[net.space] loncrete

REM@IMSSS (Robert Elton Maas, this host known locally only) (02/02/86)

HPM> Date: 25 Jan 86 20:21:18 EST
HPM> From: Hans.Moravec@rover.ri.cmu.edu
HPM> Subject: lunarcrete
HPM>     The 40 grams of dirt will be delivered next week to his lab at
HPM> Construction Technology Laboratories in Skokie, said Lin. It was dug
HPM> up during the Apollo 16 mission in 1972.
HPM>     Stan Sadin, a deputy director in NASA's office of aeronautics and
HPM> space technology in Washington, confirmed today that Lin's research
HPM> could lead to the establishment of a lunar concrete factory and
HPM> ''putting an outpost ... in the spirit of an Antarctic outpost'' on
HPM> the moon.

Horay!

HPM> But he said that probably wouldn't happen until after the year 2000.

Boo! The Russians sent robot landers to the Moon before Apollo 11.
Surely by now both nations are capable (modulo loss of Challanger and
consequent delay in all launches, and lack of oldstyle boosters except
some the military have and are building) of sending robot landers
which could start building an experimental remote-control
concrete-processing station as soon as Lin (no relation to our LIN I
presume) gets the procedure worked out on Earth. So, except for
funding and launch vehicles, why can't we start by 1988 instead of
waiting until men can land on Moon after 2000?

HPM>    Lin said his research could save NASA millions of dollars because
HPM> ''it will be much cheaper'' to make concrete on the moon than to
HPM> transport it from Earth.

You bet your tooting! Concrete is heavy stuff in the quantities
typically used to build habitat and factories. (On the other hand,
they make boats out of concrete sometimes.)

HPM>    For the past eight months, Lin, 52, has made concrete with simulated
HPM> lunar dirt that is twice as strong as the earthly stuff.

Hey, that's pretty damn good! Maybe they can make some on Moon for
Earth use, just put in a big bubble and float it down to Earth, just
like my earlier proposal for foam-steel containing hydrogen etc.?

mcgeer%ji@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (Rick McGeer) (02/03/86)

	Can someone please explain to me why we can't go to the moon before the
year 2000?  In 1962, Kennedy committed us to landing on the Moon within eight
years; we had to invent the technology and run three programs (Mercury, Gemini,
and Apollo), but we did it in seven years despite a major tragedy that stopped
the program for a year.  Now.  The engineering is done.  The Apollo/Saturn
design is proven technology.  Granted the production lines have to be re-tooled
to do it, I still can't undertand why we can't go to the Moon again in five
years.  Anybody?

						-- Rick.

> Can someone please explain to me why we can't go to the moon before the
> year 2000? ... we did it in seven years despite a major tragedy that stopped
> the program for a year.  Now.  The engineering is done.  The Apollo/Saturn
> design is proven technology.  Granted the production lines have to be re-tooled
> to do it, I still can't undertand why we can't go to the Moon again in five
> years.  Anybody?

Because the engineering was done, but is now GONE.  We could not build a
Saturn V today:  all the specialized tooling is gone, and so are most of
the detailed plans and specifications.  We could build something that would
look a lot like a Saturn V, but the imitation would not be accurate enough
that we could trust lives to the old calculations and test results... so
we'd have to start almost from scratch.

If you think this is a national disgrace, I agree.

NASA also is no longer equipped to launch Saturn Vs; much of the KSC support
equipment has been rebuilt for the Shuttle.  Either it would have to be
un-rebuilt, sacrificing a good bit of the Shuttle launch capability, or
new facilities would have to be built from scratch.  Things like the tracking
network would similarly have to be rebuilt.  New personnel would have to be
trained, and so forth.

And on top of all this, Apollo was done when NASA was young and vigorous.
Hardening of the arteries has set in.  To quote Del Tischler, original head
of NASA's propulsion effort:

	[NASA] evolved into what I call management by concurrence.
	The distinguishing characteristic of management by concurrence
	is that approval is necessary at every level of the management
	chain, and at several levels of political support, before
	anything can be done.  Management by concurrence enabled NASA
	to use its organization and full array of management techniques
	to study, define, review, restudy, rereview, and ultimately to
	defer the many mission prospects open to it...

	...I personally and single-handedly wrote the request for
	proposal and specifications for the F-1 engines used in the
	Saturn V vehicle in one continuous 24-hour period, then reviewed
	them with contractors the following morning.  Within the next
	three months several contractors made proposals, which were
	evaluated by NASA personnel, a selection made, a major development
	contract signed and the work started.  Now even minor space
	projects are contemplated for years, and held in abeyance for
	lack of funds for additional years before approval to proceed,
	which may never come...
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (02/06/86)

> 	Can someone please explain to me why we can't go to the moon before the
> year 2000?  In 1962, Kennedy committed us to landing on the Moon within eight
> years; we had to invent the technology and run three programs (Mercury,
> Gemini, and Apollo), but we did it in seven years despite a major tragedy
> that stopped the program for a year.  Now.  The engineering is done.  The
> Apollo/Saturn design is proven technology.  Granted the production lines
> have to be re-tooled to do it, I still can't undertand why we can't go to
> the Moon again in five years.  Anybody?

We can't go to the moon in five years because we (the collective populace of
the United States) don't want to.  If we wanted to we could.  As Lawrence of
Arabia said of Aqaba, I say, "[The moon] is that way.  It only takes going
there."

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl

jlg@lanl.UUCP (02/07/86)

In article <6361@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> Can someone please explain to me why we can't go to the moon before the
>> year 2000? ... we did it in seven years despite a major tragedy that stopped
>> the program for a year.  Now.  The engineering is done.  The Apollo/Saturn
>> design is proven technology.  Granted the production lines have to be re-tooled
>> to do it, I still can't undertand why we can't go to the Moon again in five
>> years.  Anybody?
>
>Because the engineering was done, but is now GONE.  We could not build a
>Saturn V today:  all the specialized tooling is gone, and so are most of
>the detailed plans and specifications.  We could build something that would
>look a lot like a Saturn V, but the imitation would not be accurate enough
>that we could trust lives to the old calculations and test results... so
>we'd have to start almost from scratch.

Why build another Saturn V at all?  Put a Lunar Lander and Lunar Orbiter
into the Space Shuttle cargo bay.  Next flight - bring up a trans lunar
booster.  Now dock the things together and go to the moon.  This stuff
probably wouldn't even fill the whole cargo bay - even if it were roomier
and more comfortable (and could stay on station longer) than the original
Apollo stuff.

We could go to the moon again in much less than five years if it were
an important project that got fully funded.  And the project would be
safer as well.  We may have discarded all the original designs, but the
engineering techniques were kept and have been further refined since
the sixties.  We could not build a Wright Flier today either, but who
would want to except as a historical exercise?  We could build something
that would look a lot like a Wright Flier, but he imitation would not
be accurate enough that we could fool an aviation historian - it would
be safer, with modern materials, more subtile and efficient airfoil, etc..
Of course, we could do a lot better by starting from scratch.

J. Giles
Los Alamos

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (02/08/86)

> 	...Now even minor space
> 	projects are contemplated for years, and held in abeyance for
> 	lack of funds for additional years before approval to proceed,
> 	which may never come...
> 				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

You think that's bad, try building a *minor* power plant.  A single-
turbin bump on the side off an existing dam takes five years to approve.
(And that's a conservative estimate.)

Barb

> >... the engineering was done, but is now GONE.  We could not build a
> >Saturn V today:  all the specialized tooling is gone, and so are most of
> >the detailed plans and specifications.  ...
>
> Why build another Saturn V at all?  Put a Lunar Lander and Lunar Orbiter
> into the Space Shuttle cargo bay.  Next flight - bring up a trans lunar
> booster.  Now dock the things together and go to the moon.  This stuff
> probably wouldn't even fill the whole cargo bay - even if it were roomier
> and more comfortable (and could stay on station longer) than the original
> Apollo stuff.

Of course, we'd use the Shuttle rather than re-building the Saturn V.
But my comments apply equally to the Lander -- note that the Apollo LM
development was a major pacing element in the whole program -- and the
other pieces of hardware you describe.  None of it exists in any form,
unless the Centaur G-prime would do for the booster (but as far as I
know it isn't man-rated, which is an issue).

> We could go to the moon again in much less than five years if it were
> an important project that got fully funded...

If it were a desperate-priority military project, maybe.  Not otherwise.
Project Apollo needed nearly the full time span between early planning
and Apollo 9 to get the Lunar Module designed and built.  And this was
with much simpler and more flexible management than it would have today.
There is less uncertainty about lunar conditions now, but that only helps
a little.  "much less than five years"!?!  What have you been smoking? :-)
NASA can't get *anything* major built in much less than five years.

> ...  We could not build a Wright Flier today either, but who
> would want to except as a historical exercise?  We could build something
> that would look a lot like a Wright Flier... it would
> be safer, with modern materials, more subtile and efficient airfoil, etc..

It would also cost many times as much and take longer to develop and test.
Especially if it was done by the government.  That is exactly the problem.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology