[bit.listserv.novell] Problems with CAPTURE & mode - reply

paulg@INFORMATICS.LAN.NRC.CA (02/07/90)

FROM: Gravel, Paul

TO: @NRCVM01.NRC.CA:NOVELL@SUVM.BITNET                         DATE: 02-06-90
                                                               TIME: 16:51
CC:
SUBJECT:   RE: Problems with CAPTURE & mode - reply
PRIORITY:
ATTACHMENTS:

>> From:         Keith Ostertag <KOSTERTAG%WILLIAMS.BITNET@NRCVM01.NRC.CA>
>> Subject:      RE: Problems with CAPTURE
>> The problem we are having is our inability to send printer escape codes to
>> our HP LaserJet through the use of print jobs configured with printer
>> modes. For instance, we want to capture certain files and have them printed
>> in landscape mode or in Courier (we default to Prestige).  We would use
>> this with applications such as Lotus which send print jobs to DOS LPT1
>> routinely. All parameters of our print jobs seem to work except the mode-
>> we can choose the queue, the banner, the timeout, everything, but the
>> choice of mode doesn't effect the printout at all.  I have tried copying
>> the Princon.dat file to PUBLIC   , I have set SMODE=5 for capture.exe, I
>> have checked and rechecked the escape codes in the printer functions
>> associated with the modes, and sutill nothing. The laser printer works
>> fine, and will respond to escape codes sent to it from inside applications.
>> Can anyone help?

   Haven't checked this out myself, but it is very likely that each
application sends its own printer initialization codes for every print job. I
know that WP does, and this would override whatever was sent to the printer
at the beginning of the job when it is captured.

   The best way to find out if your modes are actually working (and being
overriden by your application programs) would be to test them from Dos.
Issue your capture command, then use the Dos print command to send a text
file to the printer. If it comes out in courier, or whatever you asked for,
you know that the application programs are 'guilty'. If this is the case, I
think the only solution would be to teach the users how to correctly use the
printer from each application. For example, you may want to post a list of
the printer setup sequences that have to be sent from Lotus to get different
effects.