[bit.listserv.novell] nec890 on novell

KHOWARD@UVVM.BITNET (Ken Howard) (01/19/90)

On Thu, 18 Jan 90 10:17:14 LCL Howard Rollins <PSYHAR@EMUVM1> said:
> I have two nec890 laser printers on a novell network running under
> appletalk.  The 890's are connected to novell through an nl1000 in the
> server.  These machines work fine in postscript mode.  However, it is
> my understanding that one can shift them into other modes via software.
> The 890's emulate the H.P. laserjet and the Diablo 630.  Has anyone
> tried to switch them in this setting so that software that does not use
> postscript can print to them?  It would be particularly helpful if I
> could set up a print queue for each emulation that would change the
> printer to the appropriate emulation and then back to postscript following
> the print job.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Howard Rollins
> bitnet psyhar@emuvm1
> internet psyhar@emuvm1.cc.emory.edu

Howard,

I'm referring to May'89 Lan Technology p61, for a discussion of your problem
with LC890's.

"... The NEC laser printer requires a long wait time (up to 40 seconds in
 some cases) to change its mode before any printed output can be sent to it".
"... Netware's queues send both the print-job specification (printer mode
choices, etc) and the print job itself at once. There is no mechanism to
for providing a delay between these two functions on a per-job basis".
"... Create four queues, one for each printer mode. Have users send output
to the queue, as explained above, but direct only one of these queues to
the printer at a time. ... When a printer operator monitoring PCONSOLE
notices a queue with a given mode's output is getting too long, he can take the
running queue offline, manually reset the printer to the new mode, and direct
the new queue to the printer.  This means that jobs requiring that specific
mode will print in a batch".

Not great, but effective.

Now a question.  Have you solved input tray switching in softare from MS Word?
I'm referring to Mac software here, but the question applies to pc's as well.
Software such as PageMaker provides for printer definition files to support
such features of particular printers.  But Word does not.

Ken Howard                                     KHOWARD @ UVVM.UVIC.CA
Communications Systems, Computing Services
University of Victoria                                   604/721-7659

Date:         Thu, 18 Jan 90 11:40:09 PST
From:         Ken Howard <KHOWARD@UVVM>
Subject:      Re: nec890 on novell
To:           Novell LAN Interest Group <NOVELL@SUVM>