[net.space] Government Funding for Exploration

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (02/11/86)

In article <860210-065500-1155@Xerox> Gloger.es@XEROX.COM (Paul Gloger) writes:
>Does anybody remember the last time in history when a government
>operation successfully "explored a historic frontier?"  Yeah, me
>neither.

   I can't recall a case when anyone *except* a government "explored
a historic frontier."  From the discovery and exploration of the New
World, to the development of the American West, to trips to the North
and South Poles, to exploration of the sea floor, to the modern-day
exploration of space, every activity that I can think of has been
directly sponsored by a government.
   Perhaps Paul can clarify what he is talking about?

   -- David desJardins