[net.space] Halley's Comet

koolish@bbn-cd.arpa (10/02/84)

From:  Dick Koolish <koolish@bbn-cd.arpa>

Japanese amateur Tsutomo Seki is reported to have photographed
Halley's comet, becoming the first amateur astronomer to do so.
The comet is magnitude 20.5 located at RA 6h 46m, DEC +13.0.
Seki is a well known comet hunter, having discovered six comets.

gino@voder.UUCP (Gino Bloch) (10/05/84)

[this line is ephemeral]

I would like to take this opportunity to bring up, as I do every
75 or 76 years, that the name Halley rhymes with alley; the first
syllable is NOT hail.
Obsessively compulsively yours,
--
Gene E. Bloch (...!nsc!voder!gino)

space@mit-mc (03/29/85)

From: Andrew V Royappa <avr@Purdue.ARPA>

	Well, I don't know about you, but I certainly have been
waiting a while for Halley's Comet to arrive. Shouldn't it
be here this year or the next ? Could anyone give precise
dates, and if possible info about locations to watch it from.

			Thank you,

					Andrew Royappa @ Purdue

don@umd5.UUCP (03/30/85)

> From: Andrew V Royappa <avr@Purdue.ARPA>
>
> 	Well, I don't know about you, but I certainly have been
> waiting a while for Halley's Comet to arrive. Shouldn't it
> be here this year or the next ? Could anyone give precise
> dates, and if possible info about locations to watch it from.

[]
Halley's Comet should be visible this winter until April or May 1986.
For the latest up-to-the-minute information on Halley's Comet
one may call (long-distance for most) the National Bureau of Standards/
Naval Observatory computer bulletin board (300/1200 baud, even parity) at
  (202) 653-1079  (Washington, DC)

The bulletin board contains press releases and is open to the public.
"Space, the final frontier .." Final, hell! It's the ultimate frontier!!

-Chris Sylvain

  ARPA: don@umd5.ARPA
BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
 CSNET: don@umd5
  UUCP: {seismo, rlgvax, allegra, brl-bmd, nrl-css}!umcp-cs!cvl!umd5!don

rg@kitc.UUCP (R. Gilbert) (09/06/85)

Can anyone answer the following questions on Halley's Comet?

1) What is it composed of?
2) How big is it?  It's tail?  What does it weigh?
3) How often does it visit the earth (precisely)?
4) How close does it come to the earth?
5) What does it orbit?
6) How was it created?
7) How hot or cold is it?
8) How bright is it?

Any other bits of data you can think of.

Thanks,

Bob Gilbert

jamesp@dadla.UUCP (Jim Perkins) (09/11/85)

Dear Bob Gilbert, and others on the net curious about Halley's Comet:

>Can anyone answer the following questions on Halley's Comet?

>1) What is it composed of?

A comet consists of a nucleus of solid matter, a halo of vaporizing ices
expelled from the nucleus, and a tail of gaseous matter.

The nucleus consists of ices of all varieties -- water ices, methane ices,
ammonia ices, small rocks (probably) and a lot of dust.  The halo is composed
of chunks of ice and vaporized ices, expelled into space.  The tail consists of
these ices after they have been vaporized by the heat of the sun.  The tail
always points away from the sun, as the charged particles of the solar wind
(these are hot particles ejected from the sun, happens all the time, but
especially during solar flares) blow the ices outward from the sun.  The tail
also has free radicals floating around in it, such as cyanide (CN) and
hydroxide (OH), which are caused by particles of the solar wind bombarding the
tail and breaking the molecules of vaporized ice into pieces.  These caused a
big to-do in 1910 when Halley's Comet last visited the Earth -- spectrometers
revealed the poisonous cyanide in the tail and people everywhere thought
the inhabitants of the Earth would perish.  Entrepeneurs sold gas masks and
pills, and people had wild bacchanalian parties in what they felt were their
last days.  Alas, if they had only listened to the scientists, who had said
that the concentrations of the poisons were so small that they would have no
effect on Earth lifeforms.

>2) How big is it?  It's tail?  What does it weigh?

The nucleus is probably about 20-30 miles in diameter, roughly spherical,
weighing around 4/3 * pi * (40km)^3 * (1 g * cm^-3) = 2 x 10^17 kg (Unless I
calculated wrong), the halo is perhaps a couple thousand miles in diameter,
and its tail can reach 100 or more million miles in length.

>3) How often does it visit the earth (precisely)?

Halley's comet visits the inner solar system every 75-80 years, the period of
its orbit is not precise because it is perturbed by gravitational influences of
the planets, particularly large planets like Jupiter and Saturn ("perturbation"
means the orbit is pulled into slightly different shapes).  Reports of
Halley's comet have been tracked back to 164 B.C. on Babylonian Tablets and
(not-so-reliably) to 240 B.C. on Chinese records.  Its last visit was in
1910, 75 years ago.  The comet will be visible from Earth from November, 1985
to about May, 1985 (Or is it March; anyway, I'm close).

>4) How close does it come to the earth?

In 1910 the Earth passed through the comet's tail, but that will not happen
this time.  In fact, the comet is not going to come very close to the earth,
only several tens of millions of miles away (I don't know the exact distance).

The fact that the Earth is far away from the comet or that the comet is coming
in the winter does not mean we will have to peer wistfully at it from our
distant vantage point.  There are several probes being sent to visit the comet
at closer range.  The missions are sponsored by The Soviet Union, Japan, the
European Space Agency, and someone else (I think -- don't quote me on this).
The United States' own NASA was not able to send a probe, due to lack of
development funds (Thank Reagan for that!)  The closest approach I recall
being stated is ~100,000 miles.  Should be pretty exciting -- we should get
pictures almost as good as those from craft like Pioneer and Voyager.

>5) What does it orbit?

Halley's comet, like all comets in our solar system, orbits the sun.  All
planets in the solar system also orbit the sun.  Now most planets orbit the
sun roughly in circular orbits -- actually, as Johannes Kepler noted in the
1600's (around then), all planets are actually orbiting the sun in
oval-shaped curves called ellipses, with the sun at one focus of the
elliptical orbit (If you must know some of the physics involved, This effect
is caused by the inverse-square strength of the gravitational force and the
conservation of momentum).  A focus of an ellipse is off-center, and for the
planets is quite close to the middle of the ellipse.  For a comet, however,
the sun's focus is near the edge of the ellipse.

The above means that the comet is only close to the sun for a short period of
time.  This is why the planets (in almost circular orbits) are visible and
fairly nearby just about all of the time, and comets are so rare.  Most of the
time, Halley's comet is off in the toodly-bushes of the solar system, at the
distance of the planet Uranus -- only once every 75-80 years does it come
falling into the solar system, careening past the sun and inner planets, and
then wandering off into the nether reaches of space again.

>6) How was it created?

Scientists believe that comets were formed at the same time as the other
planets in the solar system were formed.  No comets formed close to the sun,
because the heat of the young star vaporized and drove away all the ices and
gases close to the star.  This is probably why the inner four planets
(Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars), are so rocky and dense, while all of the
significant outer planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune) are gaseous,
light (for their size), cold and have icy moons.  Scientists believe that
there is a large cloud of small dusty, icy balls that SLOWLY orbit the sun far
out past the orbit of the outermost known planet, Pluto.  This cloud is called
the Oort cloud, after the man who suggested its presence.

Now these dusty, icy balls are made of the same thing the nucleus of a comet
is.  Every once in a while, one of these dusty, icy balls will have an orbit
that brings it deep into the heart of the solar system, right near the sun.
If you remember the year 1976, Comet Kohoutek was one of these "long-period"
comets.

As any comet comes zooming close in to the sun, the surface starts to heat up,
and ices on the surface start to vaporize and form a halo.  As the comet gets
nearer and nearer the sun, the ices vaporize faster and faster, and the tiny
molecules of gas in the halo start to get blown away from the hot sun by the
solar wind.  Pretty soon the comet grows a long tail.  If the comet comes too
close to the sun, it may fragment into bits and pieces, forming a train of
small rocky debris which the Earth might pass through.  The debris will then
fall into the Earth's atmosphere and cause a meteor shower.  However, most
comets don't come this close to the sun, and merely form nice pretty long
tails for the few months they are near to the sun.

As the comet leaves the vicinity of the sun, the surface of the nucleus cools,
the halo becomes less intense, the tail becomes more ephemeral, and the comet
disappears from the night sky.

Most of the "long-period" comets go zooming back out into the Oort cloud, not
to be heard from for another million years or so.  Some of these comets,
however, manage to zoom into the solar system near a massive planet like
Jupiter or Saturn.  These comets pass so close to the big planets that the
strong gravity of the planet slows them down and greatly perturbs their orbit,
causing them to be "captured" and become residents of the inner solar system,
where they will have a short period and can be enjoyed every 50-1000 years or
so.  The comet may orbit the sun several times, then pass by the big planets
again, and drop into an orbit even closer to the sun, where it will visit
every 5-100 years.  These comets, captured by gravity from the far reaches of
the Oort cloud, are called "short-term" comets.  Halley's comet is of this
type, and in all likelihood it used to be one of the ditant long-term comets a
million years ago or so.

>7) How hot or cold is it?

The nucleus is very, very cold, close to the temperature of absolute zero (-270
C or -450 F).  The ices it is composed of could not exist on the sultry
surface of our lovely planet Earth, where of all the common cometary ices,
only water ice exists (ammonia ices and methane ices form at very cold
temperatures).  The halo and tail are composed of vapors, which may be cold
(from about -150 C or -300 F) or hot (to 1000 C or 1500 F)

>8) How bright is it?

The comet will be bright enough to be easily seen by the naked eye, if you are
lucky enough to have a clear night.  You must look at it when it is visible in
the night sky, however.  Just as the moon is not visible every night at 9:00
pm, there will be nights when the Comet is not visible at 9:00 pm.  You may
need to get up at 3:00 am to see it.  Let this early hour never deter you, for
it will be beautiful, and indeed awesome in its beauty.  It will be very
interesting to see how it changes from night to night.  (I am going to try to
drive up to the top of a 5000-foot mountain to see it every chance I get!)

Later daze,
--

     ____________________
    /		      /	 \		James T. Perkins
	   |	 |			orstcs!jamesp
	   |	 |
	   |	 |			4635 SW Hillside Drive
	   |	 |			Portland, OR 97221
	   \_____/
					212 Poling Hall, OSU
					Corvallis, OR 97331
       T h e  T u b e s

A lot of people I know believe in positive thinking, and so do I.  I
believe everything positively stinks.
		-- Lew Col

> ...  There are several probes being sent to visit the comet
> at closer range.  The missions are sponsored by The Soviet Union, Japan, the
> European Space Agency, and someone else (I think -- don't quote me on this).

The exact count is 2 Soviet (with some French participation), 2 Japanese
(one of which is an engineering test vehicle with limited sensors), and
1 European (the most sophisticated of the lot).  That's it.

> The United States' own NASA was not able to send a probe, due to lack of
> development funds (Thank Reagan for that!)

Actually, I think Carter is equally to blame.  These things have long lead
times.  I don't remember exact dates, though.

> The closest approach I recall
> being stated is ~100,000 miles.  Should be pretty exciting -- we should get
> pictures almost as good as those from craft like Pioneer and Voyager.

The closest approach for Giotto (the ESA probe) is going to be hundreds,
not hundreds of thousands, of miles.  The pictures should be spectacular;
cross your fingers and pray that Giotto survives long enough!  A very close
encounter with a comet at about 70 kps is not the safest of maneuvers.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

szyld@duke.UUCP (Daniel B. Szyld) (09/16/85)

In today's (Sunday Sept.15) New York Times Magazine there is an article on
Halley's including viewing dates, etc. It will be seen from the end of Dec.
to mid April.
The cover article is called "To the edge of the Universe, the new age of
Astronomy" and it was written by John Noble Wilford. It includes a
description of NASA's space telescope and several pictures of the Milky Way.
Good reading....

--

Daniel B. Szyld, Dept.of Computer Science, Duke University,
Durham NC 27706-2591. Phone (919)684-3048. Telex 802829 DUKTELCOM DURM

kotter@muscat.UUCP (Rich Kotter) (09/17/85)

> not hundreds of thousands, of miles.  The pictures should be spectacular;
> cross your fingers and pray that Giotto survives long enough!  A very close
> encounter with a comet at about 70 kps is not the safest of maneuvers.
> --

Being a bit of a novice at such things, I don't know what kps refers to
in this posting. Anyone care to shed some light?

--

					Rich Kotter
					DEC Portland Oregon

dta@cpsc53.UUCP (Doug Anderson) (09/19/85)

> > not hundreds of thousands, of miles.  The pictures should be spectacular;
> > cross your fingers and pray that Giotto survives long enough!  A very close
> > encounter with a comet at about 70 kps is not the safest of maneuvers.
> > --
>
> Being a bit of a novice at such things, I don't know what kps refers to
> in this posting. Anyone care to shed some light?
>

> --
>
> 					Rich Kotter
> 					DEC Portland Oregon
> 					decvax!decwrl!muscat!kotter

	How about Kilometers Per Second
		  ^          ^   ^
		  ^          ^   ^

jkw@lanl.ARPA (09/23/85)

> > not hundreds of thousands, of miles.  The pictures should be spectacular;
> > cross your fingers and pray that Giotto survives long enough!  A very close
> > encounter with a comet at about 70 kps is not the safest of maneuvers.
> > --
>
> Being a bit of a novice at such things, I don't know what kps refers to
> in this posting. Anyone care to shed some light?

  Kilometers per second.

	  Jay Wooten  Los Alamos National Lab  ARPA:jkw@lanl.ARPA

cew@ISI-HOBGOBLIN.ARPA (Craig E. Ward) (10/29/85)

The November meeting of OASIS/L5 will feature a presentation about Halley's
Comet by Tom McDonough.

Mr. McDonough is a lecturer in Engineering at CalTech, SETI coordinator for
the Planetary Society and author of the forthcoming book Halley's Comet:
A Viewer's Guide.

He will discuss the history of the comet and give an overview of how and where
to view it during its 1985-86 approach.

Time and place:

	Saturday, November 16, 1985 7:00 p.m.
	Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Von Karmen Auditorium
	Pasadena, CA

Admission is free and open to the public.

General information about OASIS/L5 events may be obtained by calling
(213)374-1381.

Slocum@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (02/05/86)

> Halley's  [rhymes with "valleys"]

I heard a radio news program that interviewed a descendant of Halley
who said that everyone has got the pronunciation wrong. He said that
it doesn't rhyme with "valley" or "daily", but rhymes with "volley".
Haw-lee.  He should know, being a descendant.

michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) (02/07/86)

In article <860205154812.158427@HI-MULTICS.ARPA> Slocum@HI-MULTICS.ARPA writes:
>> Halley's  [rhymes with "valleys"]
>
>I heard a radio news program that interviewed a descendant of Halley
>who said that everyone has got the pronunciation wrong. He said that
>it doesn't rhyme with "valley" or "daily", but rhymes with "volley".
>Haw-lee.  He should know, being a descendant.

*Science 85* last year mentioned that in Edmund Halley's time
people frequently spelled things phonetically and that Halley
himself usually spelled his name "Hawley."  Thus we know that
the descendant of Halley you heard is quite correct, and that
Edmund Halley did, in fact, pronounce his name as "Hawley."

--

Michael McNeil
3Com Corporation     "All disclaimers including this one apply"

	If the number of the Fixt Stars were more than
	finite, the whole superficies of their apparent
	Sphere [i.e. the sky] would be luminous.*
		Edmund Halley, 1720, "Of the infinity of the
		sphere of fix'd stars" and "Of the number,
		order, and light of the fix'd stars"

	*By today's reasoning the same temperature as the
	surface of the average star; this is known today as
	Olber's paradox, or the paradox of P. L. de Cheseaux
	(1744) and Henrich Wilhelm Matthias Olbers (1826).

> *Science 85* last year mentioned that in Edmund Halley's time
> people frequently spelled things phonetically and that Halley
> himself usually spelled his name "Hawley."  Thus we know that
> the descendant of Halley you heard is quite correct, and that
> Edmund Halley did, in fact, pronounce his name as "Hawley."

The JBIS special issue on Halley's Comet, which has been reviewed as
"a better overview than most of the Halley's Comet books", observes that
Halley's name was spelled in several different ways even at the time,
and that there is no longer any way to be absolutely sure just how it
was pronounced.  Reports from his descendants carry no special weight,
because the pronunciation of ordinary names changes too.  I believe JBIS
did say that "Hawley" is rather more likely to be correct, though.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology