way possibly.  To
>the Jews, God spoke through the Law and the Prophets.  For us, God
>speaks through Jesus Christ.  Each is superior to the one before, and
>anyone who rejects the superior is making a grave (consider the term)
>mistake.  Read Hebrews.  It explains it really well.

Oh, I agree, Jesus is the way, but I have noticed that each stage in this
religious progression  involves most people  accepting what is  passed to
them by their  parents and rejecting the new. Most  of the world rejected
Abraham  and  the prophets  and  kept  their  older religions.  The  Jews
rejected Jesus  and kept only Yahweh.  We reject Reverend Sun  Young Moon
(is that his name?) and keep Jesus. Each stage feels comfortable with its
level of contact with God, and hesitates to move on to the new one.

We  do the  same  (and rightly  so),  so I  think we  should  be able  to
understand those who fear to move to  our level of understanding. It is a
problem of fear (what if the new level is a misunderstanding of God?), of
comfort (I  feel comfortable with what  my parents did) and  of believing
scriptures  which  may  be  true  when written  but  now  have  different
interpretation (like Exodus 20:2-3, "I am  the LORD your God, who brought
you out  of Egypt, out of  the land of  slavery. You shall have  no other
gods before me.")
-------
Jim McIntosh (JIM@AUVM)
The American University