[bit.listserv.christia] Christ's appearance

COSMO@TRIUMFER (02/08/90)

Greetings,

Since Jesus was a Jew, and the Jews evidently got the female side of their
blood from Egypt (the sons of Jacob went to Egypt to get away from the famine,
and there's no record of them taking women, thus they would have picked them
up there), and they stayed there for 600 years before Moses led them out,
probably intermarrying with the population all along the way, and since
the Egyptians did intermarry with the Nubians just like American whites
have with American blacks (I learned in my humand genetics course that
it's nearly impossible to find an American black with more than 60% african
blood these days, and that's after only about 200 years) then it wouldn't
be unreasonable to speculate that He had african blood in him, therefore He
probably would have looked something like the Safardic Jews of today.

It hardly matters though. In fact, it doesn't matter one infinitesimal
bit what His race/color was, as long as the genetically inert holanderic
gene (the only chromasome guaranteed to be passed from father to son) came
from David, and if it were to turn out He was black, I couldn't POSSIBLY
care less!

Although, the Bible does hint that He was kind of ordinary looking. When
the Pharisees decided to round Jesus up, they asked Judas to kiss Him on
the cheek so they could identify Him, which means they couldn't get any
distinguishing descriptions from people who'd seen Him.

Peace
David

COLELA@SNYPLAVA (l. anne cole) (02/09/90)

>bit what His race/color was, as long as the genetically inert holanderic
>gene (the only chromasome guaranteed to be passed from father to son) came

Let's not forget He got his genes from Mary, and not Joseph. :-)

D2MG@SDSUMUS (Kurt Evans) (02/09/90)

David (COSMO@TRIUMFER) writes of Jesus' genetic makeup:
>. . . as long as the genetically inert holanderic
>gene (the only chromasome guaranteed to be passed from father to son)
>came from David . . .

Matthew 1 says:
 18  Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows.  When His mother
Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was
found to be with child of the Holy Spirit.
 19  And Joseph her husband, being a righteous man, and not wanting
to disgrace her, desired to put her away secretly.
 20  But when he had considered this, behold, and angel of the Lord
appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not be
afraid to take Mary as your wife; for that which has been conceived
in her is of the Holy Spirit.
                                       For Jesus' glory,
                                       Kurt