[net.space] Joy rides

bilbo.niket@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU ("Niket K. Patwardhan") (01/23/86)

We have now had two Congressmen take a joyride in the shuttle, and I'm sure
that us lesser folk would like to enjoy one too. Supposing you could go into
space.... not into orbit, but just out of the atmosphere for 10 minutes to an
hour, how much would you be willing to pay? You'd experience zero G, the
launch, the blackness of space, and really see the Earth. Would this be just as
hard (difficult, costly, etc) as achieving orbit? In my opinion $10 per ticket
would make it as popular as Disneyland, and $100 would cause most people to
forget it.

Comments on your trade-off price direct to me (I'll post a summary).

space@ucbvax.berkeley.edu.UUCP (01/24/86)

--------
I'd pay a thousand or so.

John Hasler (...ihnp4!umn-cs!crickman)

white@BRAHMS (Samuel P. White) (01/24/86)

In article <8601222243.AA04061@s1-b.arpa> you write:
>We have now had two Congressmen take a joyride in the shuttle, and I'm sure
>that us lesser folk would like to enjoy one too. Supposing you could go into
>space.... not into orbit, but just out of the atmosphere for 10 minutes to an
>hour, how much would you be willing to pay? You'd experience zero G, the
>launch, the blackness of space, and really see the Earth. Would this be just as
>hard (difficult, costly, etc) as achieving orbit? In my opinion $10 per ticket
>would make it as popular as Disneyland, and $100 would cause most people to
>forget it.
>
>Comments on your trade-off price direct to me (I'll post a summary).
Are you seriously implying that most people would turn down a chance to
go to space even if it cost 100 dollars?  Personally,  I think there
are many people who would think money was no object, they would
pay more just to get a chance for a ride.  People already
pay 100s of dollars for short plane trips, certainly they would be
be willing to pay more for a trip of a lifetime even if it does go
nowhere but up and back. :-)  I think that at even 1,000 dollars
it would be hard to keep the flood back.

space@ucbvax.UUCP (01/26/86)

In article <8601222243.AA04061@s1-b.arpa> you write:
>                                                 Supposing you could go into
>space.... not into orbit, but just out of the atmosphere for 10 minutes to an
>hour, how much would you be willing to pay? You'd experience zero G, the
>launch, the blackness of space, and really see the Earth. Would this be just as
>hard (difficult, costly, etc) as achieving orbit? In my opinion $10 per ticket
>would make it as popular as Disneyland, and $100 would cause most people to
>forget it.
>
>Comments on your trade-off price direct to me (I'll post a summary).

For me. personally:
	1) Sub-orbital "jaunt" (say, 10 minutes). $100 and I'd do it now!
	   $500 and I'd think about it, $1000 probably not (but maybe).

	2) 1 Orbit (90 minutes). $1000 and I'd do it now! Above that &
	   I'd think about it.

						-- Bob Gottlieb
UUCP: ...!linus!alliant!gottlieb
Mail: Alliant Computer Systems Corp, 42 Nagog Park, Acton, MA 01720
Phone: (617) 263-9110
Foot:  "You can't get there from here".
"I don't know what I'm doing, and Alliant isn't responsible either, so there!"

julian@riacs.ARPA (Julian E. Gomez) (01/26/86)

> We have now had two Congressmen take a joyride in the shuttle, and I'm sure
> that us lesser folk would like to enjoy one too. Supposing you could go into
> space.... not into orbit, but just out of the atmosphere for 10 minutes to an
> hour, how much would you be willing to pay? You'd experience zero G, the
> launch, the blackness of space, and really see the Earth. Would this be just as
> hard (difficult, costly, etc) as achieving orbit? In my opinion $10 per ticket
> would make it as popular as Disneyland, and $100 would cause most people to
> forget it.

I'd sell my Macintosh for a ride on the shuttle!
(No :-] on this one, I'm serious! Really!)

--
"If Chaos himself sat umpire, what better could he do?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez  (ARPA: julian@riacs)
	415-694-6141        415-694-6363  (UUCP: decvax!decwrl!julian@riacs)
	RIACS - Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (01/26/86)

Recently, I was asked this question during a ski weekend prior to Usenix.
I would personally love to make a shuttle ride as my friend Julian Gomez
could attest, but I feel that in the early stages of the space program,
as we are in, we should refrain from joy riding.  Garn had more justification
than the second Congressman.  Today we should be sending a teacher into
space and soon a reporter.  As a NASA employee, I would probably be
one of the least likely picked (but would love to go if the job required
it [an earlier job of mine required that I learn to ski :-) ]) for such
joy rides.  My opinion is that those personnel whose skills and imaginations
can best benefit mankind and space development should go first (I
think this excludes the second Congressman). [11:24 PST, we just had a strong
earthquake (planetary science in action).]  Joy rides too early in the program
will only justify the thoughts of those against space (there are many).
And if you think a ride in space will change their minds, you only need
walk three block North of the Capitol to understand.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,decwrl,allegra}!ames!aurora!eugene
  emiya@ames-nas.ARPA

p.s. A friend in Santa Barbara has plunked down $50,000 with Pan Am
for a ride.....

space@ucbvax.UUCP (01/27/86)

10 minutes in space?  Put me down for $1000.  Check follows by U.S. mail.
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim

>> [ discussing joyrides in the shuttle ]  Supposing you could go into
>> space.... not into orbit, but just out of the atmosphere for 10
>> minutes to an hour, how much would you be willing to pay?  [...]  In
>> my opinion $10 per ticket would make it as popular as Disneyland,
>> and $100 would cause most people to forget it.
> Are you seriously implying that most people would turn down a chance to
> go to space even if it cost 100 dollars?  Personally,  I think there
> are many people who would think money was no object, they would
> pay more just to get a chance for a ride.  People already
> pay 100s of dollars for short plane trips

     I  think  your  analogy  with   planes  is  stretched   (charitably
speaking).   I pay $200 for a plane  trip  not for the trip,  but to get
from  point  A  to  point  B.  The  trip  itself  usually  is  not  even
particularly enjoyable.

     There  would  probably be  a brief spate of  people willing  to pay
whatever  it takes, tapering off to a trickle.  In a decade  or two such
trips  will be as commonplace and boring  as plane rides are now.    (My
prediction only!)
--
					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
        mcvax!seismo!cmcl2!philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse

Hacker: One who accidentally destroys /
Wizard: One who recovers it afterward

space@ucbvax.UUCP (01/28/86)

an hour?  $200.  yea! let's go! where do i send the check?

--

						Tommy Phillips
From the banks of the great grey-green greasy Limpopo River,

				cisden!phillips

space@ucbvax.UUCP (01/28/86)

$1000 for a quick ride out of the atmosphere
$7500 for an orbital trip
$30K for round-trip to the moon

Another interesting question is: How much would you expect to get paid
to live and work a) in orbit, or b) on the moon?

In orbit: 25K + living expenses
On moon: 5-10K + living expenses

Kendall Auel
tektronix!orca!kendalla

space@ucbvax.UUCP (01/28/86)

At $100, I would almost certainly take it.  At $1000, almost certainly not.
The breakeven point for me is probably around $250.

Consider that while the flight itself is only an hour or so, the total
experience is a full-day event.  People pay $40 or so for a day at Disney
World.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

space@ucbvax.UUCP (01/28/86)

I would pay about $400 for the ride.  At least once.  After
that I would be willing to pay $100 or so a time.  Contrast
this with skiing:  $27-35 lift ticket, $20-30 equipment rental,
$80 or so for a room to stay in, not to mention food, parking ...
Those numbers are for one day.  Also for comparison, a hot air
balloon ride is typically $75-100 for an hour...

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (01/28/86)

In article <8601222243.AA04061@s1-b.arpa>, bilbo.niket@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU ("Niket K. Patwardhan") writes:
> (... )                                In my opinion $10 per ticket
> would make it as popular as Disneyland, and $100 would cause most people to
> forget it.

Hot air balloon rides are typically $75-100 for an hour ride.
They sell reasonable well.  Space should have at least a few
hundred thousand folks willing to pay $500-1000 each and many
more who would pay $100.

Compare with skiing:  Ticket $27 at Squaw, equipment rental $20-30?
or more  (I havn't rented in a long time...), not to mention getting
there and motels.  Lots of people skii.
--
E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.

space@ucbvax.UUCP (01/28/86)

I knew about 20 people who were willing to spend $200 each for a 4 day
raft trip down the Colorado river.  $100 probably wouldn't discourage them
from a shuttle "joy ride".

...smeagol\			Steve Schlaifer
......wlbr->!jplgodo!steve	Advance Projects Group, Jet Propulsion Labs
....group3/			4800 Oak Grove Drive, M/S 156/204
				Pasadena, California, 91109
					+1 818 354 3171

klr@hadron.UUCP (01/28/86)

Let us again raise the old question of a lottery for a chance to
ride on the shuttle.  Price the tickets at the $25 to $100 range,
make the ticket transferable, and place a restriction, that the
winner or user of the prize must be physically able to meet the
physical and other requirements of the trip.  Not only would it
increase public interest in the shuttle, but would provide an
acceptable way to raise funds for the space program.

I would definately be up for buying a ticket or two for a chance.

space@ucbvax.UUCP (01/28/86)

This message is empty.

neth@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (01/28/86)

I read in Money magazine the other day that a company is going to be offering
trips in space sometime in 1990.  Cost for 3-8 orbits (depending on mission)
was ~$50,000!  Of course, you also get two meals and 3 days of pre-flight
training.  The article read like they were going to build their own machine.

I wonder how the recent tragedy of Challenger will impact this venture?

space@ucbvax.UUCP (01/29/86)

I would gladly pay $100 to take a ride into space as described.  I think
$500 - $1000 would be the upper limit.

Even with today's tragedy.

  Alan Batie  ...tektronix!reed!omssw2!argent!batie

space@ucbvax.UUCP (01/29/86)

In article <8601222243.AA04061@s1-b.arpa> you write:
>... Supposing you could go into
>space.... not into orbit, but just out of the atmosphere for 10 minutes to an
>hour, how much would you be willing to pay? You'd experience zero G, the
>launch, the blackness of space, and really see the Earth. Would this be just as
>hard (difficult, costly, etc) as achieving orbit? In my opinion $10 per ticket
>would make it as popular as Disneyland, and $100 would cause most people to
>forget it.
>
>Comments on your trade-off price direct to me (I'll post a summary).

You could avoid the costs of getting the vehicle to the exact orbital
postion, but the amount of fuel you would save wouldn't be that much.
Maybe doing a piggy-back launch from a 747 would be a win on that count.
As far as the price goes, if you could do it for $1000 a ticket and come
out ahead you would impress a lot of people.  You would also still be
likely to be booked for years, price notwithstanding.  The "space camps"
are doing pretty brisk business, and they don't even get you out of the
atmosphere.  As a comparison of other successfull rides, consider that
a balloon ride costs around $100 around here, a helicopter ride of 10 min.
costs around $20, a plane ticket across the US costs $500 (or if you cut
the frills and pack 'em in there, $140).  Sure, most people would forget
it at $1000, but if .1% were still willing, you would have enough business
to keep you busy for a long time.
Nemo

mel@wjvax.UUCP (Melchor R. Tolentino) (01/30/86)

In article <8601280337.AA06255@pwa-b.UUCP> space@ucbvax.uucp writes:
>At $100, I would almost certainly take it.  At $1000, almost certainly not.
>The breakeven point for me is probably around $250.

After yesterdays tragedy, I was wondering if anyone out there has changed
their minds on joyrides to space. It's amazing how we all took the success
of the space shuttle for granted. I guess it reflects the mentality of todays
'space generation'.

By the way, sign me up . I'll still go.

The future doesn't belong to the faint-hearted,

         it belongs to the brave.

         President Ronald Reagan
       In Honor of the Challenger 7
           January 28,1986

--

              Mel Tolentino (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix,vecpyr,certes,isi}!wjvax!mel

np42pf@sdcc12.UUCP (Pierre Flament) (01/30/86)

A transatlantic Concord ticket costs ~2000$ to 3000$.
And the plane is barely profitable. How could you possibly
be profitable with Joy Rides in the 1000$ range ?

space@ucbvax.UUCP (01/31/86)

Even after the crash for $100 I'd go in a minute. $200 maybe, $300? No.

Jack Mitchell
mitchell!bgsuvax

ingrid@pilchuckDataio.UUCP (the Real Swede) (02/01/86)

> $1000 for a quick ride out of the atmosphere
> $7500 for an orbital trip
> $30K for round-trip to the moon
>
> Another interesting question is: How much would you expect to get paid
> to live and work a) in orbit, or b) on the moon?

There's a company here in Seattle that's taking reservations for
citizens who (yes even in the wake of last week's tragedy) wish to
be Shuttle passengers. Brace yourselves, though...it's 50,000.00$ a
crack...some person called up the morning of the crash, and ordered
five reservations. Mabye it stirred up some sort of resolve.

space@ucbvax.UUCP (02/01/86)

Hard to give a good upper limit ...... $1000 is very reasonable and I
would pay more ($5000?) if I had the money.

In article <648@wjvax.wjvax.UUCP> mel@wjvax.UUCP (Melchor R. Tolentino) writes:

>After yesterdays tragedy, I was wondering if anyone out there has changed
>their minds on joyrides to space. It's amazing how we all took the success
>of the space shuttle for granted. I guess it reflects the mentality of todays
>'space generation'.

	Its still really quite safe - as has been pointed out it has
the best safety record of any new transport technology!

>By the way, sign me up . I'll still go.

	Around here there was talk of printing up T-shirts that say:

         still
	I   want  to go!
	  ^

	If they are made I will probably buy on.
	(Actually I would probably not pass the physical - I have
severe sinusitis due to allergies)
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

markp@valid.UUCP (Mark P.) (02/03/86)

Considering that I enjoy such things as motoring at 100MPH plus and jumping
out of airplanes (with a parachute, please), I could justify several K$ for
an orbit as the ULTIMATE RIDE.  Of course, that figure jumps dramatically
as ability to pay rises.  Hopefully that includes a landing ( 8-) ).

			Mark Papamarcos @ Valid Logic
			{hplabs,pyramic,...}!pesnta!valid!markp

Sometimes you just gotta say, "What the heck." (sic.)

crickman@umn-cs.UUCP (Robin Crickman) (02/03/86)

------
> In article <8601280337.AA06255@pwa-b.UUCP> space@ucbvax.uucp writes:
> >At $100, I would almost certainly take it.  At $1000, almost certainly not.

> After yesterdays tragedy, I was wondering if anyone out there has changed     > their minds on joyrides to space.
>
>               Mel Tolentino (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)

I will still pay $1000.  Maybe more.

John Hasler (guest of ...ihnp4!umn-cs!crickman)

In article <648@wjvax.wjvax.UUCP> mel@wjvax.UUCP (Melchor R. Tolentino) writes:

>In article <8601280337.AA06255@pwa-b.UUCP> space@ucbvax.uucp writes:
>>At $100, I would almost certainly take it.  At $1000, almost certainly not.
>>The breakeven point for me is probably around $250.
>
>After yesterdays tragedy, I was wondering if anyone out there has changed
>their minds on joyrides to space. It's amazing how we all took the success
>of the space shuttle for granted. I guess it reflects the mentality of todays
>'space generation'.

Since the quote above is mine, I might as well respond to this.  Yes, I
would still go.  The risks were there all the time, and I knew it.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (02/04/86)

> $1000 for a quick ride out of the atmosphere
> $7500 for an orbital trip
> $30K for round-trip to the moon
>
> Another interesting question is: How much would you expect to get paid
> to live and work a) in orbit, or b) on the moon?

Paid?  You mean I would get paid?  I'd do it for free.
--
E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.

MHARRIS@BBNA.ARPA (02/04/86)

At the 1985 edition of the EAA Fly-In at Oshkosh, the major attraction was
participation by a Concorde, featuring low passes, touch-and-goes (!), and
30-minute "Joy Rides".  The rides cost $450 as I recall, and were sold out
with long waiting lists.  The dollar values people are placing on Shuttle
seem therefore to be quite low.

richter@GMR.CSNET (Roy Richter) (02/05/86)

I'd pay $1000 for the ten-minute ride.  Make that twenty minutes.

However, I found this in the Feb 86 Changing Times magazine, p.22:

Society Expeditions is taking reservations (for 1992) rides into space.
The company will use two conical vehicles to rocket 20 passengers and a crew
1000 miles into the great beyond.  You get 3 days pre-flight training,
8 to 12 hour ride in space (two meals included).  This is enough for
5-8 orbits, depending on the pattern.  Claimed is a max of 3 g's on liftoff.
The usual tour-guide services are provided (lectures, ``On your left
you see Africa,'' that sort of thing.)

They predict 1000 people/year by the late 1990's.  Start saving now, though:
You can hold a seat with a $5000 deposit, refundable up to one year before
the flight.  $50,000 for the flight, $2000 for pre-flight training.
More info at Society Expeditions, 723 Broadway E., Seattle WA 98102
or 800-426-7994.

Would somebody tell me if this is for real?  According to the low-brows
I've seen respond so far, $50K is out of line.

Roy Richter
Physics Department
General Motors Research Labs

****** Standard disclaimer, of course *****

NNicoll.ES@XEROX.COM (02/05/86)

How much would you pay for a 'fake' space ride, but one complete with 0
gravity?
Consider a 5km long track or tube suspended in the proper parabolic
curve out in the desert someplace and a surplus steam catapult from the
Navy to launch capsules into it with enough force to let you experience
'liftoff' and leave you with enough speed to experience a minute of 0g
as you coast down the other side of the curve.  The rider would wear a
helmet utilizing NASA's 'full field of view' 3D viewing system and
stereo headphones to complete the illusion.

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (02/06/86)

In article <2737@amdahl.UUCP>, ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) writes:
> > Another interesting question is: How much would you expect to get paid
> > to live and work a) in orbit, or b) on the moon?
> >
> Paid?  You mean I would get paid?  I'd do it for free.

    I think the proper question is:  How much would you pay to live and ...

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {your favorite backbone site}!hplabs!well!farren

gml@ssc-vax.UUCP (Gregory M Lobdell) (02/07/86)

> > Another interesting question is: How much would you expect to get paid
> > to live and work a) in orbit, or b) on the moon?
> >
> Paid?  You mean I would get paid?  I'd do it for free.
> E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

So would I.  That is, I would work and live on the moon or in orbit
for room and board.  I also would probably be willing to work for
much less than I am now if a fringe benifit of such a job was a trip
into space.  Anyone else feel this way?

On the subject of Joy rides, if the object is weightlessness, how
about parabolic plane rides. NASA uses it to train astronauts, and
from the films that I've seen it looks pretty fun.  Each period of
weightlessness might not last long but it would be followed by a
period of high G, which would be similar to launch.  Now I'll grant
you that you wouldn't be able to look out and see the curve of the
Earth, but it certainly would be more exciting than any carnival
ride and cheaper to operate than a real space vehicle.

I wanna go for a ride!!!

Gregg Lobdell
Boeing Aerospace
Seattle, WA
{decvax,ihnp4}!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!gml

space@ucbvax.UUCP (02/08/86)

Guess a) who's designing and building the space ship and b) what the name of
the ship is?

a) Gary Hudson (SSI's first rocket designer -- the first one blew up)

b) The Phoenix.  An appropriate name, I think.  Nice toy to look at too.
Maybe he can do it...

Bob Hettinga

> Society Expeditions is taking reservations (for 1992) rides into space...
> Would somebody tell me if this is for real?  According to the low-brows
> I've seen respond so far, $50K is out of line.

It's for real, but if you put down your deposit now you are gambling that
the vehicle they are planning on using will be funded to completion and
will work.  There is reason to hope that it will.  There is also reason to
fear that it might not; it's a high-risk investment just now.  On the other
hand, if you wait and see, you may find yourself at the end of a rather long
lineup; apparently there have been a *lot* of reservations made, and deposits
paid, already.

If I had $5000 that I could spare just now, and expected to have
$50K available by 1992 or thereabouts, I'd book one.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/10/86)

In article <547@ssc-vax.UUCP> gml@ssc-vax.UUCP (Gregory M Lobdell) writes:

>On the subject of Joy rides, if the object is weightlessness, how
>about parabolic plane rides. NASA uses it to train astronauts, and
>from the films that I've seen it looks pretty fun.
>I wanna go for a ride!!!
>
>Gregg Lobdell
>Boeing Aerospace
>Seattle, WA
>{decvax,ihnp4}!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!gml

Yes, it does look like fun. However, it costs a lot of money to fly it,
and when NASA sends it up for 40 parabolas, it flies 40 parabolas, whether
the people inside are begging to stop or not. They don't call it the
"Vomit Comet" for nothing, y'know.

--MKR

dms@MIT-HERMES.ARPA (David M. Siegel) (02/11/86)

This discussion is silly. The cost of joy rides will be quite high for
the long term future; even the $50,000 price someone quoted seems low.
NASA charges around 10 million to launch a satellite, and they can fit
2 of them in the cargo bay. (Even this 20 million doesn't cover the
cost of the flight.) Say they can fit 50 people in a modified cargo
bay: that would put the cost at around $400,000 per person, assuming
NASA wanted to charge at around the same rate they do for satellites.

I should also add that since (wealthy) people are willing to spend 50
grand on a boat cruise, a market for 100 grand space trips probably
exists. But for a 100-10000 dollar space trip, forget it.

krantz@csd2.UUCP (Michaelntz) (02/22/86)

I think you folks all underestimate the draw of such a trip.

As for me, in my current economic circumstance, I couldn't
pay more than $500.00.  If I was in charge of a shuttle,
though, and needed to raise lots of dough for research or
whatever, I'd set a price over $100,000, and watch all the
rich, bored Americans line up like lemmings...