[bit.listserv.christia] JMP - RE: Christ's appearance

JMP@VMS.BRIGHTON.AC.UK (pharmacy John Pickett) (02/08/90)

>Date:     Wed, 7 Feb 90 13:21:00 PST
>From:     COSMO@EARN.TRIUMFER
>Subject:  Christ's appearance

>Since Jesus was a Jew, and the Jews evidently got the female side of their
>blood from Egypt (the sons of Jacob went to Egypt to get away from the famine,
>and there's no record of them taking women, thus they would have picked them
>up there), and they stayed there for 600 years before Moses led them out,
>probably intermarrying with the population all along the way, and since
>the Egyptians did intermarry with the Nubians...

"Jacob left Beersheba, and Israel's sons took their father
 Jacob and their children and their wives in the carts that
 Pharoah had sent to transport him. They also took with them
 their livestock and the possessions they had acquired in
 Canaan, and Jacob and all his offspring went to Egypt. He
 took with him to Egypt his sons and grandsons and his
 daughters and granddaughters - all his offspring."
 (Genesis 46:5-7)

                  - already married before they went to Egypt!

"Hebrew women are not like Egytian women; they are vigorous
 and give birth before the midwives arrive."
 (Exodus 1:19)

                  -  intermarrying?... I don't think so!

In Jesus' love,

John Pickett

DEVOSCM@RUG.NL (Marco de Vos, Kapteyn Lab Groningen) (02/09/90)

>                  -  intermarrying?... I don't think so!

Genesis 41:45 gives at least one example, where pharao gives Joseph
"Asenath, the daughter of Potiphera, priest of On" to wife.
(though you can argue, for good reasons, this has been an exeption).

Marco.