[bit.listserv.sas-l] Axis Specifications in G3D

FULLRICH@UNMCVM.BITNET (Fred Ullrich) (01/12/90)

I am producing a 3-dimensional plot using PROC G3D and would like to be
able to exert some control over the tick marks displayed on the axes.
Specifically, I wish to reverse the order of the ticks on the 'Y' axis.
Unlike PROC GPLOT, PROC G3D does not support use of the HAXIS or VAXIS
statements.  The only solution i've arrived at is to create negative
values for the variable -- but this makes the axis label confusing.

If you are aware of any solutions, I would appreciate reading them.  I am
using version 5.18 on VM/HPO.  Thanks.

Fred Ullrich    (FULLRICH@UNMCVM)
Department of Computing Services
University of Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE  68198-5030
"The geographical center of the cultural universe"

BURGER@DMRHRZ11.BITNET (Christian Burger) (01/13/90)

Fred Ullrich writes:

> I am producing a 3-dimensional plot using PROC G3D and would like to be
> able to exert some control over the tick marks displayed on the axes.
> Specifically, I wish to reverse the order of the ticks on the 'Y' axis.
> Unlike PROC GPLOT, PROC G3D does not support use of the HAXIS or VAXIS
> statements.  The only solution i've arrived at is to create negative
> values for the variable -- but this makes the axis label confusing.
(deleted)

The SAS/GRAPH manual (p.407) suggests using the NOLABEL option in order
to create the labels with ANNOTATE. I could imagine that this solution will
appear to be extremely cumbersome since you have to label all three axes
and problems of text positioning won't make life easier for you...

As a simple solution I would suggest to use a PROC FORMAT step and thus
redefine the tick labels as character strings which of course may appear
in any desired order. An example program follows.

  DATA; DO x=1 TO 4 BY .5; DO y=1 TO 4 BY .5;
    z=SIN(SQRT((2*x-5)**2+(2*y-5)**2)); OUTPUT; END; END; RUN;
  PROC FORMAT; VALUE y 1='4' 2='3' 3='2' 4='1'; RUN;
  PROC G3D; PLOT y*x=z; FORMAT y y.; RUN;

Greetings, Chris

Christian Burger
Dept. of Polymers