[net.space] out-of-date

REM@IMSSS (Robert Elton Maas, this host known locally only) (02/05/86)

D> Date: 24-Jan-1986 1133
D> From: decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!dipirro@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
D> Subject: Joy ride into space
D> 	I think your joy-ride threshold is too low. I would be willing to pay
D> $100 for the experience and might even go as high as $300 or $400. I believe
D> that many a yuppie would even be willing to pay more than that.

I notice a lot of messages like this written *before* Challenger blew
up, which are now making their way into the digest. I wonder how man
of these message-authors still feel the same now?

Disclaimer: I disclaim this disclaimer.

julian@riacs.UUCP (02/08/86)

> > I think your joy-ride threshold is too low. I would be willing to pay
>
> I notice a lot of messages like this written *before* Challenger blew
> up, which are now making their way into the digest. I wonder how many
> of these message-authors still feel the same now?

Are you kidding?  I'd STILL sell my Macintosh to go !!
--
"If Chaos himself sat umpire, what better could he do?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez  (ARPA: julian@riacs)
	415-694-6141        415-694-6363  (UUCP: decvax!decwrl!julian@riacs)
	RIACS - Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science

wjr@frog.UUCP (STella Calvert) (02/12/86)

In article <8602041137.AA13581@s1-b.arpa> REM%IMSSS@SU-SCORE.ARPA writes:
>D> Subject: Joy ride into space
>D> 	I think your joy-ride threshold is too low. I would be willing to pay

>I notice a lot of messages like this written *before* Challenger blew
>up, which are now making their way into the digest. I wonder how man
>of these message-authors still feel the same now?

Well, I don't know whether my first message got out, any more than I'm
sure this one's getting out (send mail if you get it) but I'm still
interested in a ride, because it's _not_ a joyride.

The graduation from the cradle of earth to the playpen of the inner
solar system is sufficiently important that I'm still willing to pay a
goodly clump of money for the chance to participate.

I'd even be willing to pay a few bucks (~$10-100) for a lottery ticket
that gave me a small chance of being able to participate personally
(even by getting turned into crispies) and a certainty of contributing
to the future of humanity in space.

And BTW, to all of you who think my "organization" is a joke --
WRONG!  I'm seriously (religiously) devoted to the essential task of
this generation, and as willing to get martyred for that cause as any
first-century piece of lionchow.  I'd rather live to join the
One-hundred-mile-high Club, 8-), but opening the door to the stars is
much more important than the continued existence of one person (or
seven, for that matter).

				STella Calvert

		Every man and every woman is a star.

Guest on:	...!decvax!frog!wjr
Life:		Baltimore!AnnArbor!Smyrna!<LotsOfHitchhikingAndShortVisits>
			!SantaCruz!Berkeley!AnnArbor!Taxachusetts
Future:			...	(!L5!TheBelt!InterstellarSpace)

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) (02/14/86)

> In article <8602041137.AA13581@s1-b.arpa> REM%IMSSS@SU-SCORE.ARPA writes:
> >D> Subject: Joy ride into space
> >D> 	I think your joy-ride threshold is too low. I would be willing to pay
>
> >I notice a lot of messages like this written *before* Challenger blew
> >up, which are now making their way into the digest. I wonder how man
> >of these message-authors still feel the same now?
>
> Well, I don't know whether my first message got out, any more than I'm
> sure this one's getting out (send mail if you get it) but I'm still
> interested in a ride, because it's _not_ a joyride.

Just for your amusement, a headline in today's (14 Feb) Boston Globe:

	Backup teacher says `yes' to shuttle offer

Sign me up!

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

This space dedicated to Challenger and her crew,
Francis R. Scobee, Michael J. Smith, Ellison S. Onizuka, Judith Resnik,
Ronald E. McNair, Gregory B. Jarvis, and Christa McAuliffe.

"...and slipped the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God."