[bit.listserv.christia] Renewing your minds to His word!

EWS2304@TAMVENUS (01/14/90)

>     Well, surprise, surprise, so was I.  Jesus detested hypocrisy,
>     and blind commitment to rules.  He ate and socialized with
>     sinners of the worse kind, he did not say 'You must not be
>     a Christian!'.  I don't remember anything in the Bible that
>     Jesus says that bashing is OK.  Paul did alot of it, though.
>     Jesus did not.
>
>       Deb

I have to bring up a very important point that helped me once. Paul told
us to renew our minds. We have carnal minds and thus when we read some
of God's words written by Paul we say that Paul is a basher. He is not.
Paul allways spoke in love. At least in the NT writings. We just don't
understand because the world has shaped our minds for many years. But
now you can change all that. Read the entire bible daily. Renew your mind to
His word. See hoe God deals with sin and the sinner. How He veiws the
world. That is how we need to think and not by worldly standards.
I am trying to say this not as an attack but in love. I too had problems
with things in the bible untill a brother told me I had to renew my
mind. Noone on this list is running around screaming so and so is not a
christian. All we are trying to do is point out that some beleifs are
not christian. We can do that because God told us what was chritian and
what is not. It is not self-righteous or condemning. It is just speaking
the truth in love.
In His Love,
Eric.
P.S. Better an open rebuke then hidden love.

U1A9A@WVNVM (Bernice Tennant) (01/16/90)

Eric,

     That is so true!!  I used to think Paul was a cocky male chauvenist Pig (b
oy you can tell I was there in the sixties).  Then God touched me and after rea
ding Pauls teachings again I was so suprised at the love he taught.

     You really brought that back to me.

                                 Your friend in Christ, Bernice

JVANDOREN@SMITH (01/17/90)

>From: Bernice Tennant <U1A9A@WVNVM.BITNET>
>Subject: Renewing your minds to His word!

>Eric,
>    That is so true!!  I used to think Paul was a cocky male chauvenist Pig (b
>oy you can tell I was there in the sixties).  Then God touched me and after rea
>ding Pauls teachings again I was so suprised at the love he taught.
>
>     You really brought that back to me.
>
>                                Your friend in Christ, Bernice

Yes,  I felt the same way about Paul for awhile after I became a christian.
I couldn't understand what he was saying. I thought he was a condescending
jerk who thought women were dirt!  Needless to say I was frustrated, since
I believed the Bible to be God's word and wisdom to us and that women were
individuals in there own right who could worship God and serve Him however
He chose, etc, etc... (and still do).
The same type of thing could be said about the old testament.  There was
(and still is!) alot I couldn't understand.  But then God began to renew my
mind and my heart. Gradually those letters and the OT became a lot
clearer.  I could better see what God was saying to me, as well as the love
Paul had for people, including women.  This process is continuing and of
course there are still many passages I don't understand, but I trust God
that He will make them clear to me, either when I need to understand or
when I see Him!
So, if any of you are having trouble with Paul or other writings, pray!
Trust God that He knew what He was saying and knows what He wants to say
to you at any given time.  Continue to read His word and renew your mind.
Also look at commentaries on those passages.  Some things were cultural,
look at the context, etc.

Julie