[bit.listserv.novell] Printer & Queue Management: more

BOMR@TRIUMFER.BITNET (ROD NUSSBAUMER) (02/02/90)

>>Rod Nussbaumer wrote:
>>
>>        All Netware gurus:
>>
>>        I am trying to set up my print queues so that a queue on one
>>        file server (ANW 286 ver 2.15C) can be serviced by a
>>        printer on another file server (ANW 286 ver 2.12).  This
>>        would (hopefully) allow users on a given file server (who are
>>        attached to the other file server) to simply send print data
>>        to a queue, without worrying about any other intricacies themselves.
>>
>=============================
>From:         Glen Kauffman <gkauffma@ORION.OAC.UCI.EDU>
>
>Rod,
>        Here's just a little hint that will save you the hours I spent
>trying to play these games:
>
>        Spend $100 (or so) and get either Brightwork's PS-Print or
>        Fresh Technology's Printer Assist.
>
>You can do fancy tricks like you describe and much more.  Check it out
>
>Glen Kauffman
>University of California, Irvine
>gkauffma@orion.oac.uci.edu

        Yes, I've used Printer Assist, but:
        1.) I didn't see how it would address this particular
            situation.
        2.) It is intolerably S______L______O______W, even at it's
            fastest setting, such that printing graphics to a LaserJet
            is unsuitable.
        I will look into PS-Print, but as I understand it, it does
        pretty much what Printer Assist does.
        BTW, I'd still recommend Printer Assist for non-demanding jobs,
        especially at its very reasonable price.

>=============================
>From:         Timothy Lange <tim@J.CC.PURDUE.EDU>
>
>I have setup my 2.12 and 2.15 networks so users on the 2.15 can print to
>lasers on the 2.12 server without knowing where the printers are.
>I used PRINTCON to setup default jobs and speciality jobs.  The default job
>on my 2.15 server says to print to the queues on the 2.12 server.  I don't
>have a GUEST account on the 2.12 server, so it isn't needed.  I do have all
>printers on all servers setup so a printer number is spooled to the appropriate
>queue.  This spooling seems necessary for some tasks.
>
>From CIS I downloaded the instructions to patch NPRINT and CAPTURE so they
>will all read the SUPERVISOR's PRINT.DAT file.  This means the Supervisor's
>copy of PRINTCON and PRINTDEF info will be used by all on the network.
>
>The nice thing about the print jobs is I can easily switch printers, queues,
>and servers around and reroute output with just a few seconds with PRINTCON.
>
>Tim.

        I looked at the PRINTCON stuff, but couldn't see where it
        would help me.  I'll explore that avenue further.

>=============================
>From:         Keith Ostertag <KOSTERTAG@WILLIAMS.BITNET>
>
>Could you tell me a more about this idea of patching NPRINT and CAPTURE so
>they will read the Supervisor's PRINT.DAT file?  I am new to Novell, and
>could not find in the documentation how to copy job configurations from
>the Supervisor to the user.

    The patch utils sound like the hot ticket, I'll pursue that as well.

>=============================
>From:         Ton Roovers <ton@GUFALET.UUCP>
>
>That is exactly what I was looking for too! And I thought maybe PS-Print
>could do the trick: let one (dedicated) PC be attached to all servers and
>serve queues on all those servers, redirecting printer jobs to one
>printer connected to that PC. But it seems this doesn't work, since you
>can load only one 'printer driver' per physical port (p.e. LPT1). If you
>try to load a second one, the first one is replaced. Does anybody know if
>other products like Printer Assist have the functionality we are looking for?
>I think Netware should handle this kind of thing.
>
>--
> Ton Roovers                                                    systems manager

        Maybe I didn't make my problem clear.  At present we have two
        servers, and everyone attaches to both of them, logging in to
        either one or the other.  Everyone has a CAPTURE command which
        specifies a /Server=  &  a  /Queue=  in their login script.
        Most of the time, users just use this as the default printer,
        no problems.  They just don't grasp the idea of having to
        specify a different server simply to attach to a different printer,
        and then when they try to chase down their output, using PCONSOLE,
        they can never find the print queues on the other server.  I guess
        its just not obvious enough to select a menu item which lets them
        look at other servers.  This problem will get a lot worse when more
        servers are added to the network.

        Ideally, I would like to have all servers see a queue with a
        name like LAB_LASERJET, and be able to simply send data to it,
        without needing to know that it's on a different fileserver.

        What I have tried is:
            Using PCONSOLE as SUPERVISOR;
                create a print queue,
                goto 'Print Queue Information' menu,
                Select 'Queue Servers'.  The default
                file server name appears, and if I press
                'INSert', the menu 'Queue Server Candidates'
                comes up blank.  I was hoping to see the names
                of all of the other file servers on the network,
                or just the ones I'm attached to, in this menu.

            Is there something wrong, here?

        Thanks to everyone who gave responses.

        |  Rod Nussbaumer                          |
        |  Programmer / Technologist               |
        |  TRIUMF  ---  Vancouver, BC, Canada      |
        |  (604) 222-1047                          |
        |  BITNET%"BOMR@TRIUMFER"                  |
        |  USERTRRN@mtsg.ubc.ca                    |

DOUGW@BROWNVM.BITNET (Doug Wilkinson) (02/03/90)

>Posted on 1 Feb 1990 at 16:11:45 by BrownVM Mailer (103837)
>
>Printer & Queue Management: more
>

>        Maybe I didn't make my problem clear.  At present we have two
>        servers, and everyone attaches to both of them, logging in to
>        either one or the other.  Everyone has a CAPTURE command which
>        specifies a /Server=  &  a  /Queue=  in their login script.
>        Most of the time, users just use this as the default printer,
>        no problems.  They just don't grasp the idea of having to
>        specify a different server simply to attach to a different printer,
>        and then when they try to chase down their output, using PCONSOLE,
>        they can never find the print queues on the other server.  I guess
>        its just not obvious enough to select a menu item which lets them
>        look at other servers.  This problem will get a lot worse when more
>        servers are added to the network.
>

>        Ideally, I would like to have all servers see a queue with a
>        name like LAB_LASERJET, and be able to simply send data to it,
>        without needing to know that it's on a different fileserver.
>
>        What I have tried is:
>            Using PCONSOLE as SUPERVISOR;
>                create a print queue,
>                goto 'Print Queue Information' menu,
>                Select 'Queue Servers'.  The default
>                file server name appears, and if I press
>                'INSert', the menu 'Queue Server Candidates'
>                comes up blank.  I was hoping to see the names
>                of all of the other file servers on the network,
>                or just the ones I'm attached to, in this menu.
>
>            Is there something wrong, here?

I think I understand what you are trying to do, and either I am completely
wrong, or your solution is very easy.

The following should work in theory, but I have not tried it.  Some of the
following may answer the questions above about PCONSOLE.

I would think that all you have to do is create a queue on each server that
describes the printer it will be servicing.  Next, using PCONSOLE, (at least
with 2.15C of NetWare) you will look on the main menu, and choose "Print Server
Information".  This will list the available print servers.

THIS IS WHAT YOU WERE MISSING IN PCONSOLE ABOVE.

***  If you press INSERT here, it will ask for additional print server names.
You can try entering the names of other file servers (which are print servers
also) here.  Once you do this, you can go into each queue
and add the server as a print server.  (The servers should appear in the
list when you hit INSERT).

Once all this is done, you should be able to use PRINTCON to create print jobs
that will give people all the flexibility they need.  By creating the queues
on each server, the users never have to switch servers to see when their job
has finished.

As I said, I have not tried it, but it seems reasonable to expect it to! :-)

Doug Wilkinson
Computing and Information Services
Brown University