[bit.listserv.christia] wanting persecution to come

COSMO@TRIUMFER (01/16/90)

>I want persecution to come. Even to the point of death.

I don't think that's very wise. Is it not true that when Jesus was teaching
His deciples how to pray, one of the items He told us we should ask of the
Father was to 'not put us to the test' (translated in the KJV as 'lead us
not into temptation')?

Peace
David

V111HFQ3@UBVMS (Robert Charles Weiss) (01/17/90)

Eric recently wrote, and David recently replied:

>>I want persecution to come. Even to the point of death.
>
>I don't think that's very wise. Is it not true that when Jesus was teaching
>His deciples how to pray, one of the items He told us we should ask of the
>Father was to 'not put us to the test' (translated in the KJV as 'lead us
>not into temptation')?

And I will attempt to amplify.

Persecution is the world's response to the committed Christian. When you are
living the life of a lukewarm, half-hearted believer, there is no rebuke from
the world for having a Christian witness, rather there is an acceptance from
the world for having a blase, lame, powerless walk. Why should there be
persecution? You are no danger to the enemy, and the world is not convicted
by your life.

But when you are committed to living a holy life, committed to be separate and
holy unto the Lord, you cause others to be uncomfortable. By being on fire
for God you alert the enemy...he who is the god of this world. By seeking
to be consumed by the fire of God, to open your life up completely to the
searching of the Holy Spirit...indeed to *INVITE* that searching...you
are setting your life apart from the cold and lukewarm. And the cold and
the lukewarm and the enemy do not like that. And that is where persecution
comes from.

In 2 Timothy 3:12, Paul writes, "And indeed, all who desire to live godly
in Christ Jesus will be persecuted" (nasb). That's a promise brother.
You can stand on that. I think of it as a barometer. The level of
persecution will go hand-in-hand with the level of godly living. If there
is no persecution in my life because of my walk with Jesus, I can safely
say that things have gotten too apathetic, too complacent.

After Paul was stoned and dragged out of Lystra, he and Barnabas went back
into that city. In Acts 14:22, we read how Paul was "strenghtening the
souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying,
`Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God'" (nasb).
They were encouraged by this! They knew that tribulations only came because of
their faith! The apostles knew this, they rejoiced after they had been
beaten because of their faith, because of their testimony. And they were
encouraged BECAUSE OF their persecution!!!

"So they went on their way from the presence of the Council, rejoicing that
they had been considered worthy to suffer shame for His name."
-Acts 5:41 (nasb)

shalom,
bob