[bit.listserv.novell] Print Server Release

artw@ENGR.WISC.EDU (02/06/90)

Due to the great response, we will be releasing our print server to
the general University community (Not presently for use by non-academic
institutions).

The release date is set for February 20th.  We need some time to clean
up the code, create/update documentation and remove some site-specific
features.  We will also be including some other utilities that have been
developed here but that we have not seen commercially avaliable.

Here's a brief list of specifications as provided by our staff:

Support up to five printers, (three parallel, two serial)
Support up to eight servers, (the shell can only attach to that many servers)
Requires Netware 2.10 or above
Handles Multiple Queues from Multiple Servers on any printer
Handles Source to Destination (from one queue to another, this is useful
  for allowing users to print on a printer that is on a server on which they
  don't have a login.
Supports a commnds queue.  This queue can be used to instruct the print server
  to perform various operations.  These can be as basic as reboot, or can
  be spawn calls to programs such as MakeUser, for automated user creation.

What isn't supported (this may list may change by the 20th):

Banners are not currently supported (probably will by the 20th).
Non-dedicated operation (probably not by the 20th).
Full commands queue flexibility (It's a limited set right now)

Future planned enhancements:

Interserver mail handling for a queue based mailer.  Plans are for
  PC support by the end of march and macintosh support at about summer time.
Easy commands queue setup
Better banner support

Now for the distribution questions:
What is the easiest way for people to get this stuff.  Can everyone get
files from Rodan?  Can I post this to Rodan, or some other anonymous
FTP server.  I have a feeling that BITNET users won't be able to get
files from an anon-FTP site.  Is that right?
Help here is appreciated, especially for us who know very little about BITNET.

Art

Art Wittmann                                  Phone: (608) 263-1748
Network Manager                               Email: wittmann@engr.wisc.edu
Computer Aided Engineering Center                or: wittmann@cae.wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin, Madison

DAN@GACVAX1.BITNET (Dan Boehlke) (02/06/90)

Art Wittmann writes:

> Due to the great response, we will be releasing our print server to
> the general University community (Not presently for use by non-academic
> institutions).

> The release date is set for February 20th.  We need some time to clean
> up the code, create/update documentation and remove some site-specific
> features.  We will also be including some other utilities that have been
> developed here but that we have not seen commercially avaliable.

        .
        .
        .

> Now for the distribution questions:
> What is the easiest way for people to get this stuff.  Can everyone get
> files from Rodan?  Can I post this to Rodan, or some other anonymous
> FTP server.  I have a feeling that BITNET users won't be able to get
> files from an anon-FTP site.  Is that right?
> Help here is appreciated, especially for us who know very little about BITNET.

BITNET users can access FTP site through the BITFTP@PUCC server.  BITFTP
accepts mail messages containing almost the same commands that an interactive
user would use.  New users should send a mail message with one line containing
the work HELP.  BITFTP will send use a user guide in the form of a mail
message.

I find BITFTP difficult to use.  Especially when it comes to transfering
binaries.  BITNET uses EBCDIC rather than ASCII, so binary files must either be
sent in a special mode, or UUENCODED.  BITFTP now supports UUENCODE, but I have
found that it has many wierd and sometimes not so wonderfull features, to try
to help you pick the correct mode to transfer a file in.

A while back I set up a server at MAILSERV@GACVAX1.BITNET.  This server was
suppose to be an alternate source for the files found at RODAN.  I suspect that
I have fallen behind in keeping the latest versions of the RODAN files
available.  I have had many demands on my time lately.  Using them on figuring
out BITFTP was not high on the list.  A site I have DECnet access to is about
to Join the Internet.  Gustavus will be joining the Internet in the next
several months (the National Science Foundation has approved the funding, but
is not sure wether to fund it out of this years budget or wait for next years.)
I will be keeping this archive more up to date then I have been.  The site I
have DECnet access to is not dependant on NSF funding, and thus already has its
equipment.  I would be glad to place the U of W Printserver software in the
MAILSERV archive even before the FTP access becomes easy.  If anyone is
interested in MAILSERV, send MAILSERV@GACVAX1 and one line mail message
containing the word "HELP".

Dan Boehlke
Campus Network Manager