[bit.listserv.novell] SLIP and NCSA Telnet 2.2D

POSTMASTER@IUGOLD.BITNET (General Delivery) (02/05/90)

From: <robelr>
To: GOLD::"BITNET%\"Novell@SUVM\""
Subject: SLIP and NCSA Telnet 2.2D

I realize that this is not Novell specific so, if there is a better
place to post I'd appreciate knowing about it.  I figure most of
you also use Telnet so this may be of interest.

I have been able to get NCSA's ver 2.2D Telnet to use SLIP to a Cisco
STS-10 terminal server via a direct connection using the Clarkson
version 5 SLIP8250 driver.  The next thing that I need to work on is
to get this to work over a 9600 baud modem.  Has anyone done this?

The problem I've encountered is that Telnet has no modem control
features (initialization, dialing, hangup, etc.). I've completed a
rather klugey phone dialer that I plan to use in a batch file before
if there were problems connecting) and am thinking about maybe later
incorporating the code into Telnet itself.  Has anyone already done
this?  I'd hate to have to reinvent the wheel and hear the Telnet code
is MASSIVE.

If anyone else is interested, I'm more than willing to share what I've
got thus far but, be warned, its not pretty...

Thanks in advance for any working solutions, code, or other advice...

Allen Robel
University Computing Services
Indiana University
robelr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu