[bit.listserv.novell] Max files open problem with Netware Shell

HOISVE@XANADU.CC.UTAH.EDU (01/18/90)

Date:     Wednesday  January 17, 1990  13:35
To:       NOVELL@SUVM.BITNET
From:     David Hoisve -- HOISVE@CC-XANADU   (6450:28)
Subject:  Max files open problem with Netware Shell

I just received the following note from one of our users.  Anyone have a
better idea or sollution to this problem?

Thanks...

-- Dave

David Hoisve
University of Utah Computer Center
(801) 581-6025

NSFNet:   HOISVE@XANADU.CC.UTAH.EDU
or...     HOISVE@CC.UTAH.EDU
BitNet:   HOISVE@UTAHCCA.BITNET

******   START OF FORWARDED MESSAGE   ******

Date:     Wednesday  January 17, 1990  12:39
To:       HOISVE@CC-XANADU
From:     BILL JOHNSON -- BILL@DP1   (101:10005A017CB9)
Subject:  Possible bug in NOVELL network shell generator

I am in the process of developing an accounting and scheduling system for te
Learning Services group (SETOC) at KUED.  The language I'm using is CLARION.
The programs recently failed when I tried to open more than 40 files on the
NOVELL network at KUED (CLARION indicated there were "too many open files").
This problem does not occur on stand alone PC's.  When I consulted the
CLARION support "hot-line", I was told ANET3.COM (and NET3.COM) contained a
hard coded parameter of 40 files maximum.  This parameter is located in the
104th byte of ANET3.COM and NET3.COM, and contains a hex-28 (40 files).  I
was told to change this to a hex-68.  Changing this parameter corrected the
problem.

This appears to be a bug in the NOVELL network shell generation routine.  The
NOVELL network shell generator should have a higher value for this parameter,
or (better yet) it should allow the user to specify his/her own maximum
files.  Please make sure NOVELL is aware of this problem, because patching
generated network control files is NOT the way to maintain network software.

I woul appreciate knowing what NOVELL plans to do about this problem, so we
won't have to patch these files every time the user's network requires a new
shell.  I appreciate anything you can do to remedy this defect in NOVELL's
software.  If you or NOVELL require any further information, my campus phone
number is 581-3314, and my campus mailing address is 150 Park Building.

Thank you,
William E. Johnson

******   END OF FORWARDED MESSAGE   ******