[bit.listserv.christia] Quiet Times, Michael Card

JVANDOREN@SMITH (01/15/90)

>From: L J Larkin <ASPLJL@UOFT01.BITNET>
>Hi,
>Does anyone else read the One Year Bible?  I like this format, but sometimes
>find it frustrating.  I think it is important to read the various part of the
>Bible in their entirety (i.e. read the Gospel of John completely through) to
>get the full message, too often we can pull a line out of context that means
>something to us, but misses the point of the author.  Lately, I have started
>reading the REB and find reading entire sections much more rewarding than
>the One Year Bible.  Has anyone else noticed this?

>Also, are there any Michael Card fans out there?  I really love "the Life"
>and "Present Reality".  Has anyone heard his album of Lullabies?

>Linda

Hello all! Thanks for your welcomes....

I like Michael Card's music too.  The 'lullabies' album is great.  I like
his music because it is so simple, yet so full of truth.  He really makes
you think about what he is saying.  His first album on the Old Testament
was supposed to come out in December, but I haven't seen it yet.  I can't
wait to get it.

Are there any singers that you all especially like?

-----
As for quiet times (or the times you spend with God every day), what do you
use?  The One Year Bible sounds like a good idea.   I have used "The quiet
time companion" which has assigned Bible readings with pertinent questions
and applications centered around a specific topic (like love, the names of
Jesus, Romans, loneliness, leadership....).  It is really good.  I stopped
using it awhile ago, but I want to start again.

When do you have your quiet times?  There has been debate over whether they
should always be in the morning or not (with evening persons on the side of
it not mattering!). (There is some scriptural basis for having your prayer
time in the morning).  How have you learned to have disciplined and
consistent quiet times? (I have a ways to go in that area!).

That's all for now....   Julie

D2MG@SDSUMUS (Kurt Evans) (01/17/90)

Julie,

     I recommend *The Victory Bible Reading Plan* (Copyright 1984,
Omega Ministries) for use in quiet times.  James McKeever wrote this
plan to read the Bible in one year.  In it:

  1.  You read a chapter of Psalms or Proverbs each day.

  2.  You read the gospels twice.

  3.  You read the Old Testament in chronological sequence.

     Quiet times are most effective *for me* right after I roll out
of bed, but you should experiment to find what works best for you.

     As far as music goes, I'd like to plug the new album by DeGarmo
& Key called *The Pledge* (He died for me; I'll live for Him).  This
group has always had awesome lyrics, but the quality of their music
(in my opinion) formerly left something to be desired.  In this release,
however, there was a dramatic improvement, and D&K has joined Petra,
Stryper, and White Heart on my personal list of Christian artists who've
reached the production quality of secular music.  Here's a song for you
to guage them by, "Hand in Hand."

     When you look out of your window late at night,
     Whisper a prayer for the friends you made in life.
     Do you remember the ones who helped you make it through?
     Are you ready to lend a hand when others need you, too?

       Hand in hand, we walk together.
       Hand in hand, we'll serve the Lord forever,
       Hand in hand.

     Our only treasure that won't rust or fade
     Are friendships that stand on love given away.
     So love one another, and love the Lord with all your heart,
     'Cause that's the way that friendships last
                               and the place that we should start.

                                       In Jesus' love,
                                       Kurt

JVANDOREN@SMITH (01/17/90)

Kurt,
   Thanks for the advice.  I will have to take a look at that reading plan.
I haven't ever listened to Degarmo and Key.  I'll have to check them out
at the christian bookstore in town.

Oh, have any of you listened to Take 6??  They are really great.  It's all
achapella, toe-tapping music.  And the words are fantastic.  It is really
fun music.

I talked to the manager at the bookstore and he said that Michael Card's
album should be coming out soon.  Yeah!

                                           Julie