[bit.listserv.novell] Problems with CAPTURE

IF94@UNTVAX.BITNET (02/06/90)

From: if94@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
Newsgroups: novell
Subject: RE: Problems with CAPTURE
Date: 5 Feb 90 23:04:52 GMT

In article <19427.25c9f826@vaxb.acs.unt.edu>, Keith Ostertag <KOSTERTAG@WILLIAMS
   .BITNET> writes:
> I have been told by my local reseller that the 2.15 shell doesn't work
> properly with CAPTURE and that I should use the 2.11 shell instead.
> Anybody else have problems with CAPTURE and 2.15?

We've never had a problem with the CAPTURE command.  We are running
SFT/Advanced Netware 2.15; and even with a stand-alone version of WordPerfect
(ver 4.2) TI=4 we have never had a problem with CAPTURE.

                                (****--->Timothy.

KOSTERTAG@WILLIAMS.BITNET (Keith Ostertag) (02/07/90)

The problem we are having is our inability to send printer escape codes to
our HP LaserJet through the use of print jobs configured with printer modes.
For instance, we want to capture certain files and have them printed in
landscape mode or in Courier (we default to Prestige).  We would use this
with applications such as Lotus which send print jobs to DOS LPT1 routinely.
All parameters of our print jobs seem to work except the mode- we can choose
the queue, the banner, the timeout, everything, but the choice of mode doesn't
effect the printout at all.  I have tried copying the Princon.dat file to PUBLIC
   , I have set SMODE=5 for capture.exe, I have checked and rechecked the escape
codes in the printer functions associated with the modes, and sutill nothing.
The laser printer works fine, and will respond to escape codes sent to it from
inside applications.  Can anyone help?

mpalmer@UWYO.BITNET (Michael Palmer) (02/07/90)

> The problem we are having is our inability to send printer escape codes to
> our HP LaserJet through the use of print jobs configured with printer modes.
> For instance, we want to capture certain files and have them printed in
> landscape mode or in Courier (we default to Prestige).  We would use this
> with applications such as Lotus which send print jobs to DOS LPT1 routinely.
> All parameters of our print jobs seem to work except the mode- we can choose
> the queue, the banner, the timeout, everything, but the choice of mode doesn't

> effect the printout at all.  I have tried copying the Princon.dat file to PUBL
IC
>    , I have set SMODE=5 for capture.exe, I have checked and rechecked the esca
pe
> codes in the printer functions associated with the modes, and sutill nothing.
> The laser printer works fine, and will respond to escape codes sent to it from

> inside applications.  Can anyone help?

We experienced this problem, too.  In our case the problem was in
the title of the print device.  When you import the HP .PDF file it
comes into printdef with a title like, Hewlett Packard Series I/II.
Unfortunately, the "/" in the title causes the HP printer to ignore
subsequent print codes.  To fix the problem, edit the title.  Go into
printdef and select Edit Print Devices.  When you see the title
for the HP, highlight it and use the F3 key to edit the title.
You might change it to something like, Hewlett Packard LaserJet.
Give this a try, I think you'll find it works.

Michael Palmer
Wyoming Higher Education Computer Network

adt@PCMAIL.VIRGINIA.EDU (02/07/90)

>>> Problems with CAPTURE not working, etc.<<<

We were were having the same problems, most notably, that CAPTURE
under Rev C of 2.15 wouldn't close a file that CAPTURED input was
being sent to.

We solved it by going to the 8/15/89 version of NET3 (and NET4)
which we got off Netwire on Compuserve.

Hope this helps.

Tony Townsend                      |  Bitnet  :  adt@virginia.edu
Microcomputer Support Coordinator  |  Bellnet :  804-924-7567
Academic Computing Center          |  USPSnet :  Gilmer Hall
University of Virginia             |             Charlottesville, VA

DENI@CANISIUS.BITNET (Larry Deni @ Computer Center) (02/08/90)

>From:         Keith Ostertag <KOSTERTAG@WILLIAMS.BITNET>
>The problem we are having is our inability to send printer escape codes to
>our HP LaserJet through the use of print jobs configured with printer modes.
..........some text deleted.............

Check your version of PRINTDEF.  Version 1.10 is a bad version which does
NOT properly create the NET$PRN.DAT file in the public directory.
A known, good version is 1.03.  If this turns out to be your problem and
you have an older distribution of Netware on file, you should copy
the PRINTDEF.EXE into the PUBLIC directory, get rid of the NET$PRN.DAT which
was built with the bad version of PRINTDEF and build a new NET$PRN.DAT using
the good version.

Larry Deni
Technical Computing
Canisius College, Buffalo, NY
BITNET:  deni@canisius

KOSTERTAG@WILLIAMS.BITNET (Keith Ostertag) (02/14/90)

Thanks to Tony Townsend for his recommendation.  We were having problems with
CAPTURE not working properly, which was fixed by our using an older version
of PRINTDEF.EXE. We were using the version that came with our Advanced Netware
version 2.15, but only the older version (1.03) which came with 2.0a works
properly.