[bit.listserv.christia] of related interest

MFRANCL@CC.BRYNMAWR.EDU (02/13/90)

From:   IN%"BELIEF-L@BROWNVM.BITNET"  "Personal Ideologies Discussion List" 12-F
EB
   -1990 22:50:06.39
To:     "MICHELLE M. FRANCL" <MFRANCL@cc.brynmawr.edu>
CC:
Subj:   RE: Radioactive Straw

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 90 22:44:00 EST
From: MFRANCL@cc.brynmawr.edu
Subject: RE: Radioactive Straw
Sender: Personal Ideologies Discussion List <BELIEF-L@BROWNVM.BITNET>
To: "MICHELLE M. FRANCL" <MFRANCL@cc.brynmawr.edu>

To add fuel to a fire - and a response to Tom Faller's posting on
creationism:

        I often suspect that creation vs. evolution is a test for
        ideological purity in fundamental traditions.

I did appreciate Steven Grimes remarks about the c/e controversy.  The
literal truth of scriptures lies in what they reveal about their
author - God.  I believe that God created the heavens and the earth,
that he ensouled man and woman, that he gave us the power to choose
between "good fruit" and "bad fruit", etc.  I would, if given the grace,
surrender my life for theses beliefs.  In many ways, I have - in
tyring to live in Christ.  On the other hand, I wouldn't hand over
my life as a witness that the "fruit" really was an apple - or even that
if was really a piece of fruit.

I don't feel the same way about scientific 'beliefs'.  I have no faith
in them.  I use the models which we can create via rational thought.  I
delight in the discovery of the riches which God has left for us to
explore, but these are not thing which I have given my life for.

I have sent Matt mail about his sensitive reply to my query about the
reasons behind the c/e furor and to Kurt as well - but I will add
for the viewing public that I am reasonably well aquauinted with the
scientific method having a Ph.D. in theoretical chemistry.  I having
been a practicing Catholic all my life - and therefore an heir to
a long Christian tradition.  I am in my second year of theological
studies at the seminary, so I am not ignorant of matters related to
belief either.

                                Michelle