[net.space] Buy an Orbiter?

mfidelma@bbncc5.UUCP (Miles Fidelman) (02/03/86)

So far, I've seen suggestions that:

	- contributions be made to buy a new orbiter
	- the California lottery fund a new orbiter

How about either:

	- a national lottery
	- a stock corporation - sell shares on the public exchanges, use
	  the money to buy a new orbiter - lease the orbiter to paying
	  customers on a flight-by-flight basis - the venture might not
	  fully recoup its investment, but I'll bet a lot of individuals
	  would like to own a piece of a shuttle, and some of the corporations
	  and governments that fly satellites would like to put up another
	  orbiter (this might also work as a limited partnership - pass back
	  the losses, etc.)

Miles Fidelman (mfidelman@bbncc5.ARPA)

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (02/04/86)

In article <1458@bbncc5.UUCP>, mfidelma@bbncc5.UUCP (Miles Fidelman) writes:

> How about either:
>
> 	- a national lottery
> 	- a stock corporation - sell shares on the public exchanges, use
> 	  the money to buy a new orbiter - lease the orbiter to paying
> 	  customers on a flight-by-flight basis - the venture might not
> 	  fully recoup its investment, but I'll bet a lot of individuals
> 	  would like to own a piece of a shuttle, and some of the corporations
> 	  and governments that fly satellites would like to put up another
> 	  orbiter (this might also work as a limited partnership - pass back
> 	  the losses, etc.)
>
> Miles Fidelman (mfidelman@bbncc5.ARPA)

Is there any reason (technical, legal, or otherwise) other than
financial why a private company could not go to Rockwell and order a
shuttle?  Does NASA own the 'copyright'?   I would be willing to buy
stock in a startup company doing space ventures.  Are there any?
--
E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.

wesb@teklds.UUCP (Wes Bruning) (02/07/86)

> In article <1458@bbncc5.UUCP>, mfidelma@bbncc5.UUCP (Miles Fidelman) writes:
> >
> > How about either:
> >
> > 	- a national lottery
> > 	- a stock corporation - sell shares on the public exchanges, use
> > 	  the money to buy a new orbiter - lease the orbiter to paying
> > 	  customers on a flight-by-flight basis - the venture might not
> > 	  fully recoup its investment, but I'll bet a lot of individuals
> > 	  would like to own a piece of a shuttle, and some of the corporations
> > 	  and governments that fly satellites would like to put up another
> > 	  orbiter (this might also work as a limited partnership - pass back
> > 	  the losses, etc.)
> >
> > Miles Fidelman (mfidelman@bbncc5.ARPA)
>
> Is there any reason (technical, legal, or otherwise) other than
> financial why a private company could not go to Rockwell and order a
> shuttle?  Does NASA own the 'copyright'?   I would be willing to buy
> stock in a startup company doing space ventures.  Are there any?
> --
> E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems
>
> This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.

During a security briefing 2 weeks ago, my dad learned that the plans for
the shuttle were available for $10,000.  This is particularly interesting in
light of the fact that the first customer to come up with the bucks was the
Soviet Union.  I think that the barn door has subsequently been locked - who
knows who might have the horse now!!  Kadaffy Enterprises?!?!

Cate3.EIS@XEROX.COM (02/11/86)

     Does anyone know of a way to buy stock in a corporation which is
trying to get into space?  I'm willing to invest half my net worth in
such a venture.
     There are a number of private companies trying to get into space.
But because of the government's wish to protect the public from
themselves, it is hard for the average person to invest in such
ventures.  Either you have to work for the company in which case it is
assumed you know what you are doing.  Or you are rich and can afford
losing your investment.
     About the closest I can think of right now is buying stock in
ComSat or Beoing.  Is there anything closer currently being traded, or
about to be offered?

     Henry III