[net.space] Statistics of crater counts on various moons

REM@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Elton Maas) (02/10/86)

U> Date: 31 Jan 86 16:05:17 GMT
U> From: ucdavis!lll-crg!seismo!hao!noao!terak!mot!anasazi!will@ucbvax.berkeley.
edu  (Will Fuller)
What a horribly long USENET path!!
U> Now that we have *lots* of pretty pictures of various and
U> sundry planets and satelites throughout the solar system,
U> whats the latest and greatest in crator counting? Do the
U> statistics clearly show a variance as a function of distance
U> from the sun? Is there some sort of "hot" belt characterized
U> by heavy bombardment?

For the most part I think the variations you seek are swamped by
varying times at which the various moons solidified and started
keeping permanent record of impacts. Even icy moons like Callisto were
liquid during the very early heavy bombardment, in fact the
bombardment may have been the mechanism to keep them warm. The
heaviest bombardment was the very early time, so a slight variation in
time of solidification (a few million years one way or other) could
cause a great difference in number of craters that have occurred since
then (solid earlier -> early ones still there; solid later -> early
ones in liquid didn't stick, only few recent ones show). It's probably
not possible for a moon to be solid from day one thus keep a record of
*all* impacts since day one, thus there is probably *no* unbiased
count of impacts. However by factoring out gravitational purturbations
from parent planet and size of moon (internal radioactive decay as
well as heat retention) and other factors, it may be possible
eventually go get some idea of where the meteor swarms predominated,
but I would doubt it would be easy.

Once we land on all the moons (with robot craft presumably; those
outer moons are damn cold) and take material samples, we may be able
to radioactively date the "rocks" (water-ice, frozen ammonia, etc.)
like we did with the moon rocks, after which we'll able to time the
individual meteors and thus get a distribution in time instead of just
a gross count. At that time we'll be able to compare impact counts AT
CORRESPONDING TIMES on various moons, and test your theory.

michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) (02/13/86)

In article <8602100314.AA12046@s1-b.arpa> REM%IMSSS@SU-SCORE.ARPA writes:
>U> From: ucdavis!lll-crg!seismo!hao!noao!terak!mot!anasazi
>U> !will@ucbvax.berkeley.edu  (Will Fuller)
>U>
>U> Now that we have *lots* of pretty pictures of various and
>U> sundry planets and satelites throughout the solar system,
>U> whats the latest and greatest in crator counting? Do the
>U> statistics clearly show a variance as a function of distance
>U> from the sun? Is there some sort of "hot" belt characterized
>U> by heavy bombardment?
>
>For the most part I think the variations you seek are swamped by
>varying times at which the various moons solidified and started
>keeping permanent record of impacts. Even icy moons like Callisto were
>liquid during the very early heavy bombardment, in fact the
>bombardment may have been the mechanism to keep them warm. The
>heaviest bombardment was the very early time, so a slight variation in
>time of solidification (a few million years one way or other) could
>cause a great difference in number of craters that have occurred since
>then (solid earlier -> early ones still there; solid later -> early
>ones in liquid didn't stick, only few recent ones show). It's probably
>not possible for a moon to be solid from day one thus keep a record of
>*all* impacts since day one, thus there is probably *no* unbiased
>count of impacts. However by factoring out gravitational purturbations
>from parent planet and size of moon (internal radioactive decay as
>well as heat retention) and other factors, it may be possible
>eventually go get some idea of where the meteor swarms predominated,
>but I would doubt it would be easy.

I think your point about the varying dates of solidification is
a good one -- probably some moons did freeze after the time of
greatest bombardment.  However, I believe a problem still exists
with obtaining a meteoric impact time distribution even on bodies
which were solid throughout that period.  The reason is, on very
old terrain, such as the Moon's southern hemisphere, the craters
have achieved "saturation" -- that is, new impacts didn't create
more craters, they just covered up existing ones.  How does one
find the total meteorite impact count under those circumstances?

>Once we land on all the moons (with robot craft presumably; those
>outer moons are damn cold) and take material samples, we may be able
>to radioactively date the "rocks" (water-ice, frozen ammonia, etc.)
>like we did with the moon rocks, after which we'll able to time the
>individual meteors and thus get a distribution in time instead of just
>a gross count. At that time we'll be able to compare impact counts AT
>CORRESPONDING TIMES on various moons, and test your theory.

Why are only robot craft appropriate?  There is such a thing as
insulation, after all.  We already have to keep similarly low
temperatures within and drastically higher temperatures out
of the shuttle's main H2/O2 fuel tank.  It's easier to insulate
cold out of a ship, than keep out intense heat -- for example,
if we were to land on Mercury or dip into the Sun's atmosphere.
There *may* be reasons -- high radiation on certain of Jupiter's
moons, for example -- why humans cannot easily explore some of
the outer moons in person.  But the cold per se won't stop us.

--

Michael McNeil
3Com Corporation     "All disclaimers including this one apply"

	[Atoms] move in the void and catching each other up jostle
	together, and some recoil in any direction that may chance,
	and others become entangled with one another in various
	degrees according to the symmetry of their shapes and sizes
	and positions and order, and they remain together and thus
	the coming into being of composite things is effected.
		Simplicius, sixth century A.D.