[bit.listserv.novell] Settings to use with NCSA Telnet 2.3b4

POSTMASTER@IUGOLD.BITNET (General Delivery) (02/07/90)

From: <robelr>
To: gold::"BITNET%\"Novell@SUVM\""
Subject: RE: Settings to use with NCSA Telnet 2.3b4

> I am trying to use the SLIP packet driver with NCSA Telnet 2.3b4.  I have
> so far only managed to get a "cannot initialize board" error.
>
> What I did:
>
> 1. slip8250 0x61 slip 4 0x3f8 9600 3000 3000
>
> 2. telbin -s
>    and it complains about not being abot to initialize board (error code -2)
>
> What do I have to put in config.tel except "hardware=packet"?
>
> Any hints will be very much appreciated...

I, likewise, have run into the same problem.  I even tried the following
lines from the config.tel file that 2.2D uses to no avail.

interrupt=4      # COM1
address=6        # SLIP
ioaddr=0x60      # packet driver int vector

Looks like its back to 2.2D for the time being...

Allen Robel
Network Research & Development
University Computing Services
Indiana University
robelr@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

nelson@IMAGE.SOE.CLARKSON.EDU (Russ Nelson) (02/08/90)

   > I am trying to use the SLIP packet driver with NCSA Telnet 2.3b4.  I have
   > so far only managed to get a "cannot initialize board" error.

   Looks like its back to 2.2D for the time being...

Yes.  NCSA 2.3 doesn't seem to support SLIP over a packet driver.  If you
look at the packet driver trace, you'll see that it tries to open an IP
handle and an ARP handle.  The implication is that the SLIP8250 driver
is being treated as an Ethernet driver.

Who do I report this to?