[net.space] Spinoffs

dietz%USC-CSE@USC-ECL.ARPA (04/06/84)

Bill Westfield:  I agree completely that we must distinguish demand and
supply effects (demand effects being the economic activity generated by
NASA engineers spending their salaries, supply effects being new
technology).  That fact that ANY government spending has the same
demand effect is instructive.  Can you provide some numbers on supply
effects?

Henry Spencer, Steve Ludlum:  I still think NASA spending on specific
space projects is a poor way to foster general technological progress.
It certainly isn't necesary (Japan spends much less on space, for
example).  By "basic research" I really meant to include "basic
development": research intended to produce new materials, technologies,
etc., such as Japan's MITI sponsored research.  I'd still like some
hard figures on the value of NASA spinoffs, or even a list of any
significant spinoffs.  Ferrofluids are one, generating sales of around
$100 million a year.  Any others?

What would the economic return be if an amount of money equal to NASA's
budget were instead invested by venture capitalists in high tech
startup companies?  Quite a bit larger, I'd think, and it would be a
real gain, not demand effects.

kcarroll@utzoo.UUCP (Kieran A. Carroll) (04/19/84)

*

To BILLW@SRI-KL:  I attempted to send you a reply through the reply
facility of our news system, but it didn't seem to make it through
to you. So, here's the message:
   Please send me a copy of that NASA economic-benefits report, if you have
any of them left. My address is...
Kieran A. Carroll
University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies
4925 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M3H 5T6

Thank-you!

dietz%USC-CSE@USC-ECL.ARPA comments:

   ............................. I still think NASA spending on specific
   space projects is a poor way to foster general technological progress.
   It certainly isn't necesary (Japan spends much less on space, for
   example).  By "basic research" I really meant to include "basic
   development": research intended to produce new materials, technologies,
   etc., such as Japan's MITI sponsored research.  ...

My understanding is that Japan, until quite recently, has spent almost
nothing on basic research or basic development.  Most of their work has
been on production and reliability, with heavy reliance on basic R+D
done elsewhere.  It remains to be seen whether their recent initiatives
in home-grown basic research are going to work; these efforts cannot yet
be cited as evidence for anything.

Venture capital investment is very good at bringing technologies to
market, i.e. tidying up the rough edges and selling it.  It does very
little for making the blasted stuff work in the first place, because
basic R+D is too long-term to be attractive to venture capital.  With
the exception of a few farsighted large corporations, it is hard to find
*anybody* who is willing to sink a substantial amount of money into work
that is really long-term.  A typical manager's idea of "long-term planning"
is two years.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

al@ames-lm.UUCP (Al Globus) (04/20/84)

A (very) few spin-offs:

	o Computer chips

	o Solar cells

	o Communication satellites

	o Weather satellites

	o Remote sensing satellites

	o Spy satellites

	o Velcro

	o Pacemaker parts

	o The material for the doors on my wood stove

	o Special purpose protective gear for football players

	o Fire fighting equipment

Every year NASA puts out a book called 'SPINOFFS 19??' listing hundreds
of spinoffs.  The things listed above NASA either did or had a major
influence on.

dls@hocse.UUCP (04/20/84)

I believe that you are making some incorrect points about
the nature of research in Japan. MITI does NOT sponsor
pure research or straight development, but hews to an
intermediate zone of high payoff, high potential work
some where in the middle, such as the construction of
supercomputers. In fact, MITI programs usually have built
on basic research done in Britain and the US.

I agree that NASA should not be justified via spinoffs.
NASA's goal should be the exploration and development of
space, not the production of frying pans. Unfortunately,
NASA's goals are politically determined, rather than
guided by a rational, step by step progess toward
the commercial use of space. The construction of a space
station is a welcome turn toward a more measured,
results oriented program as opposed to one with an
emphasis on "firsts" and "spectaculars."

We have an entire agency in this country for funding basic
reseach(NSF) with a budget of over one billion dollars.
What america needs is the technology base to permit
industry to exploit the possibilities present in
space exploration. NASA is a techonology oriented agency,
and is ideally suited to providing this base.

Giving money to many small, high-tech firms will result
in much duplication of effort and dilution of effect.
The govenment is ill-suited to the task of deciding which
firms to fund in any case.

julian@osu-dbs.UUCP (Julian Gomez) (04/21/84)

> The obvious manufacturing-productivity things happened:  by getting a
> product to market, they subsequently improved the process yield, price,
> and efficiency far beyond the American originator's abilities.  There
> are even rumors of photovoltaic roofing tile.

A lot of things are obvious once someone else figures them out.

ed@unisoft.UUCP (04/22/84)

It may be true that Japan hasn't spent much until recently on basic R&D.
I think it's still true that they aren't spending on research.  A
professor I know, who is involved in VLSI including chip-disign systems
and methodologies, recently (about 2 years ago, actually) visited with
some Japanese companies.  One of the things he reported was a comment
made by one of the Japanese folks.  When asked how it was that the
Japanese seemed to have the best design and design-rule checking
software aroune, the Japanese replied that it wasn't anything new
or original.  They'd just implemented some of the published US
research!

What I think this really means is that the US companies are suffering from
a bad case of Not Invented Here.

--
Ed Gould
ucbvax!mtxinu!ed

jsq@ut-sally.UUCP (John Quarterman) (04/30/84)

The U.S. equivalent of Japan's MITI is Microelectronics and Computer Corp.,
or MCC, which is a consortium of a dozen or so firms (DEC, Intel, CDC, etc.).
Evidently those companies didn't think a large number of companies doing
duplicate reseach was cost-effective, either, or that the government was
the appropriate entity to choose who should be funded.

Of course both MITI and MCC are very goal-oriented and do little basic
research (if basic research is taken to be that which has no immediate
goal); we have NSF to fund that, and DARPA has in the past had a large
effect in certain fields such as computer graphics and networking (they
eventually wanted military networks, but were willing to take a
while).

I was under the impression that NASA's purpose is exploration of space
and development of access to space, for both scientific and industrial
uses (communication and weather satellites are early examples; IRAS is
currently being noticed; pharmaceutical synthesis may be next).  Spinoffs
are a convenient way to show that even if you don't agree with NASA's
purposes, the space program is beneficial, but spinoffs are not the
object:  the direct use of space is.
--
John Quarterman, CS Dept., University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712 USA
jsq@ut-sally.ARPA, jsq@ut-sally.UUCP, {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!jsq

redford@JEREMY.DEC (John Redford) (11/19/85)

  There's been a lot of talk recently about spinoffs of high-tech
government programs, particularly in regard to SDI. I'd like to get
some discussion going on this, because it's a commonly used argument
both for SDI and the space program in general.  Let me start with a
blanket statement:

The commercial value of spinoffs is negligible.

Before I get jumped on by people citing jet aircraft and nuclear
power plants, let me define the term spinoff a little more carefully.
A spinoff is a technological development arising from
research into something else.  The Boeing 707 was not a spinoff of
previous work because the previous work was directly aimed at
producing a passenger jet aircraft.  Likewise nuclear power: the
government invested tens of billions of dollars into reactor
research; it was not a casual side-effect of bomb work.

That said, let's look at two spinoffs commonly attributed to the
space program: integrated circuits and non-stick frying pans.  Frying
pans are often cited as a trivial spinoff, but they are not even that.
Teflon was actually developed by Du Pont in the Fifties, long
before Apollo needed tough plastics with high melting points.

Surely, though, ICs are something major?  Yes, and in the extremely
early days of the early sixties the space program did have an effect
on their development. They set the initial standards for temperature
and mechanical stress that the IC makers had to meet, and also
provided a small but steady market for them.  It wasn't long, though,
before the commercial market and the aerospace market diverged.  The
parts for military and space equipment needed to be
radiation-resistant and extremely reliable, and that excluded the more
advanced technologies.  NASA landed men on the Moon using only
resistor-transistor and diode-transistor logic, not even TTL.  Last I
heard they still relied on DTL for their electronics.  Several
generations have come and gone since DTL was introduced: regular TTL,
PMOS, and enhancement-only NMOS. NASA is continually stuck with using
obsolete parts because it takes so long to develop anything, and
because its needs are so different from those of the mainstream
markets.

This last point is the major obstacle to spinoffs.  A research
program might develop something unique and innovative, but it rarely
gains market acceptance because it is specialized to the needs of
that program.  The bottom line is that if you want your research to
be of commercial value, it must be directed to commercial needs.
Military and space work has commercial value largely by accident.
Spending 20 billion dollars to put someone on the moon is going to
put someone on the moon, and not necessarily do anything else.
Spending 200 billion dollars to build orbital death rays is going to
build orbital death rays, and not help us in the world-wide battle for
industrial high-tech dominance.

John Redford

P.S. Well OK, there is one important exception to the above, and that
is communication satellites.  These were launched on modified ICBM's,
and so would not have been possible without the missile program.  The
entire comsat industry is worth one or two billion a year.  That's
certainly not trivial, but it's not large either; beer and cosmetics
are of similar size.

Posted:	Tue 19-Nov-1985 14:56 Jerusalem Local Time (GMT+2)
To:	RHEA::DECWRL::"space@mc"

rivero@kovacs.UUCP (Michael Foster Rivero) (11/22/85)

In article <8511191259.AA24626@decwrl.DEC.COM> redford@JEREMY.DEC (John Redford) writes:

>The commercial value of spinoffs is negligible.
>
>P.S. Well OK, there is one important exception to the above, and that
>is communication satellites.  These were launched on modified ICBM's,
>and so would not have been possible without the missile program.  The
>entire comsat industry is worth one or two billion a year.  That's
>certainly not trivial, but it's not large either; beer and cosmetics
>are of similar size.
>
>Posted:	Tue 19-Nov-1985 14:56 Jerusalem Local Time (GMT+2)
>To:	RHEA::DECWRL::"space@mc"

	  As Carl Sagen points out, Americans spend more on Pizza than
	on the Space Program.

	  Admittedly, there is little DIRECT  commercial  return  from
	the  Space Program.  Hopefully, the commercialization of space
	will change that over the next decade.

	  The returns from Space research are exactly that.  RESEARCH!
	There  is a lot of research done on behalf of space that finds
	its way into industrial applications.  In our company, we have
	several  ex-space employees.  A  lot  of  the  techniques  and
	algorithms we use were learned during the "good old  days"  at
	NASA.

	  There is also the return of pure knowledge, not  to  mention
	National  image.  Let's face it.  The desire for knowledge did
	not get us to the moon.  The desire  to  retake  the  lead  in
	space from the Russians got the bucks for the Buck Rogers.

	  As for SDI, there is one clear  spinoff  from  the  project.
	The  need  to  hoist  a  lot of equipment into space will help
	drive the cost of delivery down.  Just as the air war  in  WW2
	helped  set  the  technical stage for cheap passenger airlines
	(by underwriting a lot of  the  nuts  and  bolts  technology),
	SDI's needs will help set the stage for cheap space travel.

	  Example:  Space Shuttles are very  expensive,  one-at-a-time
	vehicles  built  on  a  prototype  basis.  If  the SDI were to
	decide it needed a lot of  shuttles,  then  an  assembly  line
	would be funded, and the cost of the individual shuttles would
	drop to a point where private  companies  could  afford  them,
	especially at post-SDI-deployment surplus rates!  Remember how
	many early airlines started with war-surplus aircraft?

	  As an aside, if the external shuttle tanks were  re-designed
	to   ride  all  the  way  to  orbit,  they  might  make  great
	pressurized bulk storage units that could  be  attached  to  a
	space   station  framework.   You  could  vent  the  remaining
	propellants to vacuum, seal and pressurize the  tank  with  an
	added  airlock,  and  have  an  instant  office  space.   With
	shuttles going up on a once a  month  basis  during  SDI,  you
	would  have  a  LOT  of  pressurized space at the end of every
	year.

	  The point is, once we are fully in space,  it  can  be  made
	economical.  It  is  the  initial  investment in getting there
	that  is  the  "killer"  and  projects   like   SDI,   whether
	politically  valid  or  not (and the jury is still out on that
	one) are the most source of that investment.

					Michael Rivero

> Frying pans are often cited as a trivial spinoff, but they are not even that.
> Teflon was actually developed by Du Pont in the Fifties, long
> before Apollo needed tough plastics with high melting points.

Quite correct, commercial Teflon was basically a spinoff from the Manhattan
Project, not the space program.  The Manhattan Project did the original
basic engineering needed to turn a laboratory curiosity	discovered in the
30's into a useful material.  DuPont finished it up for commercial use.
Possibly the space program may have done some work on one of the Teflon
variants (note that the original Teflon was not useful for frying pans,
since it wouldn't stick to the pan!) and hence gotten the story started.

> Surely, though, ICs are something major?  Yes, and in the extremely
> early days of the early sixties the space program did have an effect
> on their development.

Yes and no; ICs were a spinoff from ICBMs more than from the space program.

> They set the initial standards for temperature
> and mechanical stress that the IC makers had to meet, and also
> provided a small but steady market for them.

If you check, I think you will find that the original development of the
first practical ICs was military-funded work for the Minuteman ICBM.  So
the government role was a bit more central than just being a demanding
customer.

> ...  NASA landed men on the Moon using only
> resistor-transistor and diode-transistor logic, not even TTL.  Last I
> heard they still relied on DTL for their electronics.  Several
> generations have come and gone since DTL was introduced: regular TTL,
> PMOS, and enhancement-only NMOS. NASA is continually stuck with using
> obsolete parts because it takes so long to develop anything, and
> because its needs are so different from those of the mainstream
> markets.

Don't forget a couple of other major reasons:  (1) NASA has been a little
bit short of funds lately, and (2) NASA's reliability requirements are
such that they can't risk using something hot out of the development groups.
The latter is not unique to NASA; you'll find the same phenomenon in any
environment where major mistakes are unacceptable.  The Bell System invented
the transistor, but it was a good many years before solid-state electronics
showed up in telephone switching systems.  When your equipment is supposed
to work for 40 years, you *can't* use a part in critical applications until
a good reliability database has been built up for it.

NASA landed men on the Moon using old IC technologies because most of the
Apollo hardware was designed in the early 60's, before TTL.  Remember the
lead times involved; Apollo incorporated new technologies only in areas
where it didn't require serious redesign.  Apollo hardware had to be ready
to *fly* in about 1967, which meant that a lot of decisions had to be made
very early indeed to permit adequate development and testing.  For example,
the VAB is bigger than it needed to be for the Saturn V, because the size
of the building had to be fixed before anyone was sure how big the booster
would be.  For another example, the Apollo SM engine was powerful enough to
lift the CSM off the surface of the moon, because its specs were fixed too
early for anyone to be sure that this would be unnecessary.  Remember that
NASA was running final tests for the first Apollo flight, with the lunar
landing (optimistically) hoped to follow in a year or so, a total of six
years after Apollo was ordered.  A rather tight schedule, given that nearly
every piece of hardware they used had to built from scratch.

> ...  A research
> program might develop something unique and innovative, but it rarely
> gains market acceptance because it is specialized to the needs of
> that program...

But the underlying technology is another story.  Nobody is contending that
the precise parts used for Apollo were good for much else.

> The bottom line is that if you want your research to
> be of commercial value, it must be directed to commercial needs.
> Military and space work has commercial value largely by accident.

If so, then there have been a lot of rather lucrative accidents.  Enough
to make them fairly predictable, in fact.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

space@ucbvax.UUCP (11/24/85)

Don't be so pessimistic!  There are books full of spinoff descriptions
available from NASA.  REAL spinoff's, not the myth about teflon or the
general push toward miniature components.  For example, the environment
used to sustain people with immune system deficiencies is a direct
application of space suit technologies & clean rooms.  Most of the
spinoff's are small, technical advances that together can build up
industries.  The big advance coming now is direct manufacture in space.

dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) (11/25/85)

I was interested in spinoffs, so a few years ago I sent away for one
of those (NASA) books.  It was pitiful.  The best spinoff they could point
to was ferrofluids, which are used in (among other things) magnetic disk
drives as a dust seal.  Its worth maybe $100 million, tops.

> The big advance coming now is direct manufacture in space.

I am skeptical.  There is not one product yet identified that is a good
bet for large scale space manufacturing.  What about the drugs purified
with continuous flow electrophoresis?  Don't bet on them: drugs can
be purified on earth using other techniques (for example, by affinity
chromatography in columns filled with monoclonal antibodies).  What
about perfect crystals for semiconductors?  When launch costs are
$50+/ounce that's unlikely to be economical (at least for silicon) and
we can expect continued improvements in earth-based crystal growing
techniques.  The Japanese, for example, are growing crystals in
strong magnetic fields to reduce convection.

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (11/26/85)

Sorry, "ames" has been down over the weekend, and I had to go skiing.
NASA [note the caps] does not attempt to justify it's existence via
"spinoffs" although some of you may note that there is a publication
of this title.  NASA's business is SPACE and AERONAUTICS, to almost
a blind ignorance of other technologies [materials science, computers,
etc.]  Only when it is in their interest does NASA concern itself.

I wrote a brief thing describing the importance of thinking about living
in an age where Relativity and space travel are reality, [about two years
ago?]  and I received a couple of comments about "more eliquoent (sp)
than Carl..."  [Thanks, I'm not that good].  I said that spinoffs are not
the justification for any large research program.  NASA does not [nor
does SDI for that matter] heavily justify spinoff.

I also want to make a comment about "Space Research."  NASA, contrary
to popular believe, is NOT a research organization. It's an engineering
organization.  I've had this told to me by high NASA management.  I've
promised a SETI commentary, I have to get that to the net before I go
back East next week to NASA HQ.

Be seeing ya.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,decwrl,allegra}!ames!aurora!eugene
  emiya@ames-vmsb.ARPA

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (11/27/85)

> > The big advance coming now is direct manufacture in space.
>
> I am skeptical.  There is not one product yet identified that is a good
> bet for large scale space manufacturing.  What about the drugs purified
> with continuous flow electrophoresis?  Don't bet on them: drugs can
> be purified on earth using other techniques (for example, by affinity
> chromatography in columns filled with monoclonal antibodies).

I think the productivity of the CFES experiments has been something like
four HUNDRED times that on Earth and may go higher.  Also, what about the
monodisperse latex reactor experiments with the uniform spheres?  Can
THAT be done on Earth?
--
Roger Noe

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) (11/27/85)

> NASA [note the caps] does not attempt to justify it's existence via
> "spinoffs" although some of you may note that there is a publication
> of this title.  NASA's business is SPACE and AERONAUTICS, to almost
> a blind ignorance of other technologies [materials science, computers,
> etc.]  Only when it is in their interest does NASA concern itself.
>
> I wrote a brief thing describing the importance of thinking about living
> in an age where Relativity and space travel are reality, [about two years
> ago?]  and I received a couple of comments about "more eliquoent (sp)
> than Carl..."  [Thanks, I'm not that good].  I said that spinoffs are not
> the justification for any large research program.  NASA does not [nor
> does SDI for that matter] heavily justify spinoff.

It's always dangerous to argue about horses after the horse has spoken, but...

I just received my first issue of "NASA Tech Briefs", a publication put out
by NASA to tell the world what patents they have ripe for plucking.  This is
in addition to the publication Spinoffs, which (according to the blurb in
the Tech Briefs) exists to tell about those patents which have been
successfully plucked.

(At least some portion of) NASA is quite aware of the benefits of spinoffs,
and, at least as a practical matter, understand that when talking to Congress
or businessmen, the best way to "justify" this "``huge'' expense" is to point
out how much money their constituents/they stand to make because of it.

However, I am tremendously glad that NASA tells their engineers to screw the
spinoffs and get on with "SPACE and AERONAUTICS", like they are supposed to.
When NASA speaks to me, their justification comes from missions, not Velcro.
And I'm a satisfied customer!

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

Out of my way, I'm a scientist!
	War of the Worlds

andrew@cadomin.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) (11/29/85)

In article <8511251310.AA17146@s1-b.arpa> dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) writes:
>> The big advance coming now is direct manufacture in space.
>
>I am skeptical.  There is not one product yet identified that is a good
>bet for large scale space manufacturing.

Powersats.  How much is ten gigawatts of installed electrical capacity
worth today?  Next question, how much would it cost to fuel comparable
coal, oil, or nuclear powered generators over a twenty-plus year lifetime?
I'll admit that these things may not be feasible to build today, but
in fifty years, Powersat Inc. is going to be high up in the Fortune 500.

O'Neill's figures in _The High Frontier_ gave **exponentially** growing
revenues once the program got going.  For an investment of $10 billion/year
for 20 years, revenue was $100 billion/year by year 25. The initial
investment included major space stations and lunar bases. Once
the infrastructure is in place, the powersats themselves can be built
very cheaply - the energy (solar) and materials (lunar) are free.

Now, back to the real world . . .

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (11/29/85)

In article <8511191259.AA24626@decwrl.DEC.COM> redford@JEREMY.DEC (John Redford) writes:

>  There's been a lot of talk recently about spinoffs of high-tech
>government programs, particularly in regard to SDI. I'd like to get
>some discussion going on this, because it's a commonly used argument
>both for SDI and the space program in general.  Let me start with a
>blanket statement:
>
>The commercial value of spinoffs is negligible.
>
>program might develop something unique and innovative, but it rarely
>gains market acceptance because it is specialized to the needs of
>that program.  The bottom line is that if you want your research to
>be of commercial value, it must be directed to commercial needs.

Somehow I find the logic of this argument a bit extreme. Since any
advanced weapons research involves learning things, sometimes very
basic things, it is similar to scientific research (often indistinguishable).
So, if it is not commercially worthwhile, then neither is scientific
research. Lets drop all funding of scientific research - since it is
not directed at producing commercial results, it will rarely be useful!

Picking on a couple of wrong examples is a tried and true debaters
trick, but it doesn't prove anything. So 747's and teflon aren't
exactly spinoffs - does it follow that there are no spinoffs?

Finally, lets look a bit harder for spinoffs. Example: the National
Security Agency, back in the 50's and 60's, was a pioneer in computer
technology. The IBM Stretch was built to their specifications. The
spinoff from this was experience and engineering details used by
IBM to advance the state of the art (please, no flames about 360's, I
don't like 'em either). I have no doubt whatsoever that military
research into advanced communications systems has contributed to
commercial communications. Motorolla Government Systems Division is
here in Phoenix, and it is constantly emitting spinoff companies where
those engineers who learned the state of the art in military systems
are applying it to civilian systems where they perceive the opportunity
for greater profit. The same is true around any weapons research facility.

Another case of spinoff is amateur radio. Much pioneering work in such
technologies as FM and SSB was first done by amateurs for non-commercial
motives. Packet radio is in that stage now. Nevertheless, the SPINOFF
from this work is used worldwide commercially.

>P.S. Well OK, there is one important exception to the above, and that
>is communication satellites.  These were launched on modified ICBM's,
>and so would not have been possible without the missile program.  The

Only ONE important exception?

Finally, let's keep this in mind. The purpose of a weapons development
project is to protect the freedom without which all the rest of these
considerations are meaningless. Rarely can one be justified solely on the
basis of spinoffs. However, the spinoff potential is really there
and can create surprising benefits.

--
John Moore (NJ7E/XE1HDO)
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!john

In article <380@anasazi.UUCP> john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>In article <8511191259.AA24626@decwrl.DEC.COM> redford@JEREMY.DEC (John Redford) writes:
>>
>>  There's been a lot of talk recently about spinoffs of high-tech
And I wrote lots of reply. However, I forgot to mention two instances of
spinoff which I am personally involved in.

I used to work at a company which did Command and Control simulations for the
US Navy. In the process of this work, we developed a sophisticated
simulator program. At some point in this work, the USC Medical Center
in Los Angeles discovered that they had serious control problems in
their Emergency Room and Outpatient Clinic. They hired us to do the
operations research necessary to identify and correct these problems.
Our military OR work, and specifically that simulator, were then used
to solve their problems quite successfully.

I know a researcher in the radar field who has worked on FM military
remote sensing radars. He is now adapting that technology to geological,
mining and other commercial fields.

These may be little spinoffs, but multiply them by a few million
engineers and you get a lot of spinoffs. Just because you cannot point
to more than one BIG spinoff doesn't mean that the spinoff of all of
that military work isn't there. I would maintain that a large part
of the training and experience now in commercial high-tech fields
is a DIRECT result of military work.
--

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (11/29/85)

> >I am skeptical.  There is not one product yet identified that is a good
> >bet for large scale space manufacturing.
>
> Powersats.  How much is ten gigawatts of installed electrical capacity
> worth today?
> . . .
> in fifty years, Powersat Inc. is going to be high up in the Fortune 500.

I'm skeptical.....
Let me point out one thing which was suggested and pointed out by two visiting
sources: Hans Mark when he was #2 man and another speaker.  At this time,
the people who have the most experience in this area are the Soviet and
the Japanese (yes!).  In fact, the Japanese have made a very interesting
proposal to supply power to the US space station using a scaled-down
version of microwave technology.  The effort is being pushed as an
international effort.  If this is the case, it's not clear to me that
a clear picture exists.  Again, let me point out the Soviet have used
GaAs technology in their arrays.

dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) (11/30/85)

> I think the productivity of the CFES experiments has been something like
> four HUNDRED times that on Earth and may go higher.  Also, what about the
> monodisperse latex reactor experiments with the uniform spheres?  Can
> THAT be done on Earth?

The production rate of CFES is 400x higher than CFES done on earth, not
400x better than other techniques.  Ortho Pharmaceutical, which was
Mcdonnell-Douglas's partner in the project, has pulled out, saying they
can now purify the drugs as cheaply on earth.  Also the 400x better
is raw production rates, not cost of the final product.

The latex reactor is why I said "large scale" space manufacturing.  It
was a one-shot run of a speciality product with very limited demand.

dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) (12/01/85)

ihnp4!alberta!cadomin!andrew@ucbvax.berkeley.edu  (Andrew Folkins)
writes:
>Powersats. ...

Of course.  I was refering to products that can be made using NASA's
LEO space station.  Sorry I didn't make that clear.

dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) (12/03/85)

It really isn't fair to say that a research program has nothing to do
with a discovery if bringing that discovery to commercial use requires
an additional N billion dollars (far exceeding the cost of the research
program).  A serendipitous discovery can be quite cheap, and serves
more of a trailblazing function.  This kind of discovery, however,
might better be stimulated by basic research.

I just thought of another spinoff from the space program: cryogenics.
NASA had to develop a lot of the technology for manipulating liquid
hydrogen in bulk.  Today we see liquid hydrogen tank trucks on the
highways, but several decades ago LH was a real engineering nightmare.
Liquid hydrogen handling technology could have considerable spinoff
potential if LH fueled SST's are built (although since NASA is involved
in aeronautics, it's not clear this would count as a spinoff).

dave@quest.UUCP (David Messer) (12/06/85)

> I was interested in spinoffs, so a few years ago I sent away for one
> of those (NASA) books.  It was pitiful.  The best spinoff they could point
> to was ferrofluids, which are used in (among other things) magnetic disk
> drives as a dust seal.  Its worth maybe $100 million, tops.

You're right.  It is pitiful that that was all they came up with.
What about modern computers for instance?

> > The big advance coming now is direct manufacture in space.
>
> I am skeptical.  There is not one product yet identified that is a good
> bet for large scale space manufacturing. ...

How about solar power satellites?  Communications?  Weather
prediction?

> What
> about perfect crystals for semiconductors?  When launch costs are
> $50+/ounce that's unlikely to be economical ...

Do you realize how many semiconductor chips you can make out of
an ounce of perfect silicon crystals?  $50/ounce is an inconsequential
cost for such a product.
--

David Messer   UUCP:  ...ihnp4!quest!dave
                      ...ihnp4!encore!vaxine!spark!14!415!sysop

carroll@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/07/85)

There's also the case where one of the first graphics house's (a company
that produces computer graphics) got it's start in the military. They
had been doing studies on radiation penetration (mostly neutrons) of
various objects, when it occurred to them that if they just changed the
system to dealing with light, the whole thing would do really good
shaded 3-D images. Not very major, but just one more thing in the series.

jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) (12/09/85)

In article <380@anasazi.UUCP> john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>In article <8511191259.AA24626@decwrl.DEC.COM> redford@JEREMY.DEC (John Redford) writes:
>>
>>The commercial value of spinoffs is negligible.
>>
>>program might develop something unique and innovative, but it rarely
>>gains market acceptance because it is specialized to the needs of
>>that program.  The bottom line is that if you want your research to
>>be of commercial value, it must be directed to commercial needs.
>
>So, if it is not commercially worthwhile, then neither is scientific
>research. Lets drop all funding of scientific research - since it is
>not directed at producing commercial results, it will rarely be useful!

I recall local firm here in Western New York that designed and
manufactured a component for the shuttle was able to market a product
based on that component (a small motor, I believe).  The point here is
that the company was producing a product (and jobs) that it would NOT
have if it wasn't for the shuttle program, which esentially served to
subsidize the component's design making the step towards marketing it
was a very small one.

	joe piazza

EINAUDI@ICNUCEVM.BITNET (02/12/86)

MAILBOOK: ALL
HELO ICNUCEVM.BITNET
TICK 2216
VERB ON
MAIL FROM:<EINAUDI@ICNUCEVM>
RCPT TO:<SPACE@ANGBAND>
DATA
Date: TUESDAY 11 Feb 1986 21:22:16 SET
From: Alessandro Berni <>
      (Tel  +(39)10-6859290)
To:   SPACE@ANGBAND
Subject: About Spinoffs

I don't believe there should be particular problems for sending copies of
NASA's Spinoffs book.
I received myself a couple of years ago a copy of the corrent issue from
the public affairs office at JSC without asking for it precisely.
May i suggest (in case there are no more copies left at the public affairs
office) to contact:

Director, Technology Utilization and Industrial Affairs Division.
P.O. Box 8757
Baltimore-Washington International Airport.
Maryland 21240

Alessandro Berni
Genoa, Italy.