[bit.listserv.christia] JMP - Jesus: the ONLY way of salvation

JMP@VMS.BRIGHTON.AC.UK (pharmacy John Pickett) (02/08/90)

>Date:     Thu, 8 Feb 90 05:34:00 EST
>From:     "The Golden Rule: He who has all the Gold makes the rules." <
>          PDBROYLES@EARN.OWUCOMCN>
>Subject:  Buddha Consciousness

>.  Jesus was human, it was his "Christ consciousness"
>that made Him special.  It was the Christlike attributes which made Him
>the Son of God.  Jesus was A perfect example of how Humans should be, but
>in my opinion not the only one.  Jesus adopted the messianic attitude that
>made him who he was.

Of course, The Son of God existed before He became flesh being given the
name of Jesus "because He will save His people from their sins." Matthew
1:21)  But it was in the flesh of Jesus that God suffered to redeem us.

"The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of
 His being, sustaining all things by His powerful Word." (Hebrews 1:3).
"God exalted Him to the highest place and gave Him the name that is above
 every name, that at the name of *JESUS* every knee should bow, in heaven
 and on earth, and every tongue confess that *JESUS* CHRIST IS LORD, to
 the glory of God the Father." (Philippians 2:9-11).

Jesus is *not* one of several: He is above all beings - He *IS* God.
He is the eternal Son of God. "...by Him all things were created: things
 in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers
 or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him. He
 is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. (Colossians
 1:16)

Jesus said "Before Abraham was born, I AM" (John 8:58).

>First, on the question of semantics, "the Father" is a very exclusive
>Christian term.

True: I am exclusively a Christian! God *is* my Father. And He is Jesus'
Father too.

>  Let's use salvation or Heaven instead.

Yes, you'd better do that because I perceive that you cannot cry "Abba Father"
by the Holy Spirit Who is given to all true Christians.

>Second, one cannot simply say that they have that "Christ consciousness"
>that will lead to salvation!!!  That's an inner quality.  Jesus was an
>example of this "Christ Consciousness" that will lead to salvation, but I
>have no doubt that one could say that Jesus was also the perfect example
>of the "Buddha Consciousness" or The Buddha is a perfect example of the
>"Christ Consciousness."

"It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth... that this man stands
 before you healed... Salvation is found in no-one else, for there is no
 other name under heaven by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:`10-12).

>Third, I have no doubt in my mind that a few people, like Gandhi, have had
>this "Christ/Krisna/Buddha COnsciousness" guiding them.  I also have no
>doubt that Gandhi is in Nirvana/Heaven/released from Samsara right now!

Jesus isn't 'merely' in Nirvana: He is "sat down at the right hand of the
 Majesty in heaven." (Hebrews 1:3; Acts 2:33). "He who descended is the very
 one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole
 universe." (Ephesians 4:10).

>                                        PDB

>PS.  If questioned, I would say that I AM a Christian, but I would also
>say that I am a Buddhist and to a minimal degree a Hindu.  We all worship
>the same God, but we perceive Him/It differently...  (My personal
>beliefs are a conglomeration of Christianity/Buddhism/and a little
>Hinduism.)

Sorry to disillusion you, but you can be either Christian or one or more
of the others but not both!

Yours in Jesus Christ exclusively,

John Pickett

PS  Sorry if I've come over rather strong. But I post this, praying that the
    Lord Jesus Christ will reveal Himself in mercy and give you His peace by
    the Holy Spirit. ("Since we have been justified *through faith*, we have
    peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ" - Romans 5:1)