[bit.listserv.novell] Sophie's intermittant problem

ABTSACS@UWLAX.BITNET (Dan Abts - UWL System/Network Manager) (02/01/90)

>From:  FRED::WIECEK       "Sophie L. Wiecek" 31-JAN-1990 16:11
>To:    IN%"novell@suvm.pucc.princeton.edu",WIECEK
>Subj:  Intermittent network problem
>
>Hi all, I'm a networking novice with a wierd intermittent problem.
>
>Our setup:
>   Server - HP Vectra RS 20, 155 Mb ESDI drive, 4 Mb RAM
>   Netware 286 2.15
>   Workstations - 40 286 HP ES/12.
>
>For NICs we use 3Com Etherlink II (3c501).  In the server we also have
>a Western Digital (WD8003) card, which is LAN B (20 more 286 workstations).
>However we haven't had this second logical lan attached for a while.
>
>Problem:
>It's been running fine for about a month.  Last week when I was away,
>users couldn't connect  -- they got the "File Server not found" message
>which usually means a break in the cabling.  But by the time I got back,

stuff deleted

>Sophie Wiecek
>Sr. Micro Consultant
>the Wharton School  - Univ of PA

This may have been a typo but the 3com Etherlink II is a 3c503 and the
3com Etherlink I is 3c501.  If you get these mixed up, you will have
problems not finding servers.

                                                Dan Abts
                                                Academic Computing Services
                                                Univ. of WI - La Crosse